A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

Pirates at the exotic beach resort?

*Free plot bunny, for a good home.*

Absolutely. They are active off the Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia resort beaches. Sorry I didn't think of that plot bunny (but I've written it before).

Absolutely. They are active off the Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia resort beaches. Sorry I didn't think of that plot bunny (but I've written it before).

Maybe I'll do a ghost pirates story for next Halloween. :D

This is going to be close. I'll probably have to skip a few editing steps to get this one in on time.

It's kind of amusing to me that I'm using my unfinished effort for FAWC #2 as the starter for my NaNo novel, so I'm basically writing two FAWC stories at the same time. Just goes to show that these FAWC challenges are a great idea generator!

I have a story about 1/3 complete. I probably can't complete it in time, and I'm losing interested in this entire site. I keep getting advice to write for myself and not care what others think. If I don't care what other's think, why should I share my writing with others at all?

I do care what others think, and I receive so much negativity here that I'm starting to dread logging in each time. :(

The real questions is whether I want to finish my FAWC story before I ask for all of my stories to be deleted. I know you've heard it all before and I should have a thinker skin, but those of you in AH and particularly in the contests seem to be the superstars here. Is it possible you don't understand/remember how demoralizing it can be to receive so much hostility from readers?

I'm only a superstar in my own mind, so I'll add my two cents.

Take a break. Turn off comments. Don't check in. You could even turn off voting. Keep writing if that's what you want to do, but don't go and take down all your stories until you have time to reflect.

FAWC is anonymous, and nobody reads the Chain Stories category anyway. It might be a confidence booster. I'd give that a try before quitting.

Bonne chance. :heart:

Feeling much better now, thank you. No, no pirates in my moment of complete frustration. Just frustration. Please forgive my momentary primal scream.

Tried to work on NaNo, and kept getting dragged back to this silly little competition, where my story is getting carried away again, and won't leave me alone. Maybe I can get it out of my system today.

Then again, if my characters keep this up, I may just drown both of them, and do a Little Mermaid parody.

I have a story about 1/3 complete. I probably can't complete it in time, and I'm losing interested in this entire site. I keep getting advice to write for myself and not care what others think. If I don't care what other's think, why should I share my writing with others at all?

I do care what others think, and I receive so much negativity here that I'm starting to dread logging in each time. :(

The real questions is whether I want to finish my FAWC story before I ask for all of my stories to be deleted. I know you've heard it all before and I should have a thicker skin, but those of you in AH and particularly in the contests seem to be the superstars here. Is it possible you don't understand/remember how demoralizing it can be to receive so much hostility from readers?

Its frustrating. But you learn the method to the madness as time passes. My suggestions: Turn off anonymous comments, sweeps will take care of the one bombs eventually. Work to increase favorites and views.

The other thing is, you gotta find your niche and scratch an itch no other writer scratches.

Its taken me almost a year to discover that erotic noir may be my niche. Assholes in heat is what I call it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The real questions is whether I want to finish my FAWC story before I ask for all of my stories to be deleted. I know you've heard it all before and I should have a thicker skin, but those of you in AH and particularly in the contests seem to be the superstars here. Is it possible you don't understand/remember how demoralizing it can be to receive so much hostility from readers?

Oh, we remember because for most of us it's not that long ago. We get a bad comment or two every time. Unless you're perfect at every part of the writing business. Not many of us are that. This is a hobby for some, a profession for others. A form of therapy to some of us nut cases.

But the bad comments still hurt. We're just better at shrugging them off because in among all the dreck you will get a few comments that will bring tears to your eyes. Were you can tell you managed to touch someones with a story. They will remember your words.

Look at the story feedback and discussion pages. they are filled with people looking for a story they read here yeas ago. Will tons of new stories coming up every day they are hunting for just one. Because it touched that special place... the one in the heart not in the pants.

YOU want to aspire to receive perfect comments... well good luck on that one. I'll be happy with the nice ones, try to learn from the bad ones, and delete the ones that cuss me. (my one rule, my comments section I wont be called names).

Made me cry
04/22/13 By: Wisquejac
Screw all the people complaining. Your purpose,was to tell a story. You did. Very, very well. Is it perfect? No. Was it pleasurable to read? Yes. You have a gift for storytelling. Just do that and let others get bogged down in the bullshit and you will do, just fine. Thanks for the story. I teared up several times and went back to re-read sections, just because they made me feel something. Good work.

I do hope you stay till you get the good ones.

I still receive insulting, demeaning, petty bickering comments on some of my stories. It doesn't bother me one bit anymore, although it did in the beginning. There is a special class of troll that hopes to discourage people from posting their stories; I suppose it gives them a feeling of power.

Unfortunately, people have a tendency to dwell on the dark side of things and let negative comments bother them. That's the key, really: the only way we are bothered by negative comments is if we allow ourselves to be.

I appreciate every comment that gives me constructive criticism or serious praise. If it reads like someone was looking for an excuse to attack my writing, I don't even bother to finish reading it. If it's a comment, I leave it and let someone else post after them rebuking everything they said. That's probably the biggest kick when it comes to comments. I don't have to point out the fallacies in their attacks; someone else does.

Tried to work on NaNo, and kept getting dragged back to this silly little competition, where my story is getting carried away again, and won't leave me alone. Maybe I can get it out of my system today.

If your entry to "this silly little competition" goes to 50,000 words, you're fine.

I'm hoping this is coming down to the wire for most folks. I have a grand total of four submissions from two authors, and there's only six days left in the challenge. That won't make guessing who wrote what very difficult (well, it might, in a way :p ).

If the turnout for FAWC 3 remains low, perhaps it would be best to place it and the stories on hold until after the Winter Holidays contest. I guess we'll see how everything pans out.

If your entry to "this silly little competition" goes to 50,000 words, you're fine.

Sometimes you're brilliant. Sometimes. ;)

I hadn't thought of that. Up to almost 9K words. Maybe I can enter an abbreviated version for the contest, then fill it out novel length afterward. What I thought would be a silly, simple plot just took off, with twists and turns.

The short version will be shallow, and have a lot of unanswered red herrings, but it does kill two birds with one stone. I hadn't thought of that at all. I guess I'm dense.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm hoping this is coming down to the wire for most folks. I have a grand total of four submissions from two authors, and there's only six days left in the challenge. That won't make guessing who wrote what very difficult (well, it might, in a way :p ).

If the turnout for FAWC 3 remains low, perhaps it would be best to place it and the stories on hold until after the Winter Holidays contest. I guess we'll see how everything pans out.

I'm almost done. I'll be turning it in at the last minute, but I'll make it.

I'm not quite done with mine but I'll have it finished by the deadline..

I'm sorry, slyc. I wanted to get something written but circumstances have conspired against me. :(

Like I said earlier, it's going to be close. Odds are 50/50 that I'll make it.

Back