A Muse's Inspiration (closed for Poprockz)

"Not quite..." Blake said after Euterpe slapped his resting palm with hers. "Interestingly enough, it's something that the initiating person starts, but doesn't follow through on. When the moment arises, and the recipient is facing them, the initiator just raises their hand with their palm facing the recipient." Blake demonstrated by lifting his hand, but doing it at a height and distance that would be natural and easy for her to reach with the hand that wasn't semi-trapped between their bodies. "It's then up to the recipient turn away or lift their hand as well. If they lift their hand as well, both people will then bring their hands forward and, hopefully, high-five. It's not uncommon for people to miss or just barely hit each other's hands though, which can sometimes be embarrassing if others witness it."

Her eyes went to his hand and she lifted her hand hesitantly. "How do we know when to go though? Do we count down?"

Were they supposed to intuitively know when to bring their hands together, or was it a more coordinated effort? Would she be able to figure out when to move her own hand if he did, or would he follow her lead? Though this gesture wasn't something she would likely use very often, she wanted to get it right.

"Nope, no countdown." Blake said as he lowered his hand once more. "When the second person raises their hand or brings it backwards if it's already raised, both people know to just...go for it." He lifted his hand again when he finished speaking, and then pulled it back a touch before reversing it's motion and propelling it towards hers, hoping that she'd do the same. As he did so, his arm around her shoulders remained there, remaining relaxed and platonically placed in the hopes that she'd allow it to linger there for as long as possible.

Euterpe had been keenly watching his hand, so when he pulled it back she too pulled her own hand back and launched it forward. The two of their hands connected in a satisfying smack! and the goddess beamed. It had been the perfect high-five in her opinion- not bad for a first try.

"That was excellently executed if I do say so myself," she said in a self-satisfied manner. "Perhaps you and I are very compatible when it comes to this gesture." Another sour patch kid was popped into her mouth, though this time she didn't pucker quite as much.

Back