A Hero Among Us (closed)

Edward Orion

Edward sat looking at Alyson being held up at his personal secretary, he liked to keep her waiting, just lord his superiority a little bit. Not enough to be obvious, just enough to make people realize. He opened the ledger on his desk and pressed the intercom button.

"Yes Mrs Edwards?"

"Ms Montgomery here to see you sir."

He paused, looking at the ledger, "Send her in."

Not show her in, Alyson had opposed him and she needed to learn her place in the pecking order of this world, and with this new merger, he was sure to do just that. Also she had been losing properties and the rebuilding of those would cost her even more money. The door opened and he kept his attention on the figures in front of him, he followed her steps and finally looked up, closing the ledger.

"Ah Alyson, how good to finally see you."

"Uncle Edward." Gracie said as she stepped into the office, as cool as she had ever been with him and not showing that she was annoyed at being made to wait in the least. "You must be keeping busy with all of your new mergers and business dealings. Your secretary was amazed that you couldn't meet with me right away."

She took a seat across from him without being offered, staring at him with a calculated cold glance. She had learned from him how best to keep herself in the moment and she knew it bothered him to no end when she refused to play his game like the rest of his brothers and sisters.

Edward Orion

"Well unless you are here to sell me the controlling stocks or to offer a merger . . . like this . . . " he hefted the ledger, "Which I know you are not here for at all, since you would have brokered the deal, before showing up yourself."

He leaned back in the chair, steeping his fingers in front of him, his elbows resting on the armrests of the chair, "To what do I owe this visit? Your Mr Smith was quite tight-lipped about the reason of you requesting this little meeting."

"Well, you can't blame me for being headstrong and knowing what I want in business, Uncle Edward. You taught me that." Gracie said, flattering his immense ego as he tried to dismiss her. "No, this isn't about business, per say."

She relaxed into her chair, letting him know that she wasn't going anywhere any time soon. "Your business dealings in Old Town haven't gone past my notice. I have to ask why, however. What are you interested in over there? It doesn't seem your style."

"Then Uncle Charles said something at dinner the other evening that made me pause. He said that you had designs upon the docks. The docks that my father developed. Where he died. I think you know that I would never let them out of my possession that easily." Gracie said, her gaze leveled at him. "Nor do I think that you might stoop so low as to sabotage my buildings in the area to get them out of my possession. That gas explosion was deliberate. You're not trying to put me out of business, are you, Uncle Edward?"

"Ah Alyson, Old Town may look like it isn't the future, which it isn't, but it does hold a few gems still to be expanded and bring hope to all the people and of course if you make money as result, why not do it."

He smiled a grim little smile, "Now why would you think that I would want take the docks from you? I will admit that it is prime estate, the best facility to import and export from, but I don't need underhanded tactics to get access to facilities. If it comes to it, I could just make a deal with you, blood and water you know."

He waved away the rest of her words, "I own demolition companies, if I wanted to use explosions, everybody would know it was me. I know that you think differently about business than I do, but I am not appreciating the fact that you are suggesting that I would stoop to nefarious means to get ahead."

"Nefarious? Like how you raised the rent on an apartment building to drive out those that couldn't afford it in order to tear it down and build a luxury high rise in its place?" Grace asked, knowing far more about his businesses than he probably ever realized. "I'll offer you a lowered fee to do business at the docks, but they aren't for sale. They never have been and never will be. This meeting is more of a warning that if you fuck around with my buildings again, I will retaliate."

He was quite surprised that she knew about that little detail, but he had a perfect poker face, or in fact, that was what he thought. The tell would be the slight twinge at the corner of his left eye, slight, but there if you knew what to look for.

"Now, now Alyson, you know that rent gets raised to procure income to keep a building maintained. The fact that people can not afford it and that the building have been demolished, just goes to show that the area dictated the better income."

He took a moment and nodded, "I have no problem with a lowered fee, but if you do reach the end of never and actually do need to sell the docks, I will offer you a substantial amount, it is only the right thing to do. And put the thought from your mind that I would want to . . . mess, with your company and your income. I have no need to do that, with all the meta-humans converging on Old Town, I am quite certain you will find that the "affordable" living quarters will attract more of "their" kind. Like this one I heard about, it is told that he can produce fire from his hands, which sounds like a tool to burn down a building."

He paused for a moment, seemingly searching for a name.

"Swampfire I believe he calls himself. Perhaps you should ask him about the fire and not blame me for these incidents."

"You're never innocent in any of these deals. Ever." Grace said with a shrug of her shoulders as she stood and stared at her uncle for a few moments. "My lawyers will be in touch about the deal. Stay out of Old Town, Uncle Edward. I don't think you'll find it to your liking."

Edward leaned back in his chair, a slight smile creasing his lips as he looked up at her

"How can I be involved if there is no trace of my involvement? But that aside, I will have my lawyers ready."

He gave a fake shudder

"And what I know of Old Town, I have no need to get involved with it. You can waste your resources on it if it means that much to you."

"I'm sure I can find your involvement, Uncle Edward." Gracie said as she looked down at the man who had raised her. "It's everywhere, isn't it? All over both cities. All over everyone. All over my family, that's for certain. Especially my dad...and his death."

She turned to leave him, pausing before she made it to the door and turning to look at him. "Mr. Smith has been rather insulted that you haven't invited him to any of our lovely family dinners. He's simply jumping at the chance to have a place at the Orion family table."

With that, she left him to stew and perhaps plot her death. She was his prodigy, the only member of the next generation and she hated his guts. He knew it, maybe even reveled in it. She had no idea what the future for them held.

By the time she made it to the lobby, she had a raging headache. Catching Smith's gaze, she let out the breath that she had been holding as she noticed more cameras had gathered outside.

"Shall we find a bar for lunch? I could use a drink." She asked.

Edward leaned back and watched her leave, he knew that sooner or later, they will come to blows, but his campaign was to strengthen his position and once he had control of Old Town, he could demolish it and rebuild it to suit his wants and needs.

"We shall see." He murmured as the door closed behind her and then reached out for his telephone.

Smith

Smith looked Gracie over, she had enough troubles and cares, why she took on the two young people only she would know.

"Of course, it will be good to see you eat something for a change and not just push your food around."

He gave her a slight grin and then opened the door for her, glaring at the paparazzi, making sure that none of them posed any threat to his employer and friend.

Back