🧘🏼‍♂️🤾🏻‍♀️Getting Sweaty Again: The 3rd Circuit 🚴🏼‍♂️🏋🏼‍♀️

I've just got back from the gym and it feels great to be in a routine again. 11 times now in Januari. I started in mid December but I don't have that logged, so therefore I count 2 Januari as the start.

How many of you listen to your own music or a pod while you work out? What music or pod is your favorite?
I don't bring my own music. I'm quite satisfied by the sampled music they play at the gym. But I've noticed more than half the people there wear headphones.

How many of you listen to your own music or a pod while you work out? What music or pod is your favorite?
I don't bring my own music. I'm quite satisfied by the sampled music they play at the gym. But I've noticed more than half the people there wear headphones.

I swim for the most part of my session, sooo it's a little difficult to listen to anything :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've just got back from the gym and it feels great to be in a routine again. 11 times now in Januari. I started in mid December but I don't have that logged, so therefore I count 2 Januari as the start.

I wear headphones. I have to because I get easily distracted by people and conversations around me if I don’t 😅.

I probably have a dozen or more playlists that I’ve put together and it’s a good mix but primarily 90’s hip hop and alternative/grunge/rock and I play it pretty loud to drown everything out around me. Pros and cons, my hearing will probably decline faster but it helps me focus..also has provided some gnarly jump scares when people touch me to get my attention 😂

If I'm running outside or rollerblading I will listen to an audiobook or a playlist that is mostly rap and high energy pop. I primarily belly dance when I workout indoors so I listen to a lot of drum solos, and music that is really upbeat. When I do yoga I will mix it up- yesterday I played Norah Jones in the background while doing an easy flow yoga session. It's also dependent on my mood. Sometimes I need angry music to pump me up. 😆

I signed up for the gym last week and this week it's been heavy, heavy storms and floods warnings. It's like the fates are telling me to stay home and be lazy. 🤣

For real though, my challenge has always been that I'm easily thrown off my routines. How do you guys balance life and finding time for the gym?

I think the winter weather has been effecting my mood and therefore exercising. My endurance (walking is fine) but I can't get the energy/motivation for core and resistance. It's a bummer but I'm in it for the long haul. :)

I signed up for the gym last week and this week it's been heavy, heavy storms and floods warnings. It's like the fates are telling me to stay home and be lazy. 🤣

For real though, my challenge has always been that I'm easily thrown off my routines. How do you guys balance life and finding time for the gym?
The hardest part for me is to get started. Once I've got a routine it's less problematic to find the time.
But sometimes things happen in life that you can't control and you get thrown out of your routine. I've learned that it is important to stick to your routine even if you miss one of the training days for a few weeks. Then when everything get back to normal again it will be easier to go back as planned than if you skipped the training completely.

The hardest part for me is to get started. Once I've got a routine it's less problematic to find the time.
But sometimes things happen in life that you can't control and you get thrown out of your routine. I've learned that it is important to stick to your routine even if you miss one of the training days for a few weeks. Then when everything get back to normal again it will be easier to go back as planned than if you skipped the training completely.
I agree with this! You just have to keep making it part of your routine, and then you will look forward to it and eventually crave/need it. Personally, working out is not just about getting in shape but stress relief. Having a good sweat sesh while lifting weights or dancing around never fails to boost my mood.

On average it takes about 60 days to form a new habit. I used to set reminders on my phone to make sure I got the time in. I have support people I can lean on when I need encouragement, and I'm in a few fitness groups on social media for ideas and motivation. Make a point to do it with no excuses - even if it's just a 5 minute stretch and some meditation - mindfulness is a mental workout and it counts.

So me today: I left the office to go to gym, the gym I use is out of the way i.e. if the bank and home is a straight line the gym is 5km perpendicular, but it has the best pool. I park and sit in my car and peruse Lit on my phone for a bit because I don't feel like it today plus I can make up for it tomorrow and Sunday if need be. Then I decide I could go in and sit in the change room and peruse Lit that way my card gets swiped and I get points for my medical aid. In the change room there is someone I know (just a gym acquaintance) and we talk and now I have to do my thing otherwise I look foolish :)

This actually happens quite a lot especially on Fridays.

So me today: I left the office to go to gym, the gym I use is out of the way i.e. if the bank and home is a straight line the gym is 5km perpendicular, but it has the best pool. I park and sit in my car and peruse Lit on my phone for a bit because I don't feel like it today plus I can make up for it tomorrow and Sunday if need be. Then I decide I could go in and sit in the change room and peruse Lit that way my card gets swiped and I get points for my medical aid. In the change room there is someone I know (just a gym acquaintance) and we talk and now I have to do my thing otherwise I look foolish :)

That sounds like a great mental hack to get you to do your workout. I know for me, it's all about getting started, once I'm started 90% of the time I get into it and enjoy myself.

I do that too. When it has been a rough day or something I still go to the gym and do something. It's always better than do nothing. And I usually feel better after the exercise, sauna and shower. :)

I agree with this! You just have to keep making it part of your routine, and then you will look forward to it and eventually crave/need it. Personally, working out is not just about getting in shape but stress relief. Having a good sweat sesh while lifting weights or dancing around never fails to boost my mood.

On average it takes about 60 days to form a new habit. I used to set reminders on my phone to make sure I got the time in. I have support people I can lean on when I need encouragement, and I'm in a few fitness groups on social media for ideas and motivation. Make a point to do it with no excuses - even if it's just a 5 minute stretch and some meditation - mindfulness is a mental workout and it counts.
Yeah absolutely. I've been meditating again and it does good things for me.

Time management has always been my challenge. But once I get up and going it's all good. The pandemic was really fucking hard because I was doing well and seeing results and then suddenly everything stops. I have asthma, so I'm at risk, and I was literally fearing death. College plans, gym, playing out (I'm a musician), it all got taken off the table. I collapsed and honestly I don't think I ever fully recovered. But I'm trying to make an effort. I need to do this and take my life back. So I'm trying. ❤️

I do that too. When it has been a rough day or something I still go to the gym and do something. It's always better than do nothing. And I usually feel better after the exercise, sauna and shower. :)

Yippee dippee dooo, so glad I didn't wimp out. And I also have to have a sauna. I read yesterday of flooding in central Skåne, hope it's not affecting you.

Yippee dippee dooo, so glad I didn't wimp out. And I also have to have a sauna. I read yesterday of flooding in central Skåne, hope it's not affecting you.
No, not me personally. I live high enough even if Skåne is flat. But if this raining continues like this we can rename the area to The Lake District. :rolleyes:
A river just a few km from were I live hasn't been this wide and deep since the Wikings ruled here.

I have my own workout playlist that I listen in the order I put the songs in or hit shuffle. It's about three hours. So when I'm on shuffle it's like listening to the radio. You never know what is coming on.

It's mostly metal and hard rock. But I also have some of the Rocky music in there and even the 1990s Chicago Bulls intro song (Sirius, by The Alan Parsons Project) LOL!!

I got to the gym Wednesday and Thursday this week and was able to hit my home bike for 40 minutes on Tuesday. I still need to clean up my diet. It's been awful with work being so difficult and the football games on the weekend.

@sallysparrow23 I hope your toe is healing! So, sorry to hear that.

I have just built it into my life after a health scare about 15 yo. I religiously work out on MON, WED and FRI. Maybe not religiously, but if I have to miss one of those days I make it up.

I have a treadmill, a rower and an elliptical in the basement, so makes it easier.

Altho sometimes tough, I also try to make sure I am walking 10k steps a day. I’m lucky cuz I have a circuit in the house I can walk at night when I don’t get all my steps in.

Helps with my mental health too.

I work out at home but often listen to my Sirius app. It’s also embedded w Pandora (I know, old school) so I listen to alternative channel, underground garage, spoon channel, power pop radio, 80s hardcore, etc

Sometimes I listen to Willy’s roadhouse (old school country or outlaw country)

I've been belly dancing since the beginning of the year. I follow two dancers on Instagram, and started a class with one of them at the end of December. I feel like my choreography is improving. I can move my arms and legs at the same time and not look like a robot. It's early to say, but I can feel my lower abs toning. I'll never actually see them, but I know they are there now lol.

The last time I weighed myself I was down 7 pounds from Jan 1, but stress got the better of me over the weekend, and so did cheesecake. If life could stop throwing so many whammies all at once and I stop stress eating that would be super helpful.
You had me at "cheesecake."

I'm in the midst of cutting food and adding activity. December was a lost month, but January has me back to losing a pound a week. Down 20 pounds so far, with at least another 20 due by the end of July.

You had me at "cheesecake."

I'm in the midst of cutting food and adding activity. December was a lost month, but January has me back to losing a pound a week. Down 20 pounds so far, with at least another 20 due by the end of July.
Well done!

So... this was a better week eating wise for me.
I also have been to the gym three days straight hitting every body part while lifting.

I finally feel like I'm getting out of my funk and starting to dedicate myself again. I also mentally feel so much better when I lift consistently. Now if I can just get off these damn message boards and hit the gym this AM, I'll really be doing good.

Fortunately, nothing is going on this weekend. My plan is to leave at 945A and be there by 10A.
I'm going to make today a pure core day to give the other muscles a break. Then hit the sauna for 20 minutes.

I hope all the posters here are doing well! @sallysparrow23, I'm glad your not in pain.
Good luck all. Can't wait to report back consistently.

Back