The Internet is Full of Cats

satindesire

Queen of Geeks
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Posts
13,101
'When John Atanasoff and Clifford Berry developed the first digital computing machine at Iowa State University in 1937, little did they know that their invention would become an integral part of a sophisticated worldwide cat picture distribution system.' --David Burge

Just in case any of you guys have lived under a rock for the last hundred years or so, the popularity of the domestic feline as pets and their rocketing stardom into internet super-fame has become somewhat of a notable social meme.

In my opinion, cats are popular on the internet because of a few reasons. Mainly, the interbone is full of nerds like myself who want an affectionate animal companion without the hassles of actually having to go outside multiple times a day for walks. For people with health issues that makes getting outside a chore in itself, cats are ideal pets. And...For anti-social geeks like myself, the cat is a perfect choice.

Pair that with the fact that the internet is now the main source of socialization that many people get these days, and add the expressive and easy anthropomorphizing of our furry friends, and you have extremely relate-able and enjoyable media. In Short, LOLCats.

So...in your opinion, why are cats so popular on the intertubes?
 
Because it feels good to make fun of the overlords of the planet behind their LOL fuzzy faces.

Like making faces at and drawing stupid pictures of the strict mean teacher when they aren't looking.
 
I don't have a clue. This makes no more sense to me than the presence of the appendix in our bodies.
 
George Takei addressed this in his book. It was one of the first excerpts he posted before the release. His theory was good, I just can't find the excerpt right now. Getting ready for work.
 
My money is on cats secretly RUNNING the Internet. Likely the first move in their plan for world domination...
 
My money is on cats secretly RUNNING the Internet. Likely the first move in their plan for world domination...

Makes sense to me. They'll never let us live down being worshiped as Gods by ancient Egyptians.
 
The internet is really..really great... (for porn)

Lol The internet is forever filled with cats from Icanhazcheeseburger to grumpy cat!
 
I remember something about pets in general, how they have an interesting combination between being like people, and being very unlike people. Apparently, it makes them 'puzzles', and humans love puzzles. I guess cats are a bit more removed from us than dogs, (but not so far removed they're unintelligable) and so they're a bit more of a mystery. Tickles your brainnn.

Well, that, and whatever they do looks great in pictures.

I think I got that from that TED-talk about the Mystery Box, by the creator of Lost, but I'm not sure. I might've made it all up. (That is a great talk regardless.)
 
Because cats are smooshy, agile, and fold up in ways that dogs can't accomplish and because they do things like this;
tumblr_mltk5zgtWG1qitri8o1_250.gif

And this;
tumblr_mn3djpb7iU1rq3b5ko8_500.jpg


tumblr_mn3djpb7iU1rq3b5ko1_500.jpg


tumblr_mn3djpb7iU1rq3b5ko4_500.jpg


tumblr_mn3djpb7iU1rq3b5ko7_500.jpg


tumblr_mn3djpb7iU1rq3b5ko9_r1_500.jpg


And something about them is like humans doing things humans should never do but cats do it for us

http://unimpressedcats.tumblr.com/
 
As Shank said, they aren't poop eaters. As Stella said-Smooshy.
I'll add they never smell like wet sneakers either. Wet sneakers worn by a 15 year old kid for six weeks straight.
 
Damn pussies...



attachment.php

Pet THIS!



:devil:
 

Attachments

  • tumblr_mgc49yJW3X1qabeqeo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mgc49yJW3X1qabeqeo1_500.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 234
Damn pussies...



attachment.php

Pet THIS!



:devil:
This is the expression of a cat who has heard the can opener begin, that's all.

Cats have short guts, and can't even digest all of the protien they eat, which is why they act hungry so much, because they are. And also, why dogs eat cat poop.

One of the lovely, lovely, things about cats-- No matter how hungry he is, if you pet him he'll stop eating long enough to push into your hand for a moment.
 
Fortunately ours always have food.

So they nag at the back door.

Or ask for water. You know, not to drink, but to rub in their fur. Because that totally makes sense :p
 
This is the expression of a cat who has heard the can opener begin, that's all.

Cats have short guts, and can't even digest all of the protien they eat, which is why they act hungry so much, because they are. And also, why dogs eat cat poop.

One of the lovely, lovely, things about cats-- No matter how hungry he is, if you pet him he'll stop eating long enough to push into your hand for a moment.

After I switched Noah over to grain free dry food I noticed a good change in almost everything. He's gained weight, sleeps better, shinier coat...just a generally happier, healthier cat.

The best part is I can get them from my local supermarket, and they're only a dollar per bag more than the crap he was eating before.

Yay for the cat lovers on this forum, cos it would never have occurred to me that his dry food was the problem.
 
.


cats and porn...

tumblr_mjrpa4Fdzu1rvxs9eo1_500.jpg


tumblr_mcuzs2jlll1rvxs9eo1_500.jpg



tumblr_m5irpycilD1rvxs9eo1_500.jpg



all from indifferent-cats-in-amateur-porn.tumblr link




:devil:
 
Last edited:
You're getting the idea! :D

OMG that Johnny Depp double pic made me laugh loud enough to scare my roomies
 
Back
Top