Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Ezrollin
Really Experienced

Which category ?

I'm sure most of you have a favorite category or categories as I do. Do you ever scan the new stories in other categories to see if they peak your interest or only those in your favorites? I like to scan the new entries because sometimes a story can qualify for several categories.

Last edited by Ezrollin : 06-05-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

I have my favorite categories I submit stories in, but I tend to stick with what reading what interests me as a general rule (sci- fi, horror, erotic horror, supernatural fantasy and the like. I don’t doubt I could write say an Incest story with a transgender character, but my lack of interest in reading 99% of Incest stories hinders my desire to write a story I would care to either read or share on this site. Every once in a while, I peek into the BDSM category. There’s a friend of mine, the only one in my favorites as an author that writes BDSM stuff.

🌹Kant👠👠👠
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫
Do T-girls & Transvestites Interest You? Checkout my Stories.

My Newest Storyline 🌹”Best Friends Forever” 🌹A story from my personal diary where friendship turns sexual.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions My Story Submissions

Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

I like a variety of stories, but I tend to gravitate to a theme, if not exactly a category: fairly normal, mature people exploring their kinks and fetishes, pushing against various emotional and societal boundaries, usually portrayed in a positive way with a positive outcome. I find this kind of story in a number of categories but most often in exhibitionism, BDSM, and incest, as well as a few others. I'm much less interested in period stories, or sci fi or fantasy stories, except to the extent the world-building is directly related to the erotic kink or fetish I'm interested in.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Requiax
Experienced

I seldom read erotica and when I do, it's in the same category that I write in.

I'm probably missing some really great stuff but them's the breaks.

Nude Day 2018 Contest Entry: N.I.P - Nina in Public

Literotica Stories: Requiax
Amazon author page: A D Rowen
Twitter: @therequiax

Old 06-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
RubenR
Literotica Guru

When I like an author, I will read everything (s)he wrote, without looking at the categories.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
Kantarii
I'm Not A Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenR View Post
When I like an author, I will read everything (s)he wrote, without looking at the categories.
Let me be the first to verify that and thank you🌹Kant👠👠👠
I am your dreams made reality ... And, the lust in your eyes...
♫♪ But, what's puzzling you is the nature of my game! ♪♫
Do T-girls & Transvestites Interest You? Checkout my Stories.

My Newest Storyline 🌹”Best Friends Forever” 🌹A story from my personal diary where friendship turns sexual.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions My Story Submissions

Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #7
TANSTAAFL58
Really Experienced

Ok, slightly different question, with the same topic heading. How do you decide what category a story goes in. I'm working on one with a mature couple (Mature?) who meet under unusual circumstances, bond (Romance?), have sex (Erotic Encounters?), Masturbate (Toys& Masturbation?), engage in a little light BDSM (BDSM?) And anal (Anal?). All in eight chapters. So, where does that put me?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Sir_Maveric
Really Experienced

I would decide what the main theme between your main characters is and go with that. Throwing in a few sides won’t neccessarily make it need to be in that category. Romance with a side of toys.. etc.
But in the tags, make sure it’s clearly labeled or you’ll get people complaining.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL58 View Post
Ok, slightly different question, with the same topic heading. How do you decide what category a story goes in. I'm working on one with a mature couple (Mature?) who meet under unusual circumstances, bond (Romance?), have sex (Erotic Encounters?), Masturbate (Toys& Masturbation?), engage in a little light BDSM (BDSM?) And anal (Anal?). All in eight chapters. So, where does that put me?
Would you stop the shouting?

Mature is usually for May/December (young and old) relationships, but some people use it for older couples.

Romance is all about building the relationship, so just bonding and having sex doesn't qualify.

The sex acts you describe aren't especially polarizing and without knowing their relative dominance in the story it's hard to pick. I'd avoid anal. It's a small category and the act is acceptable elsewhere.

To me it sounds like EC is remaining, but someone with more experience in Mature might point you there.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."

Old 06-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
TANSTAAFL58
Really Experienced

Sorry about the font. I was writing on a tablet, and it's hard to see outside in the sun.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking EC, but wondered if people would complain that the main characters are in their late fifties. I will put the minor points in tags. I'm not quite ready to post any of this yet. The stories aren't up to Lit standards.im just thinking ahead. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL58 View Post
Sorry about the font. I was writing on a tablet, and it's hard to see outside in the sun.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking EC, but wondered if people would complain that the main characters are in their late fifties. I will put the minor points in tags. I'm not quite ready to post any of this yet. The stories aren't up to Lit standards.im just thinking ahead. Thanks again.
EC is a mixed bag. It can get you a lot of views, but the readership there is usually pretty disengaged, so votes and comments come in slowly. There's also little or no life after your story drops off the hub.

Mature is a small category and I've had my problems with it. You should wait and get others input about putting it there. It might be a better choice.

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by two dead flappers, so next up is a ghost story named "Love is Enough."

Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #12
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Erotic Coupling might get a slightly broader audience than Mature, and readers there are intelligent enough to understand that sex doesn't stop when you turn thirty. On the other hand, a couple in their fifties are, one hopes, mature in mind as well and body, and that category cuts to the chase. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, I reckon.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 06-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #13
Valint
Experienced

Is the story focused on the sex or the relationship?

For me, an Erotic Couplings story and a Romance story are complete different creatures, with the answer to that question being the dividing line.

How long are these chapters? If your story is basically a hodge-podge slice-of-life of decent size, Novel/Novella is worth consideration.