March Same title Challenge

[/B]

Indeed. The 2 poems had the same culture, if not epoch, although I'd characterize #19 as an "anti-fertility poem," for lack of a better term.

I have to say #3 was my favorite.

The more I read #3 the more it grows on me. I really like it when that happens.

I'm honored that two poets whose writing I admire like my poem. I found this challenge difficult: hard to find a way in to write about it. I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. And then I found inspiration in a book I was reading. You never know.

A few thoughts on the poems.

1 is, in turns, funny and scary. It draws you in and then ends on a pretty sobering note. Great blitz and I especially like the wordplays (e.g., "boys/buoys" "great/grate"). And the joining of fertility with mollusks (and nano clams, etc.) is just darkly hilarious.

2 GP, if you see this, what is your poem besides an acrostic? Is that a form poem? Rosamunda really got around! Also, first challenge showing of "fecund."

3 Second "fecund."

4 I like how this poem stays with the topic and expands it at the end. Also some lovely images like this one:

To arise in union
with the buzzing of bumble bees
and fluttering of humming birds


5 And then we get a poem that is short and looks at the topic on a small scale, but captures it with that image of a flower pushing through soil.

6 Second poem to address climate change. Wonderful word play as always from Magnetron, but don't let his light touch fool you: it's a pretty serious poem imo and seriously good writing.

7 And he says he'll never be a poet. :rolleyes: Felicity gives birth to the universe, a cosmic take on the topic. The poem has great flow from line to line and some of the phrasing takes my breath away, like this:

falling immeasurable into sanguine depths,
there in the last days of winter
in earth preparing for spring


That gets you right in the gut!

8 This poem is sort of the other side to Rosamunda's story in poem 2, so a similar approach to the topic. But it's only 17 syllables and there's a whole story in it. That, to me, is the mark of a good American Sentence.

9 is one of my favorites and it's a fine villanelle as well. This is the fear of fertility approach. It's hilarious (I love when poems make me laugh) and it's strong writing. The refrain lines are great.

10 Similar in approach to poem 5 but the tone is different, shading between awe and horror.

11 I love that AH wrote free verse for this challenge. I wonder how many of us he threw off track with that twist? This is an erotic, romantic approach to the topic but it also (like poem 10) conveys awe and something of the miraculous.

12 Another of my favorites (GP, guess I just love the way you write). Three words: topic summarized. Love it.

That's it for today! I'll be back for more. It's really great to read such a spectrum of responses to the title.
 
just got use of my laptop back, which is why my own posts have been so short, few and far between since i was pecking out responses on my tablet, laggy and frustrating as hell!

so: thanks, annie, for shouldering the workload on this one; thanks to everyone who entered pieces; and apologies for not getting my own guesses in before the grand reveal. this challenge, as per ususal, spawned some intriguing, inspirational and artistic work that reminds me what a great resource this site can be for aspiring writers. :cool:

even though i didn't get round to commenting much, i was reading and giggling at the guesses. my own were just as off target in most cases. :rolleyes:

so, between all you guys entering this challenge and the frustrations i've had to endure since my laptop lost its power source till now, i'm thinking of tackling the 30/30. :eek:

That would be awesome! And it's always great to write with someone you love. :) :rose:
 
6 Second poem to address climate change. Wonderful word play as always from Magnetron, but don't let his light touch fool you: it's a pretty serious poem imo and seriously good writing.

Not to mention it is about teh Buttsecks. ;)
 
Last edited:
11 I love that AH wrote free verse for this challenge.

Technically, it is blank verse, metered but unrhymed. I find it almost impossible to write free verse. But my poems, both in these challenges and in the public side of Lit, are 50% or more blank verse. The super-formal ones probably stand out more because they are less common at Lit.
 
5 And then we get a poem that is short and looks at the topic on a small scale, but captures it with that image of a flower pushing through soil.

It's always fun to see how people interpret a piece. For you, a flower; for me, a tomato. ;)

Thank you, I'm glad I captured something in my few words. :)



Also, since I haven't said it yet. Thanks, Annie, for offering up this challenge and tending to it so well. :rose:
 
Last edited:
Not to mention it is about teh Buttsecks. ;)

That is a very serious subject!

:D

and i love you too... ohhhhhhh, you mean Harry *snicker*

Gotta be Harry. :D I love you, too, but I will not be back in that thread for a while!

It's always fun to see how people interpret a piece. For you, a flower; for me, a tomato. ;)

Thank you, I'm glad I captured something in my few words. :)



Also, since I haven't said it yet. Thanks for offering up this challenge and tending to it so well. :rose:

You say tomato and I say petunia? :rose:

Honestly I deserve no thanks for this one. I did not do squat for this challenge, just wrote my poem! Annie did it all. :)
 
1 is, in turns, funny and scary. It draws you in and then ends on a pretty sobering note. Great blitz and I especially like the wordplays (e.g., "boys/buoys" "great/grate"). And the joining of fertility with mollusks (and nano clams, etc.) is just darkly hilarious.

Thanks Angie, it was my first blitz too but as Harry noted in the 30 for 30 forum,
"once I had the bones of it laid out so graciously by you lot wasn't hard at all." Whatever the calcified tissue, once the shell is there, word games and more can follow.
 
4 I like how this poem stays with the topic and expands it at the end. Also some lovely images like this one:

To arise in union
with the buzzing of bumble bees

and fluttering of humming birds

YAYAYA Thank you tons Ange :) means a lot! almost didn't post it ...but UYS showed me the error of my ways :p ...thanks a lot heh
 
so, between all you guys entering this challenge and the frustrations i've had to endure since my laptop lost its power source till now, i'm thinking of tackling the 30/30. :eek:

C'mon in! The water's fine. :D
 
Thank you for your kind words, I've been away for a few days so couldn't acknowledge them sooner :rose:
 
Son of Songs

I'm late to this party because in the last couple of weeks I've been flying, to, from and over bits of the US. I really liked Angeline's no 3, it reminded me strongly of the Song of Songs.

I wrote one meself but it got lost on the laptop - somewhere between Dallas Tx and Raleigh NC.
 
Back
Top