I don't know if readers like to be surprised.

hotwords229

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Posts
1,192
Hi,

I recently wrote a series called Down for the Count:
https://www.literotica.com/s/down-for-the-count-pt-01

The story has a pretty good surprise in it and I think it makes sense to the story, but I think a lot of people are put off by it. On the other hand, if I warn them of what is to come then there goes the surprise. The surprise is an integral part of the story (and really just harmless fun) does anyone have an idea of how to better present this before the reader invests their time in a story that they may not like? Or should I just keep rolling the dice and let the reader deal with it?
 
You do you, boo. Throw the curveball if that's what you're comfortable with, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
 
Write what you want, be aware the readers want what they want, and the two are not necessarily the same thing.

Without reading your series, but noting that you threw in GM in chapter six and scored below 4 for that one, yes, it's safe to say lots of folk don't like GM surprises....

I have a three part, loosely connected series - Parts 1 and 3 have 4 x the number of views of Part 2. Why? Easy - "Amanda and her men". Men, plural. Folk are so nervous nelly about GM, they didn't even click into the story, let alone read it. Their loss.

As a general rule, readers don't like surprises. What you do with that knowledge is entirely up to you. Some writers pander to their readers, others don't. You're the writer, it's your call.
 
Sometimes twists can work well, sometimes not so well, and other times readers react with complete indifference.

One story I wrote called 'Bridget the Bossy Bridezilla' had an interesting twist at the end that tied all the storylines together, but nobody commented on it at all.

If you were writing a murder mystery having the son-in-law who seemed like a really nice guy turning out to be the murderer, this is a good twist.

Be wary of twists such as having a character that was dead all along. This can work well, but if mishandled it can go badly.
 
Yup

Good points all around. My story is a total reworking of the Dracula tale with a guy in the female role and the hereos are the women. At first they think it is a woman seducing the guys of the swim team, but it turns out it is a guy, a gay guy in fact, having sex with all of the guys In their sleep. It had to be that way because if it really was an older, sexy woman why would the guys mind! I thought this would make an interesting and exciting twist that could open some minds and let us rethink how we feel about sex, gender roles, etc. Plus I just think it is funny (as a straight guy) for a male character to be excited thinking he is being seduced by a beautiful woman only to find out it's really a dude. Then I follow it up with a fairly sweet ending.

I was hoping for a great response from the readers, but maybe I crossed too many genres.

Oh well, like you guys said I just have to be me and hope someone is entertained!

Thanks for the shoulder to lean on.
 
Back
Top