I like Ships too

This is the flight deck of a modern Aircraft Carrier (USS Ronald Reagan). I bet very few of you know that modern carriers have an irrigation system installed on the flight deck. This is so they can grow crops and provide humanitarian relief in the event of a natural disaster.

uss-ronald2.jpg

I think your naval physics may be askew.

The photographer is indeed facing aft. When a ship turns, the hydrolic pressure on the hull causes the top part of the ship to tilt against the turn, not into it. So because the ship is listing to Port, the turn is to Starboard.

When a ship has been in a hard high speed turn for a while, the weight aloft overcomes the tilt inward and slings the topsides out to the outside of the turn. I've been on carriers on sea trials doing high speed turns and the first movement is, yes, to the inside of the turn, but then it shifts to the outside. So, I think it's a turn to starboard and they've been in that turn for a while.

I'm surprised that this photo is out there, because the design of the prop is classified propulsion information and as such should not be on an unsecured server. But I guess if Hillary can do it, it must be all right so we all can, right?

This is the flight deck of a modern Aircraft Carrier (USS Ronald Reagan). I bet very few of you know that modern carriers have an irrigation system installed on the flight deck. This is so they can grow crops and provide humanitarian relief in the event of a natural disaster.

uss-ronald2.jpg
lookslike a NBC washdown system to me

Back