Mardi Gras

CuckGuy89

Cuck
My gf and I are thinking about going to Mardi Gras this year in New Orleans for the first time. Have any of you been? What's it really like? šŸ¤”

There are really 2 Mardi Gras experiences. The Quarter is everything you think it will be based on the common perception. Then there's the actual Mardi Gras that is super family friendly and happens largely outside the Quarter with the parades. Regardless of which you do you'll find it's like nothing you've ever experienced.

There are really 2 Mardi Gras experiences. The Quarter is everything you think it will be based on the common perception. Then there's the actual Mardi Gras that is super family friendly and happens largely outside the Quarter with the parades. Regardless of which you do you'll find it's like nothing you've ever experienced.
Thank u for the information. Which would you recommend for us? Can you experience both on one go? šŸ¤” We're just thinking of a quick trip that may be fun and we came across the Mardi gras idea.

Thank u for the information. Which would you recommend for us? Can you experience both on one go? šŸ¤” We're just thinking of a quick trip that may be fun and we came across the Mardi gras idea.
You can easily do both. Depending on the days you're coming in there is plenty to do. Saturday and Sunday before Mardi Gras day are big and Monday in the Quarter is wild. To catch parades you'll want to find somewhere on St. Charles Ave. Stay off of Canal Blvd for them!! Not the safest place.

My experience was over 30yrs ago. French Qtr. Bourbon St. Full on wild. At one point at around 2amā€¦I stood on a cooler someone had left on the sidewalkā€¦I was convinced I could jump up and run across peoples shoulders and heads, they were packed in so tight! If youā€™re up for that kind of drunk crazy then itā€™s for youā€¦I would only go back if I had a room above the fray.

Having said that we went to JazzFest in ā€˜19ā€¦late May early June. We saw live music in the Quarter and Ware house district. Ate incredible food all over the Quarter and Garden Districts, and had a great time! Wifeā€™s first trip to NOLA so she just fell in love with it.

I may be showing my age but a music&food New Orleans is the way to goā€¦food for thoughtšŸ˜‰

My experience was over 30yrs ago. French Qtr. Bourbon St. Full on wild. At one point at around 2amā€¦I stood on a cooler someone had left on the sidewalkā€¦I was convinced I could jump up and run across peoples shoulders and heads, they were packed in so tight! If youā€™re up for that kind of drunk crazy then itā€™s for youā€¦I would only go back if I had a room above the fray.

Having said that we went to JazzFest in ā€˜19ā€¦late May early June. We saw live music in the Quarter and Ware house district. Ate incredible food all over the Quarter and Garden Districts, and had a great time! Wifeā€™s first trip to NOLA so she just fell in love with it.

I may be showing my age but a music&food New Orleans is the way to goā€¦food for thoughtšŸ˜‰
Haha wow, don't know if I want to be packed in a place that crowded šŸ˜… Maybe we should go a different time. I'll let her know what you guys have said. Thanks

My gf and I are thinking about going to Mardi Gras this year in New Orleans for the first time. Have any of you been? What's it really like? šŸ¤”
As cnuveau said, thereā€™s Mardi Gras experience thatā€™s family friendly and then thereā€™s the French Quarter. Both are doable in one short trip. Depends on what you want. The parades are fun, unique and different from any parade youā€™ve ever seen. Thereā€™s plenty of drinking and eating along the parade routes. Itā€™ll be crowded but youā€™re able to move about. The Quarter/Bourbon St. will be jammed packed, especially late at night. Think a giant mosh pit. Iā€™d highly recommend coming. Stay in Metairie/Kenner. Hotels will be cheaper.

@NOBGE is giving great advice. Iā€™ve been to Mardi Gras several times and I love it. I also love Halloween in the French Quarter and itā€™s not as crowded. The ghost tours are always amazing, but thereā€™s just something extra about them at Halloween.

Also recommend seeing both day and night parades to get the whole Mardi Gras experience. Just knowā€¦we have been in the Quarter late at night at Mardi Gras, and it gets TRASHED. The layer of filth on the ground is something elseā€¦we called it ā€œthe soup.ā€ šŸ˜‚

Time to start getting our bodies in Mardi Gras shape...so work on your long distance walking and raise your alcohol tolerance to robot levels while getting 43 minutes of sleep over a two week period

If ya know, ya know!

@NOBGE is giving great advice. Iā€™ve been to Mardi Gras several times and I love it. I also love Halloween in the French Quarter and itā€™s not as crowded. The ghost tours are always amazing, but thereā€™s just something extra about them at Halloween.

Also recommend seeing both day and night parades to get the whole Mardi Gras experience. Just knowā€¦we have been in the Quarter late at night at Mardi Gras, and it gets TRASHED. The layer of filth on the ground is something elseā€¦we called it ā€œthe soup.ā€ šŸ˜‚
But the layer of filth gets cleaned quickly! Yes, avoid the soup or street gravey at all costs!
A city that buryā€™s the dead above ground, has cemetery and ghost tours and has a drinking problemā€¦what better place to celebrate Halloween!

Back