The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

I wanted to do a fairly simple financial transaction.

It could be done by App - I don't have a phone that takes apps, and even if I did I'd have to attach a full-size keyboard because of clumsy fingers (not age-related but since birth).

.
One of my sons-in-law did a similar transaction by app recently. It took him less than five minutes.

Modern banking systems are not designed for ancients with hearing and speech problems.

Coffee needed while I calm down.

My 'phone does not do "Apps" either. There are times when I fear Apple and Whoever-we-are assume that we all want, need & desire a modern glossy 'phone with a delicate screen (and a repair Bill to match); for my part, they are wrong.

I am of the opinion that no 'modern' system is capable of dealing with the 'elderly'.
Probably because the programmers are 20-45 and don't listen to their elders [!!]
(Well, says the programmer, I can understand it, why can't you?)

As my local Bank Branch has closed I now do my business with a Building Society.

Thanks for the gen on the Gumbo.
Any coffee left please?
 
Is 'gumbo' some sort of soup-stuff ?
You can look that up.
(I never did understand the Brenda Lee song reference to 'filly gumbo')
Hank Williams, JAMBALAYA.

Filé is powdered dried sassafras leaves, for thickening and flavoring. Filly gumbo would be stew of a young woman or horse. Like in Mexico -- be careful where you order a burrito. In the north you get stuff wrapped in a big tortilla. In the south you get a small burro -- roasted or fried, it's up to you. R.L. Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey would have been a culinary tour in Chiapas or Oaxaca. Just so -- in New Mexico, filly gumbo gives you a choice of horsemeats. Hi yo, Silver!
 
Most young women make their own juicy stew and it doesn't need thickening for the most part. :D
 
As 'gumbo' is not a common dish in my part of the UK, I think I'll pass on such culinary fancies.
But I would like a nice cup of Tea please.
 
I should make gumbo tonight. It may help me forget this morning's root canal.
 
I should make gumbo tonight. It may help me forget this morning's root canal.

Uh, you must add something extra to your gumbo. Mine might make me sweat but I won't forget. ;)

Fresh coffee for the evening crew. I'm a little late with HP's tea but i will put a fresh kettle on.
 
You're in luck Zeb, I always use the big pot for gumbo.

It's supposed to get down to 28 Sunday here.

Yeah, the forecast has changed three time in the past day and a half. It's currently 68f and the call for cold weather has changed to Sunday morning. Down to 32F.
 
Status report

Weather: A brief break in the atmospheric river, then more.

Spices: Whatever I can get away with. My taste buds have suffered.

Painkillers: Also whatever I can get away with, mostly legal.

Foods: Many savory slops continue to emerge from the Instant Pot.

Music: I promised the dentist to play chromatic harmonica more.

Writing: A Valentine contest story is trying to emerge. Set it free!

Laptop: Chunks are falling off it. Time for more SuperGlue.

Tomorrow: We WILL go walking in the sunshine somewhere.
 
That hot kettle was just the thing, thanks, Tx.
And this morning, I managed to make a fried breakfast; (the pills must be working !).

And we have +5C with a very cold draught.
Coffee, I think.
 
three-of-the-best-words-ever-saturday-morning-coffee-morticia-8782375.png
 
Morning all. Brisk today, windy, and cool at 50f right now.

Hot coffee sounds good about now. Thank you.

Y'all have a great day.

Chloe - Everyday is Saturday for me. ;)
 
Good morning all,

Zeb it's like 48 here with a nasty north wind. The feel like is 42. Some time earlier this morning it decided to rain and I do mean rain. I like the sound of rain on a metal roof but this was the loudest I had heard in a long time.

Fresh coffee is ready. I decided on Raisin Bran for breakfast. Something different.
 
I actually succeeded making a cup of 'real' coffee (standing up) this morning.
These pills seem to work !

Tinme for another coffee, I think
 
I actually succeeded making a cup of 'real' coffee (standing up) this morning.
These pills seem to work !

Tinme for another coffee, I think

Congrats. Uh, not on the making coffee part but the standing up part. :cool:

Lunch came and went while I was doing other stuff. Better late than never. Ham sandwiches sound good.
 
One cup (8oz / 240ml) from the French press -- the rest for my partner. Then one cup from the espresso-oid pot. All washing down the usual granola bar and yogurt tub -- but wait, there's more! We've a lunch appointment at some fancy eatery down in the nearby winery town. Back in Gold Rush days, every bit of Mother Lode land not mined was farmed or vined. Amador (Amateur) County beat Napa and Sonoma by decades.

Has anyone made wine from coffee beans? Hybridized coffee and grapes or other fruit? Maybe some DNA tweaking could do the trick.
 
One cuppa tea coming up, HP. I'll leave the kettle if you want more later.

The high today of 48 was at 9AM and has fallen ever since. It's supposed to be freezing by midnight and go as low as 28 by daylight.

So fresh coffee for the afternoon crowd.

No writing so far today but... Ya never know what is just around the corner.
 
Thanks, Tex; we currently "enjoy" +6C, but it feels a great deal colder than that.
I may try and do some work in the shed a bit later; if my pills hold out long enough !"!

Meanwhile - Coffee
 
Morning HP, fresh coffee coming up.

It's 31 -1c and feels like 24. It is 57 in the house. Then central air and heat is malfunctioning on heat. The fan works, I can even get the A/C to come on but not fucking heat. I even went outside to check the breakers.

Happy Sinday morning.
 
Morning HP, fresh coffee coming up.

It's 31 -1c and feels like 24. It is 57 in the house. Then central air and heat is malfunctioning on heat. The fan works, I can even get the A/C to come on but not fucking heat. I even went outside to check the breakers.

Happy Sinday morning.

We had no heat last week. It turned out, there was bird nest in the chimney, which blocked the draft and caused the furnace to keep shutting off.

Thank god for blankets, hot tea and warm bodies.
 
We had no heat last week. It turned out, there was bird nest in the chimney, which blocked the draft and caused the furnace to keep shutting off.

Thank god for blankets, hot tea and warm bodies.


Especially the warm body. . . .
Coffee ?
 
Morning everyone. It's a brisk 32f / 0c out this morning. Cozy warm inside though.

Coffee please, hot and black, thank you.

I remember winter in Chicago. There was this white stuff all over everything outside, ice on the inside of the windows, and everyone inside was still shivering as the furnace struggled to keep it below freezing inside.

Y'all have a pleasant day. :rose:
 
Morning everyone. It's a brisk 32f / 0c out this morning. Cozy warm inside though.

Coffee please, hot and black, thank you.

I remember winter in Chicago. There was this white stuff all over everything outside, ice on the inside of the windows, and everyone inside was still shivering as the furnace struggled to keep it below freezing inside.

Y'all have a pleasant day. :rose:

Reminds me of our house when I was a kid.
With white stuff all over the garden, and real ICE on some parts of the windows, my Mother looked at my Dad and pointedly stated that "lighting the fire might help."
Father took off one of his pullovers and gave in; and he lit the fire in the living room.

Coffee, I think
 
Back
Top