Stuff

I love guerrilla gardening.

This very law abiding person might have had a go herself at some, with the emphasis on planting things like soft fruits that good be used in low income communities instead of the do nothing look like nothing bushes they plant at the edges to shield them off. Woodland varieties, super tough, tiny fruits , needing no maintaining. Never seen anyone picking them when I go past to check. Did see a dog peeing on them once.

I still like doing it. I always propose we replace our village planting with unusual fruit tree varieties, so that people without room for their own trees can enjoy them, and also be used for heritage varities and did get more soft fruit planted by the village hall. Where it is also unpicked. :(. So instead we still have pelagniums in summer and pansies in winter. I'd love to see sprouts in winter.

Awww...I appreciate the poetry of charity, horticulture, unpicked fruit and dog pee. :heart:

I'm certain some birds enjoyed it. I enjoyed it!

2013-03-25-cadavre.jpg

2014-02-09-cadavre-time.jpg

2014-02-13-cadavre-technology.jpg

2014-03-27-cadavre-art.jpg

Oh, these are AWESOME.

And I hear him in the voice of "Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" - Joseph's brothers lamenting their fate in the famine...after selling Joseph into slavery.

It HAS to be sung in a terrible French accent.

"Do you remember the good years in Canaan? The summers were endlessly gold The fields were a patchwork of clover. The winters were never too cold. We'd stroll down the boulevard together. No hint of this tragic decline. Now the fields are dead and bare. No joie de vivre anywhere. Et maintenant we drink a bitter wine.

Do you remember those wonderful parties? The splendor of Canaan's cuisine? Those extravagant, elegant soirees? The gayest the Bible has seen. It's funny but since we lost Joseph, we've gone to the other extreme.

No one comes to dinner now.

We'd only eat them anyhow.

I even find I'm missing Joseph's dreams."

The multicolor one below is pretty boss, woulda snatched that in a heartbeat. :D

Goggla spotted these this morning by the entrance on Avenue B at East Eighth Street...[/COLOR][/I]

http://evgrieve.com/2015/11/someone-placed-free-homemade-scarves-in.html

I love this "movement." I knit in my spare time and that is such a creative idea for all the "leftover" thread I have - just knit multi-colored scarves. I do a fellowship where we make hats for a homeless shelter but now you might be responsible for me "branching out."

I love this "movement." I knit in my spare time and that is such a creative idea for all the "leftover" thread I have - just knit multi-colored scarves. I do a fellowship where we make hats for a homeless shelter but now you might be responsible for me "branching out."

I love to knit, I haven't in a while, but I only do the simple knit one side, purl the other. Bamboo yarn on big needles. But I have approximately 27 huge blankets from that process and eventually I decided...no more...

But I occasionally just knit for the feel of it, then unravel it all.

I love to knit, I haven't in a while, but I only do the simple knit one side, purl the other. Bamboo yarn on big needles. But I have approximately 27 huge blankets from that process and eventually I decided...no more...

But I occasionally just knit for the feel of it, then unravel it all.

It's how I stay awake to watch TV - I am pretty sure I have "TV narcolepsy." If I sit down for too long in front of a TV, I fall asleep. Used to drive my ex insane since he was a huge movie buff. So I took up knitting. I'm not making any sweaters or anything crazy like that ;)

So is that...by hand? I'm missing the significance.

Likely hand-drawn as a rough, then digitized, then further refined by hand using B-curve streamlining in Illustrator or a similar program.

Even computers on auto can't really get it fine-tuned (they add needless points, the rule is to use as few as possible), B-curves have to be adjusted by hand using a mouse, so in a way, it's never not by hand.

It's how I stay awake to watch TV - I am pretty sure I have "TV narcolepsy." If I sit down for too long in front of a TV, I fall asleep. Used to drive my ex insane since he was a huge movie buff. So I took up knitting. I'm not making any sweaters or anything crazy like that ;)

I was raised very crafty and I go through all sorts of craft phases, knitting and cross stitching being the two mainstays. Cross stitching takes too much attention though, too much reference, so yeah. I like the feel of bamboo needles and yarn, and I can just keep going forever and my hands are occupied.

Now it's been replaced with my Kindle and I haven't done it for a while, but seriously, blankets everywhere, one or two over every chair with a lot of chairs. And I made one for my son in neon orange because that's his favorite color.

Likely hand-drawn as a rough, then digitized, then further refined by hand using B-curve streamlining in Illustrator or a similar program.

Even computers on auto can't really get it fine-tuned (they add needless points, the rule is to use as few as possible), B-curves have to be adjusted by hand using a mouse, so in a way, it's never not by hand.

Yeah, that's very cool. I love those moments where I see how I wasn't impressed by something that's...very hard to do.

I am...angry...that I was never taught that Alexandre Dumas was a person of color.

Really...really angry.

Stupid black and white photographs...

So every version of The Three Musketeers and Man in the Iron Mask and Count of Monte Cristo has been whitewashed, the author has been whitewashed...

Dammit, history...

220px-Nadar_-_Alexander_Dumas_p%C3%A8re_%281802-1870%29_-_Google_Art_Project_2.jpg

I don't think it was white washed, it exists in depictions of him. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to his creations. Which is how it should be, no? His work stands alone on its value and not ' brilliant ....for some one of his colour at the time' its just good full stop. Which is .....just how things should be in ideal world NOW that we should all realise skin pigmentation is just ....skin pigmentation.

I need to read the books, is what I'm getting, that the racial descriptions of the Musketeers make them not so much French nationals, that D'Artagnan sees white skin on Lady DeWinter and kinda freaks out about her differences from his own skin.

So maybe I'm just mad at me for not digging a bit deeper into the source.

understand that he didn't make race a protest issue, that he was proud of his heritage and still expressed himself and that's missing in most popular renditions. (My favorite is still going to be Man In The Iron Mask with Richard Chamberlain...who was gay...wait, just checked...still gay, 81 years old)

I also respect Neil De Grasse Tyson who won't do interviews on the basis of race and won't go there.

But I'm pretty sure that everyone else making casting choices and script choices can kiss my ass.

This is a contemporary portrait of Dumas's father.

article-0-160AA92F000005DC-581_468x424.jpg

Le Compte de Monte-Cristo is my favourite, book and film ( Gerard Depardu). Richard chamberlain film of iron mask was wonderful. Book is sublime. The three was never my favourite, but I caught bits of a modern steam pinky sort of rendition film on television this week and thought that looked fun, if separated perhaps from the books.

French history with race is interesting. In more recent history, one of the family favourite restaurants in Paris was also a favourite place of Josephine Baker, for example. A very different climate to that in some other European places.

STEAM PINKY! Best typo ever. :heart:

I'm getting Count, Iron and Three on Audible. About 60 hours apiece. Gonna be busy for a bit.

STEAM PINKY! Best typo ever. :heart:

I'm getting Count, Iron and Three on Audible. About 60 hours apiece. Gonna be busy for a bit.

I also did not realize Dumas was an individual "of color." Like you, I am baffled I did not know this.

And I highly recommend Count on audiobook - I LOVE the story, but I have to admit that reading it was kind of a special hell at times. It took three attempts before I finally was able to fully commit. I MAY have promised myself some sort of treat. Sadly, I've not read the other two so perhaps I'll audiobook those.

I also did not realize Dumas was an individual "of color." Like you, I am baffled I did not know this.

And I highly recommend Count on audiobook - I LOVE the story, but I have to admit that reading it was kind of a special hell at times. It took three attempts before I finally was able to fully commit. I MAY have promised myself some sort of treat. Sadly, I've not read the other two so perhaps I'll audiobook those.

The classics are really hit or miss for me. Audiobooks are a boon because I can do them in bits and pieces and while I'm doing chores.

I also spent a year or so taking them out of the library with Overdrive, catching up on a ton of free stuff.

So Moby Dick was fascinating...I'm sure I couldn't have sat down and read that, I'd be antagonized, but mostly I kept thinking "Holy shit...this dude loves whales." Poetic and insightful and holy fuck, lots of whales.

Anna Karenina was "Wow, this author is astonishing and talented, poetic and prosaic and I hate...everyone...in this book and I wish she'd punch him and go be a pirate."

The only one I really, absolutely, despite all my attempts, cannot get through is Ulysses. I've tried to read it about five separate times, and then I bought it on audio and I just get this revulsion at some point like something evil is burrowing in my brain "Okay, we're at the racism part, I remember this. A world of nope."

Also, I have actually sat and read Les Miserables multiple times and yeah, that's a big 'un. Usually bores the crap out of people, but I love all the voices he can bring together in orchestration.

I think i'm odd. I find it easier to take in through writing than audio book. For personal reasons i am constantly being advised to switch half my reading to audio book but i just don't 'appreciate' in the same way.

I got a work by a favourite writer on audio and Was seriously put off. Oh.....i did just think i might ask g for the real book for christmas.

It definitely depends on the person.

My daughter has a vivid imagination and she sees and hears characters in her head, and audio is just too distracting for her, dampens her enjoyment.

For me, though, I don't imagine voices or faces, and I am there for the words and the emotional content and my brain lights up with that with a good narrator.

I will also have a tendency to get distracted and...skim...or skip at times, and an audio book won't allow that.

I think i'm odd. I find it easier to take in through writing than audio book. For personal reasons i am constantly being advised to switch half my reading to audio book but i just don't 'appreciate' in the same way.

I got a work by a favourite writer on audio and Was seriously put off. Oh.....i did just think i might ask g for the real book for christmas.

I'm always actually reading a book and then listening to an audiobook (for the car, chores, etc). It took me forever to get into audiobooks because it was hard for me to focus on what was being said, but I think a lot of it has to do with the narrator. I seriously now read the reviews of the audiobook because I think the narrator can make or break a story. I did Amy Poehler's "Yes Please" on audiobook and it was fantastic! I think it has to be better than the physical book because she has Kathleen Turner "play her" sometimes and she also has other guests pop in. Now I've heard Aziz Ansari basically berates people in his audiobook for being lazy choosing audio so that I will read.

Anna Karenina was "Wow, this author is astonishing and talented, poetic and prosaic and I hate...everyone...in this book and I wish she'd punch him and go be a pirate."

I wondered if you had read Anna Karenina - I felt Count of Monte Cristo was more difficult. And I know people say Anna is a tough read. Once I got into it, I loved it. Of course, I only love romances when they don't live happily ever after ;)

Back