Being autistic and random stuff

I'm following, I have an almost adult child with severe ADHD and ASD and he hasn't even held a girl's hand. I'm nervous on his behalf for the most intimate parts of any future relationship because the "tism" is strong with this one. Interested to read what everyone has to say.

I'm following, I have an almost adult child with severe ADHD and ASD and he hasn't even held a girl's hand. I'm nervous on his behalf for the most intimate parts of any future relationship because the "tism" is strong with this one. Interested to read what everyone has to say.
Owch. I don't think you could provide a meaningful suggestion to a NT person, given how varied personalities are. Maybe you need to ask yourself if a relationship is what he wants or needs? He may feel he ought to have a relationship if that's an expectation he's acquired. Depends, depends. :confused:

Owch. I don't think you could provide a meaningful suggestion to a NT person, given how varied personalities are. Maybe you need to ask yourself if a relationship is what he wants or needs? He may feel he ought to have a relationship if that's an expectation he's acquired. Depends, depends. :confused:
I meant more that I want to have a better understanding.
He's openly talked about wanting a gf and he feels like he's broken because he hasn't. I'm trying to be reassuring and supportive, hence my interest here.

Sorry - I'm up to speed now (y)
The only suggestion I have is to see if there's a local autism family group you could talk to. You're not the first to go through this but I can understand how distressing it must be.

this is so so sad, and wrong—fucking florida, fucking 'religion'

A time that is meant to bring awareness about those who are on the autism spectrum was canceled at a private school in Palm Beach County, Florida, leaving some parents heartbroken and full of questions.

An email from the lead pastor at Trinity Christian Academy described recognizing Autism Awareness Week as "demonic."
Gallik said she was left in tears, and she'll be pulling her kids out of the school.

"The email comes, and I feel like my heart stops beating because not once but twice he says that wearing this title of autism is demonic. And my mouth was on the floor," Gallik said. "I'm offended as a Christian because I feel that he is using the Bible for his own interpretation. And his interpretation is offensive. Not just to my son but to any child, adult afflicted with autism. Breaks my heart. It breaks my heart."
the activities planned that got stopped?
"We were supposed to have 'wear blue' for World Autism Day. We were going do tie dye for celebrate neurodiversity, all fun things that just would have had kids learning a little bit more about autism and how to speak and act with their friends who have it," Gallik said. "Miles has started saying he doesn't belong in his class, and I just tell him that God made him perfectly. And this was a plan all along, and we just have to walk in it and know he's a smart boy and everyone who meets him loves him."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...p&cvid=eab4df6388d14a13cc289b173676b4c1&ei=54

I just had one of those ridiculous convos on whatsapp - a medium that confounds meaningful discussion and is fraught with misunderstandings. However... the brief few lines did throw light on something I've experienced and then thought "It's probably just me". If I had an ASD tutor they'd give me a D- for that thought "just me". Turns out my whatsapp friend is getting therapy for exactly the same problem, namely 'Once you've been diagnosed, your autism gets worse.'
I did not know that, but why should I be unique in the magical world of ASD to think I was the only one to have noticed that effect?!
I'd better stop as I have a visual migraine starting, which are a blast but makes typing tricky.

ETA
Now supper is done and vision returned to normal, I can explain a little more.
In the light of my ASD diagnosis it took me around 18mths to process my memories in particular. Since then I've begun to give myself permission to do what suits me, rather than squeezing myself into NT expectations.
So now, if I feel uncomfortable about going to a gathering where there will be crowds of people doing what they do, then I'll simply say 'Nope, sorry.' Before I might have felt obliged to go out of politeness. That doesn't mean I go round being blunt and rude but if it takes me two days to recover from being in that people-breathing-on-me-hellhole then too bad: I know what makes me happy and my happiness is more important than a host who won't even notice I'm not there.
I'll let myself play in a less constrained way too. If I'm on my own and feel like stimming, then I will. Previously I would have worried I was going mad or that someone might see me. I still worry a little I might be seen, but fuck em.

Coming to terms with the new version of me is an ongoing process. It hasn't taken over my life with self-adsorbed navel-gazing. Ultimately it's about being happy and carefree.

Last edited:
Coming to terms with the new version of me is an ongoing process. It hasn't taken over my life with self-adsorbed navel-gazing. Ultimately it's about being happy and carefree.
Tell us the secret when you find "carefree", but happy is definitely the right goal. Every happy person makes the world happier.

Back