The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2017 Contest Support Thread

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
The Winter Holidays Contest entries end today but there is only a short time between the end of that Contest and the start of the Valentine's Day contest. The dates for the 2017 contests haven't been set yet but a contest start in week three of January is usual.

Valentine's Day
themes: romantic love, Valentine's Day, Cupid, sensuality, etc.
starts: January 19
closes: February 6
winners announced: February 12

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the Valentine's Day Contest. Get your rose tinted glasses on, buy dozens of red roses, and too many pink-themed cards. What could go wrong?

There is an advantage to entering stories in one of Literotica's themed contests, apart from the possibility of winning, and that is that your story gets far more exposure and attention than it would normally do.

Some of that attention might be unwelcome, some abusive, but some could be appreciative and helpful.

EDITED to insert 2017 Dates.

Last edited:
Argh, seriously? Forget this, I'll start planning for next year's winter's contest instead.

I have two partially done, one of which I abandoned last year. What I wrote so far was better than I remembered.

The three holiday-themed contests right in a row--Halloween, Christmas (Winter, technically, but you know), and Valentine's Day--are always relatively easy themes for me to do. It's the other three that tend to stump me.

Argh, seriously? Forget this, I'll start planning for next year's winter's contest instead.

Me too. Well I have a half written summer story, another for halloween, and two for winter holidays. All started between two and three years ago.

Me too. Well I have a half written summer story, another for halloween, and two for winter holidays. All started between two and three years ago.

I have seven part written Valentine's Day stories, some started ten years ago. :eek:

Is there a list around here someplace of the upcoming "holiday" contests?

The new one isn't out yet but it will probably be the same as this year except for the start and end dates.

It is the last post by Laurel in the Welcome Authors! Please Read sticky.

Being authors, the last thing we are likely to look at is a thread marked "Please Read". :D

It is the last post by Laurel in the Welcome Authors! Please Read sticky.

Being authors, the last thing we are likely to look at is a thread marked "Please Read". :D

As noted, that's not the list for next year.

Hm. None of the earliest ones strike my fancy, although I can probably alter one just a bit for the April Fools' Day contest.

I do have several for the summer one started.

Thank you, Ogg.

A little help, please, for an upcoming story, possibly for the Valentine's Day Contest:

How does one type out the sound made by clicking the tongue to get horses to move?

"Tsk" isn't quite right.

A little help, please, for an upcoming story, possibly for the Valentine's Day Contest:

How does one type out the sound made by clicking the tongue to get horses to move?

"Tsk" isn't quite right.

Well, in South Africa the click sound in Xhosa and San is spelt using ! Or x - as in !Xhosa. Its called a palatal click. Maybe tchic or tchik.

Isn't it interesting the things you learn from travelling.

Well, in South Africa the click sound in Xhosa and San is spelt using ! Or x - as in !Xhosa. Its called a palatal click. Maybe tchic or tchik.

Isn't it interesting the things you learn from travelling.

That's definitely the sound I was going for, but writing it that way probably won't work for the story. I may have to settle for "She clicked with her tongue and the horse began to move". {Eww. That sounds dirty. Maybe not exactly like that.}

It'll do. Not well, perhaps, but it'll do.

Thank you for your help.

That's definitely the sound I was going for, but writing it that way probably won't work for the story. I may have to settle for "She clicked with her tongue and the horse began to move". {Eww. That sounds dirty. Maybe not exactly like that.}

It'll do. Not well, perhaps, but it'll do.

Thank you for your help.

I don't know how you make that sound. I learned to make the sound in my cheek and it was something like "tch'k."

Maybe it would get the idea across better if your character just talked to the horse. I have a horse named Concha Isabella Agustina de Candelária (Concha, for short--she was named by a nine-year-old girl) who's becoming a character in one of my stories. I think I'll just have her rider talk to her--and maybe kick her a bit when she doesn't want to move.

The sound I make is more of a "tick, tick," sound. Most horses seem to recognize it but one or two have looked around with a "huh" look on their faces. Then I add a pair of heels and they get the idea real quick.

I don't know how you make that sound. I learned to make the sound in my cheek and it was something like "tch'k."

Maybe it would get the idea across better if your character just talked to the horse. I have a horse named Concha Isabella Agustina de Candelária (Concha, for short--she was named by a nine-year-old girl) who's becoming a character in one of my stories. I think I'll just have her rider talk to her--and maybe kick her a bit when she doesn't want to move.

"tch'k." That's very close. I wonder if there's a snowball's chance in Hell I'll remember this when it comes time to write. :catroar:

The sound I make is more of a "tick, tick," sound. Most horses seem to recognize it but one or two have looked around with a "huh" look on their faces. Then I add a pair of heels and they get the idea real quick.
She's going to be riding in a wagon so her footwear probably isn't going to play a major part in equine acceleration. However, that does give me an idea about a little detail I may toss in the mix.

Thank you both.

She's going to be riding in a wagon so her footwear probably isn't going to play a major part in equine acceleration. However, that does give me an idea about a little detail I may toss in the mix

If she's in a wagon, then slapping the horse on the butt with the reign would work with little or no verbal input. If it's important then I have a source and might be able to get you expert input--but it would take a few weeks. It's a busy time of year.

Back