Frustrated, need editor

BarflyJack

Virgin
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Posts
2
I've already contacted one editor for help, but who knows if that's going to pan out. So I've decided to put another iron in the fire just in case it's days or weeks before they get back to me. Anyway, I've submitted my story twice now and it's been rejected both times. The first time it was because some of the paragraphs were slightly too long, and I made the mistake of forgetting to separate some of my characters dialogue. (Fixed that) and now it's been rejected again and I'm told to check if there's an underage relationship taking place. Well I already know there isn't, so I'm starting to get fairly frustrated now. Maybe this last time it was rejected due to small spelling mistakes or other insignificant errors....who knows. My story does follow all of the other guidelines, so I can't see any other reason, other than me possibly missing some minor mistakes. I really thought this forum would be easier to navigate, but it's turning out to be a real struggle. I just write what's in my head and in my fantasies. I'm certainly no novelist, so why does it have to be perfect? So I'm sending up a flare and hoping someone can come to rescue my story, maybe point to some things I've missed.
 
What's the word count of your story, the premise, and category? This information makes it easier for editors to decide if they're interested and available to edit.
 
If you check the stickies at the top of the Editor's Forum there is one for who is available to edit in February. Check with one of them (as it happens, I am on that list as well). Some editors prefer NOT to edit specific genres so make sure you pick an appropriate one. Then PM them - and turn your PM functionality on so we can contact you back... good luck.
 
If the rejection was specifically for possible underage, it's probably spinning wheels to look for different problems. Look at your story for just this again. Where are the points where sex involving anyone who might be taken as having been under eighteen at the time? You may need do nothing more than reply with a note in the Notes column explaining those away--or asking to be shown where they might exist if you can't see any. The story has just been scanned by the editor, not read in detail, and the rejection is in the form of a question. The truthful answer to that question might very well be that there's no problem--in which case the story probably will be passed into the story file.

And you won't be bogged down by looking for problems that weren't identified as the problem in the rejection notice.
 
Thank you

Thank you all for getting back to me so soon. I did realize that I foolishly looked over the fact that I gave reference to an underage relationship in my story. I felt it was necessary to include references to one of my characters sex lives when he was young. So I assumed that if I didn't go into too much detail it would be alright. Completely my mistake, I took it out and resubmitted, so hopefully I'm all good now.
 
Awesome - good luck. Just proves the point that an author can be a little too close to his/her story, and miss certain things when you read it yourself. That's why it's a good idea to use an editor as the extra pair of eyes.
 
Why was it rejected when all you have given was a reference? I mean in Lit I think it's acceptable to say, 'I lost my cherry when I was sixteen.' or an underage boy saying, 'I already had sex. No need to explain me the working.' Or is it not? Will a story be rejected if an author includes anything similar to the above examples in a story?
 
I would be happy to edit your manuscript. I have successfully published 41 stories on Literotica, so I think I can navigate you through the system if there is a problem. I don't care what category it falls in, except I won't do piss or shit. Private message me to accept and I will send you my e-mail.
 
I have alluded to an early rape in one of my stories and that passed. I have also referred to "experimenting in a boy scout tent", but only as background. You cannot describe the act or use it to excite or turn on your reader. Also you must be careful if you have characters actually having sex,to state clearly that they are over 18. In fact, to be safe, i no longer use anyone under 19.
 
I never heard of a writer who didn't want his writing to be perfect. I cannot even read one of my stories without trying to better it. That is why I need an editor. I get so tied up in substantive changes I miss typos and such. Thank god my wife is an excellent editor and proof reader.
 
Back
Top