appealing moderator rejections

EricaDoesNow

Getting there
I have had a chapter of a story rejected twice now. I've read, read, reread, and cannot find anything that should be rejected. This isn't my first, or second story. I believe I have a handle on the do's and don'ts. Is there ANY way to appeal the rejections, OR, get them to notify us WHY it was rejected? Thanks.

I have had a chapter of a story rejected twice now. I've read, read, reread, and cannot find anything that should be rejected. This isn't my first, or second story. I believe I have a handle on the do's and don'ts. Is there ANY way to appeal the rejections, OR, get them to notify us WHY it was rejected? Thanks.
You would have had a rejection notice. It usually gives an idea of why it is rejected. it won’t be specific to a paragraph but usually enough to know what to look out for.

You will have received one of a set of standard, generic, rejection notices, usually as a set of questions - what are the grounds for rejection in your case? Tell us that, and someone might be able to give better advice.

You won't receive a specific "point to" example from your story - the first notice is generic.

There is no higher appeal authority - Laurel is the site editor, so you're dealing with her "office" from the start. I saw recently that she did point to a specific issue in a couple of stories, but I think that's rare, and only after several go-arounds.

You have to address the questions received in your rejection notice as best you can, and keep on resubmitting with a note to the editor that you've done so. Your story will either go live, or you'll get another rejection, or you might, eventually, receive something specific.

Back