Dealing With Left-Adjusting

J

John988

[This content has been removed due to a copyright violation.]

Last edited by a moderator:
So, as I understand the way the site works, all text is left-adjusted--ya?--and there's no way to get around this--right? For my stories, this is no problem; I just leave off the indentations of the first lines of paragraphs and throw in an extra return between them.

I recently finished a poem, which I'd like to post here, but it uses a lot of indents to aid in its visual flow. Anyone have any ideas about how to deal with the clash between my formatting and the site's formatting?

Thanks!

Do you mean "left justified" ?

Hard left justification might be the sticking point.

Suggest PM Laurel for advice - given it's poetry, the format rules might be more flexible. Might be, but if RubenR's suggestions don't show a solution, left justified right ragged is probably it.

You can play a few formatting tricks in HTML but they won't appear on the LIT Android app. My advise: go plain vanilla text-wise. Use words, not formatting, to communicate.

So, as I understand the way the site works, all text is left-adjusted--ya?--and there's no way to get around this--right? For my stories, this is no problem; I just leave off the indentations of the first lines of paragraphs and throw in an extra return between them.

I recently finished a poem, which I'd like to post here, but it uses a lot of indents to aid in its visual flow. Anyone have any ideas about how to deal with the clash between my formatting and the site's formatting?

Thanks!

Turn it into an illustrated poem and format it how you want it to be on the background you choose.

Thanks for the input on this from everyone. I think I'll just leave off posting it on here. Getting rid of the formatting just mucks it up.

I can see the visual as being part of how you see your work, but if readers have to have the same visual to get the idea, then isn't that maybe a weakness in your content?

I embedded a sung verse in one of my stories, and I worked to get it presented on the page the way I wanted it. The site stripped off all my formatting, left justified it, and treated each line as a new paragraph. My stomach flip-flopped, then I read it again and realized that what I wanted to say was still there.

If the presentation is paramount then you can format it the way you want and provide it to the site as an image (jpg, bmp, etc) and work with Laurel to show the image. She's open to such things, but you need to PM her and be ready for delays in posting.

That's kind of a strange thing to say. You are aware of the fact that writing, as its printed on the page, is visual, as well as intellectual, aren't you?
Cellphones are not printed pages; those are very different media. A well-laid-out printed or displayed page is a joy. I'm currently re-reading some favorite hard-copies about typography and page design. Beautiful stuff.

But Mel Brooks recently said that folks under age 30 see his films on phones, not on big screens with reactive audiences and visible details. More and more communications squeeze onto tiny platforms. Indents and variable fonts don't communicate well there. Subtleties vanish.

Figure out what you're trying to communicate, and how, and to whom, and whether they'll 'get' it.

You can play a few formatting tricks in HTML but they won't appear on the LIT Android app. My advise: go plain vanilla text-wise. Use words, not formatting, to communicate.

What is this 'app' people keep talking about? I can't find one on the Play store.

What is this 'app' people keep talking about? I can't find one on the Play store.

It isn't on the play store. You have to download it from Lit. I think the link is on the front page. Then your phone will bitch and complain about security issues. If you want it, then you have to power through.

It isn't on the play store. You have to download it from Lit. I think the link is on the front page. Then your phone will bitch and complain about security issues. If you want it, then you have to power through.

Hmmm. I think I'll stick with the mobile site at this point.

Back