The Tavern Down at Old Caernarvon (closed for heartofcourage)

Armen tried to pull back the heart-wrenching emotions, but he simply couldn't for some time. When he finally managed to calm himself down, he came down to the tavern with Aida. The next morning about an hour after sunrise, Dalton and five other centaurs arrived, all with black bands about one arm and wide black bands wrapped about the middle of their horse bodies. It was a common sign of centaurs in mourning or a centaur funeral procession. They wouldn't just carry Lysander to Caernarvon, they'd take him respectfully with all the trappings of a member of their own tribe. They'd brought a specially-made coffin for him too, set in a black-draped wagon being drawn by two at a time. The other four would act as guardians at each corner, and they'd trade pulling the wagon.

Dalton knocked on the front door and Elise let him in, but the others stayed outside. The family was already gathered and Dalton looked at them with a gentle smile. "It's not every day a bunch of centaurs dresses up to carry a human across the isle like royalty. The others in the tribe have decided that he will be treated as a tribal elder and buried with the same honors. After all... he was a dear friend to those of us not too afraid to speak to humans, and he dealt with plenty of our tricks when some of us were young and came to play with Marri."
 
"He was a good man and he's already sorely missed." Marri said softly as Dalton entered their home. "And he'll be happy to know that he's going to rest with Gran in Caernarvon."

Aida stood to the side, listening to the entire conversation. Glancing towards Armen, she took his hand and pressed her head against his shoulder. "Maybe one day we'll all be allow to go back and visit him. Until then, I know that the centaurs will care for everything that is dear to us."
 
Armen didn't say anything, but squeezed Aida's hand as Durban came down with Gabriel, carrying Lysander on a long board between them, covered with a clean white sheet with flowers laying across his chest from Marri, Elise, and Aida. Dalton stepped forward, carefully lifting Lysander from the board without disturbing the flowers. He carried Lysander outside and laid him in the coffin. The other centaurs were ready to seal it properly, but waited as Dalton looked to the family. "Do any of you need to give him a last farewell?"
 
"I think we all did at different times last night." Marri said to Dalton as Gabriel clung to her neck, unsure of what was going on around him. "It's time to take him home. He missed Gran so much."
 
As his fellow centaurs sealed the coffin, Dalton brought each member of the family a silver ring. It was a tradition of such tribal peoples to present the mourning families with silver rings when their matriarch or patriarch died, though in any other case it was usually the widow or closest child who received the ring. There was even one for Gabriel. It was too big for him, but he would grow into it and until then, he could wear it on a chain.

"I'll see you all when we return," Dalton murmured, pressing a kiss to Marri's cheek before the centaurs finally left them, carrying Lysander's coffin quietly and respectfully between them.
 
They all watched until the group was gone from sight before breaking off to spend the rest of the day on their own in quiet thought. Aida took Armen home, intent on cooking him a good meal and spending the day with him in front of the fire talking and crying as much as he wished. Gabriel and Elise spent the day on their own in the tavern, trying to make sense of what had happened and how they would continue without Lysander.

Marri spent the day with Gabriel, keeping him cheerful despite his confusion. He searched for his grandfather from time to time, but seemed resigned to the fact that he was gone. That evening, she was bathing him when she heard Durban enter the room. Gabriel was splashing in the metal tub, squealing like an excited child as he played.

"I think we should go on our trip soon. It would do us some good to get away and clear our minds." Marri said softly, looking up at her husband.
 
"Where to?" He asked as he came to sit beside her. His voice was a little forlorn as he took over bathing Gabriel for her. He'd been lost in his thoughts lately and hadn't paid much attention to his son.
 
Gabriel continued splashing as his father took over, giggling each time that he splashed water over the rim of the tub or soaked his Da.

"You wanted to take us to Mongolia. I think seeing a far off land would be just about right." Marri said as she leaned in and kissed his cheek gently. "Besides, I think Gabriel could handle the trip."
 
"He probably could 'ave made it only a week after 'e was born," Durban smiled. He was incredibly proud of his sturdy son, knowing the boy, like himself as a toddler, already looked twice his real age. "If 'e's anything like me, he'll look fifteen by th'time 'e's ten."
 
"I think he's the best of me and you." Marri said softly, smiling down at her sunny son as he played. "He's joyful, he's strong, and he is the most loving child that I've ever known. You'll never know how happy I am that we made love that afternoon in Caernarvon."
 
"Y'weren't too tough t'convince. I'd hate t'see what a less honorable man would've done," he teased, kissing her cheek before lifting Gabriel up and wrapping him in a towel, at which the boy giggled and hid his face in the soft fabric.
 
"No convincing at all, you Scottish rogue." Marri teased him with a smile as Gabriel hid in the soft fabric of the towel. "And I'm thankful every day for it. I don't know what I would have done without you in my life."
 
"Probably would've found a much steadier man tha' wouldn' 'ave dragged you off t'Scotland to a loud, nosy family an' made you a mother within nine months o' meeting you," he mused with a chuckle at Gabriel as he dried the boy and got him into his nightclothes.
 
"Have I complained yet?" Marri asked him, helping him get Gabriel into his nightclothes. "I wouldn't trade any of it for the world."

When the little boy was tucked into bed, a story read and finally sleeping soundly, Marri brought Durban in for a gentle kiss. She knew how effected he was by her grandfather's death and she was so proud with how he was handling the whole situation.

"You are the best man that I've ever known, Ban. I'm very happy with our little life." She said softly. "No matter how it might have started."
 
"Y'always make me feel a lot better about tha' choice t'take you up t'Loch Fae when y'say that," he murmured before stealing another kiss and wrapping an arm about her waist to walk to their room together.
 
Once they were locked away in their room, Marri didn't waste any time showing Durban just how much he meant to her. She pushed her strapping husband to sit on the edge of the bed and soon she was on her knees in front of him, gently sucking his hard shaft. It had been a long time since she had done that but the moment had seemed so incredibly right.
 
Durban could only managed a surprised grunt when she pushed him down to the bed, and a subdued, deep groan as she knelt and took his shaft between her lips making him instantly harden. "Jesus, Marri," he murmured, unable to help the way his hips pressed forward ever so slightly.
 
Marri looked up at him with those clear eyes, a smile on her lips as she happily sucked and showed him just what he meant to her. She was gentle, loving, and encouraged him to move and moan all that he wanted. This moment was just for him.
 
Marri never had to work at him terribly long, but Durban was content to enjoy her attention while it lasted. He moaned freely, but quietly so not to disturb anyone else in the house, resting back on his elbows. His hips moved gently in time with the bobbing of her head and soon he lifted a hand to tangle in her hair and encourage her to show him everything she had.
 
Marri gasped as his large hand cradled the back of her head, tangling in her hair as he encouraged her to continue on. He was always incredibly gentle with her, even though she knew that there was a side to him that was fierce. He had never showed that side to her or to Gabriel. It made her respect him so much more.

Her fingers wrapped around his shaft, allowing her to focus on the head. She suckled and licked, her eyes locking onto his own as they shared this intimate moment together. He looked at peace and so in love. She was sure that she looked much the same way.
 
That loving moment was only broken by Durban's deep moan just before his seed filled her mouth and he fell back on their bed, very nearly trembling from the force of his climax at her hand. "Gods, Marri... Yer gonna love me t'death."
 
Marri drank down his seed, sighing as he rested back against their bed and praised her. She grinned, cleaning him up before she tucked him back into his pants with the up most care.

"There are less pleasant ways to die." Marri said as she leaned over her husband and kissed him gently. "You complete me, Ban. I want you to always remember that."
 
"Y'remind me too often t'forget," Durban smiled up at her, drawing her down beside him to hold her close against his broad chest. "Lovely lass..." he muttered. "Glad I walked into tha' tavern. More'n ye'll ever know."
 
Marri settled against his chest, letting out a sigh as he held her tightly. "I love you, Ban. To the moon and back."

She smiled up at her husband, enjoying the tender moment that they were sharing without the world or the sadness of the previous days interfering. It was nice to reconnect with him on the most basic level and to tell each other about the love that they still shared.
 
Durban rested peacefully at her side and returned the favor before long and before they properly retired to bed. Morning seemed brighter than it had been in a long while and a little more cheer seemed to have found the family, mostly brought on by the youngest member who was lively as ever and making his grandmother laugh despite any pain she was still going through as she cleaned up around the tavern that morning.
 
Back
Top