Story too short?

Darkhorse40

Virgin
First-time contributor here! I am nervously waiting to upload my first erotic short story, but I think it may be too short at just over 1,000 words...Any feedback very welcome!

DH

First-time contributor here! I am nervously waiting to upload my first erotic short story, but I think it may be too short at just over 1,000 words...Any feedback very welcome!

It's too short to expect a great rating. It's not too short to get your feet wet as a Lit writer, which is probably the main thing you should want from your first story.

I've written 750 word stories for an event and had them well received. But they were deliberately structured for that length and readers were expecting that.

In my experience a story that short is just going to piss people off.

A lit page is approx 3750 words so you've written less than 1/3 of a page. It might be erotic to you but readers will see it as a sex scene out of a real story.

I've seen hundreds of stories like that over the years and I can't think of many that were well received.

Have a good look at your story and see if you can't add to it. 7500 words (2 pages) would go over much better.

Many thanks. Another novice question- do I need to submit it for review in the forum before posting it?

Thanks, DH

Many thanks. Another novice question- do I need to submit it for review in the forum before posting it?

Thanks, DH

No, it'll get deleted.

Submitting it is the first step and if approved by Laurel then (and only then) you can post a link in the feedback forum and look for opinions.

As gordo12 said: no. You *can* post a request for an editor or beta reader on the Editor's Forum. Make sure you have PMs (private messages) enabled in your user CP. A link to your CP is near the upper left of forum pages.

If you don't think your vignette can or should be expanded to at least 3500 words, almost a full LIT page, and yet other ideas infest you, you can write more vignettes and pack them together in one submission. I have done that with framing devices. A bunch of people lounge around a campfire or bar or pool and swap stories as in Triple Secs and A Taste Of Spirits (both group incest).

Have fun!

DH

As has already been said a story as short as you are saying won’t be well received because the reader has nothing to get their teeth into even if it’s a category they like. The suggestion of getting a beta reader/editor is a good one.

Go on to Authors Hangout, state which category you intend putting it in, and ask if anyone would be willing to read it and give you advice. It could be an experienced writer will give you ideas as to how you can expand the story whilst still keeping it your own.

If you have the story finished and it's as you like it, I suggest you go ahead and submit it and work on the next idea rather than this "will it?" consternation on a humongous reader Web site with no one view (or 300 views) of what is acceptable/wanted. Stories are a renewable resource. They aren't precious breakable eggs.

DH

What category is it in? I’ll look out for it. You might consider putting a link on here because, as you will have already realised, there are good writers who will be glad to help a newcomer. Particularly an enthusiastic one!

I haven't uploaded it yet, as I wanted to get to 3,500 words first, but I will put the link once it is completed.

It would be in the Lesbian/First time category....

Thanks for your time!

Ok, many thanks! I have now expanded to 3,200 words and will try to get to 3,500 at least....
3200 words is good. That's almost a full LIT page and leaves room for comments on the single page. It gets tricky when you're up around 3700 words and your last paragraph is left hanging atop page 2. I hate when that happens.

If your story feels 'done' at 3200 words. great!

Oooh, that sounds scary, but perhaps doable as the words just flowed once I set out to expand the story haha!

You've got it past the first hump and the story is flowing... just let it go. Let it play out.

Stop worrying about word count now and tell the story! :D

You've got it past the first hump and the story is flowing... just let it go. Let it play out.

Stop worrying about word count now and tell the story! :D

It's easier to write too much and cut back than to feel you need to add more and stretch. Let the words flow!

Ok, total rookie question, but I have been trying for hours to upload the file to have a volunteer editor look at it, and have tried everything (saved in all formats; changed pixel size) and it STILL won't upload! Does anyone have any practical tips and/or can point me in the right direction please....Many thanks! DH

Ok, total rookie question, but I have been trying for hours to upload the file to have a volunteer editor look at it, and have tried everything (saved in all formats; changed pixel size) and it STILL won't upload! Does anyone have any practical tips and/or can point me in the right direction please....Many thanks! DH

Where have you been trying to upload it?

Normally, once you've contacted a volunteer editor and they've agreed to edit for you, you will work out with them how to exchange the copy.

You only upload to Literotica when you're submitting the story for publication, and you don't put more than a couple paragraphs of your story on the forum.

I think I have it sorted now. Once it is submitted, I´ll post a link here. All feedback very welcome- I am very nervous as this is my very first story!

I am very nervous

LOL, welcome to the club. Pushing that submit button was damn hard. People were going to laugh at me, flame me, it went on and on.

So yeah people laughed, people flamed, but a lot more nice people went wow, do it again!

It makes it all worthwhile. :D

I think I have it sorted now. Once it is submitted, I´ll post a link here. All feedback very welcome- I am very nervous as this is my very first story!
It's how we all started, Submit #1. You'll be fine :).

ps: start writing #2, and don't sweat the first one. It is what it is, it's the next one that counts. Even when you have a few stories under your belt it's always the next one that really matters.

ps: start writing #2, and don't sweat the first one. It is what it is...
I wrote and submitted my first short series and then wrote my second. The first was rejected... and I learned. The second series was the first posted, then the revised #1 went up -- and both were better than if #1 had NOT been rejected. It's all a learning process.

...it's the next one that counts. Even when you have a few stories under your belt it's always the next one that really matters.
Quite right. What's done is done... unless a writer is a paranoid perfectionist who slaves eternally at rewrites, poor sod. I'll admit to making minor fixes to some in my back catalog, but only for major fuckups. Time to move on.

Now I merely need the voices in my head to tell me what to write next.

Many thanks! My first story was published, which I honestly did not expect, so I have created a new post for feedback.....I am sure it will need a total rewrite, but there is no other way to learn than through constructive criticism and feedback, which I look forward to, as I have just finished the first draft of my second story!

Here is the link: https://www.literotica.com/s/first-time-with-a-girl-3

Back