The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Good morning all! Cuppa, sound good.

Languages? The only ones I know aren't spoken...

Fortran, Cobol, RPG II, Sql, Pascal, etc.

I took German in high school, it didn't stick. Then when I was stationed in Korea I tried to learn, I did pick up a few things that I really needed, but understanding someone talking to me in Korean, nope. :eek:

Y'all have a great day.

u's are highly overrated. ;)

Totally sperflos to reqirements.

Getting my Toyota serviced so I’m sitting in the dealers drinking free coffee and making use of a very comfortable workstation for the next couple of hours. Nice early start to my writing day. Reading up on mongol composite bows.

Last edited:
I was fluent in IBM's SPS code for the 1401 and the machine code as well.

As a Boy Scout I had the interpreter's badge, originally for my version of Spanish but then for other languages as the tests were very simple. At a Scout Jamboree in Sydney I was in demand because I had badges for Spanish, French, German and Italian. No one actually wanted to speak to me in those languages but the idea that I could speak four languages as well as Australian was unheard of in monoglot Australia.

The tests included giving your name, age and being able to take basic directions for travel or give them. A basic phrase book provided more than I needed to pass each language.

And I could order coffee in five languages...

Some find COBOL wordy. ArnoldC is a programming language based on one-liners of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Following is the "Hello, World!" programmed in arnoldc:

IT'S SHOWTIME
TALK TO THE HAND "Hello, World!"
YOU HAVE BEEN TERMINATED

I love languages and find myself spacing out just listening to people speak when they are speaking something other than English.

I know some Dutch, enough that I can usually translate the written word, but have difficulty with the spoken word because I'm midwestern and there's that whole accent thing going on.
As I am midwestern, we live nearly in the middles of the US, if you go 50 miles south the southern twang smacks you in the face!
My older kids don't seem to have much of an accent, at least to me, because they were raised in St Louis for the most part, but my youngest who was raised in Southern Illinois has a slight twang.

I dabble in Portuguese. Still learning because I have a lot of Portuguese speaking Brazilian online friends.

I want to learn at least some basic Spanish because we have a few Spanish speaking only families that come to the food pantry and only one person working that knows Spanish.
Also want to learn some sign language because we have a deaf couple that comes in and I would love to be able to 'talk' to them.

LOL
It's probably apocryphal. My wife was a medical photographer and her colleague had to attend ER where a med student had tried to replicate an 'accident' where casualty had been running naked on a landing, slipped and ended up with a crown topped bottle up his rectum.

LOL
It's probably apocryphal. My wife was a medical photographer and her colleague had to attend ER where a med student had tried to replicate an 'accident' where casualty had been running naked on a landing, slipped and ended up with a crown topped bottle up his rectum.

I work in an ER and it's quite astounding the number of different objects that "accidentally" end up there. Lost and Found! :eek:

Where do I start? It seemed like every night was an adventure in weirdness, and usually ended in sillies. The one that still makes me laugh, though, was a guy who used a brass curtain-ring as a cock-ring; ..... So I bashed it with a mallet, .....

Ohhhhhh. That had to have hurt. Told the guys at work that one and they howled :D

Last edited:
u's are highly overrated. ;)
Youse is overrated, too. But I digress.

I hauled patients in ambulances for odd reasons, sometimes with odd intrusions and extrusions. We tried not to laugh too obviously.

More coconut coffee, ah. More gazing out windows at the deep deep snow, with animal tracks only around forested edges. Wind chill is sub-freezing. We've no *need* to venture out yet but we hope for enough melt to make the medical appointments next week. Oh shit, more snow is falling. Unfair!

We are running out of milk. I'll soothe the next cuppa non-coconut coffee with cheap absinthe. Because I can. Which reminds me of the tale of Henry Fonda visiting J-P Sartre in postwar Paris. Jean-Paul offered Hank a bottle of the Green Fairy, saying, "Absinthe makes the heart grow, Fonda."

[rimshot]

Okay, shoot me now.

I take it you'll have seen this one, then:- http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm

An English war-bow could pull 200lb, as I've read.

Time for a coffee, I think. . . .

I and some friends made some long bows in an HM Dockyard. Mine had a 180 lb pull and was a bugger to draw. Holding it steady to aim was difficult but its penetration with greased steel-tipped arrows was amazing.

We also made some crossbows using old car springs. They were large, had between 350 to 450 lb pull and needed a windlass to crank them. They were lethal at 200 yards.

I take it you'll have seen this one, then:- http://www.coldsiberia.org/monbow.htm

An English war-bow could pull 200lb, as I've read.

Time for a coffee, I think. . . .

Where the English bow was a long bow, the Mongol bow was a full working re-curve type bow. Lighter pull but faster flight and higher impact. Back in the day, I hunted with a 55# full working re-curve bow. Ben Person as I remember. It would kill deer with ease out to 70-80 yards.

Interesting fact. The average range for deer killed in the US, is less than 20 yards.

Last edited:
Interesting fact. The average range for deer killed in the US, is less than 20 yards.
Most of the year, we could just throw nets from a porch to nab the suckers. Range, 2 yards maximum. Then we'd call my ex-celeb-chef son-in-law to cook up a storm. No, the other kind of storm.

EDIT: No, wait, don't do that! Not with zombie deer disease spreading wildly! My brain leaks enough already.

Last edited:
Where the English bow was a long bow, the Mongol bow was a full working re-curve type bow. Lighter pull but faster flight and higher impact. Back in the day, I hunted with a 55# full working re-curve bow. Ben Person as I remember. It would kill deer with ease out to 70-80 yards.

The Medieval English long bow for war could kill through chain mail at 300 yards and penetrate plate armour at 150 yards.

The Medieval English long bow for war could kill through chain mail at 300 yards and penetrate plate armour at 150 yards.

Try riding a stiff legged Mongol pony and shoot that long bow with any accuracy. :D

Afternoon coffee for the needy.

Try riding a stiff legged Mongol pony and shoot that long bow with any accuracy. :D

By "riding" I assume that you mean "on the back of" because you know that there are prohibitions against the other kind of "riding," right? :eek:

Ah, well, the medieval Archer was not issue any kinda horse, let alone a mongol pony.

Any chance of a nice cup of Tea, please ?; It's late.

We're getting within sight of this thread needing yet another replacement at 5,000 posts. Keep up the good work, and the good coffee...

We're getting within sight of this thread needing yet another replacement at 5,000 posts. Keep up the good work, and the good coffee...

Good work and good coffee go hand in hand.

This place has proven time and again that it was worth the effort.

Back