What Are You Listening To Now? 6.0

One or two people here have shown a liking for Chinese songs. This performance by a Kasakh in Mandarin is, I think, extraordinary. Start at the two minute mark if you just want the song and not the history of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXQ58U-Eddg

The reactions are interesting too, the woman crying , fellow competitors in the green room, "how the hell do we follow that!" But most of all, the connection the guy makes with his audience
 
One or two people here have shown a liking for Chinese songs. This performance by a Kasakh in Mandarin is, I think, extraordinary. Start at the two minute mark if you just want the song and not the history of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXQ58U-Eddg

The reactions are interesting too, the woman crying , fellow competitors in the green room, "how the hell do we follow that!" But most of all, the connection the guy makes with his audience

Here's the song "China Nights" with english lyric subtitles. She was quite an interesting lady.
 
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin

Their debut album was released 50 years ago today.
 
Youtube has given me
Paradise By The Dashboard Light this afternoon :)
 
"Bright Moon" from the 1995 movie, "Shanghai Triad"

"Blooming Flowers Full Moon" (the same song) sung bu Zhou Xuan, a well known actress and singer from 1930's Shanghai

Floating clouds scatter, the bright moon lights your way,
We are happy to be together again,
Mandarin ducks in pairs glide on the pond's clear water,
Red lotus flowers bloom on the same green stem.

Together in pairs, with affection and love,
A gentle breeze brushes the flowers,
Tenderness and sweetness fill the world.

"Blue Angel" by Zhang Guangtian, from "Shanghai Triad." Reminiscent to me of those late 1920's / early 1930's Weimar Recpublic nightclub scenes from "Cabaret"

周璇 Zhou Xuan, 阮玲玉 Ruan Lingyu - 夜上海 Ye Shang Hai (Nightlife in Shanghai)

Zhou Xuan - One's Young Life Like a Flower 周璇-花樣的年華 Zhou Xuan was the voice of Old Shanghai. China's 'Golden Voice' was one of the most popular and important actress/singers of the 1930s and 40s. She made more than 40 movies and recorded 200 songs.
 
Last edited:
Faye Wong - Chuánqí (The Legend) - this version has english subtitles, and it's one of her best songs.

She sings in Cantonese, Mandarin and some in English, and she's the biggest selling female Cantopop singer in the world. Her Hong Kong/cantonese songs are more noticeably alternative, while her Mandarin songs a are more lyrical and traditional and this song is one of those. She's a real anomaly in the Chinese music industry and quite unconventional. Here's a few english language covers she's done - she has an amazing voice.

"The Look of Love" - Faye Wong

The Heart Sutra - Faye Wong

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - Faye Wong in concert
 
A whole bunch of Phil Spector.

I finally understand the Wall of Sound.
 
Scandroid - Phoenix

https://youtu.be/sckbQQScgDY

Over the past year and a half, I've turned into a huge Celldweller/Scandroid (same guy) fan. I love cyberpunk, and his music scratches that itch no end. This song is funny insofar that it sounds much more like Celldweller, with that blend of electro and fat guitars than his last Celldweller album :)

Before that, I had Carpenter Brut - Leather Teeth

https://youtu.be/NAjMLFhXSV0

I like synthwave. Much like retro video games, this particular genre does recycle more than it innovates, but since no one of the original artists makes new music like that and I know them by heart anyway, I'll take it. And if it's okay for Greta Van Fleet to dish out Led Zep blowjobs like it's going out of style, then it's more than okay for Carpenter Brut to do their thing. :)
 
Back
Top