Rejected = so what's new?

uksnowy

Really Experienced
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Posts
251
Latest story rejected because in the words of the Mods : -

"Was there an underage (under 18 years old) sexual relationship in my story?"

There is none at all. There a reference to a fourteen year old sister, but no sexual relationship or activity at all. There is a statement by the main 73 year old character "Granny" who mentions she lost her virginity when she was thirteen, but no details.

I have made minute amendments because of that which is ridiculous but I've done it - therefore the question is - How do I re-submit? I have had so many varied instructions on this and all seem to be wrong. I need the correct, definitive way of doing it.

Please.
 
To resubmit a rejected story, you click the "rejected" link if you're using the old control panel.

If you're using the new control panel, you navigate to "Work" and then find the header of "Sent Back". Once there, you select the pencil icon to edit the story.

Make your changes to the text or put a note in the "notes" section saying why you believe the rejection was in error and submit. The story will move from rejected to pending.
 
Also put a comment in the author's notes along the lines of "All characters are (well) over the age of eighteen".
 
It was rejected because you failed to send me money.

(Damn, channeling Jenny Jackson again.)
 
still questions

I have already modified the text, so don't need that pencil icon. I just want to re-submit.

Thanks - I think.
 
Last edited:
Modify the text, type "resubmitted" into the notes field, and wait for pending to turn into approved. That's all I do.
 
In order to resubmit in the most efficient ( and correct ) way, you need to modify the text within the original submission.

When you click on the pencil to edit, it brings up the information for the story. The rejection reason is at the top, and all the original information is below that.

Change the text within the "story text" window. If you changed your local copy, you can always copy it, highlight the previous text in the window and paste to replace it with the new version from your local copy.

Scroll down and preview, then submit. The submission will move from "sent back" to "pending".

I have already modified the text, so don't need that pencil icon. I just want to re-submit.

Thanks - I think.
 
There you go, different suggestions again, so who is confused? Yes me and....
 
Just an additional suggestion to put "resubmitted" in the notes field. In order to do that, you still have to edit the original rejected submission.

There you go, different suggestions again, so who is confused? Yes me and....
 
Snowy, have you given real consideration to seeking a good editor ?
Or even a competent Beta reader ?
I get the impression you'd have fewer problems. . .
 
There you go, different suggestions again, so who is confused? Yes me and....

Well, not to be a jerk, but which of them have you tried yet? It's been, what, a couple days?

If you've just been sitting on your hands, nothing will work.
 
I have thought about editors and approached some but nothing concrete, and to be a jerk as you are aiming to be I do have other things to do.
 
This may be stating the obvious, but there are couple of links you can look at. They will have answers to some of your questions, if you have not seen them yet.

FAQ


Guidelines

You might give these a try. Once you've got it figured out, drop us a link so we can read your story.
 
And Snowy, just believe me when I say "you won't get a better offer than that".
 
When you submit a story, consider citing in the NOTES section where it spells out the ages of the characters. This is not necessary, but it does save some time for those doing the intake and cut down on the chance of false positives.

Example from a story I submitted to the Valentine's Day contest:

"Although the main characters are often referred to as 'boys,' the story notes that one 'Had a boyish look, though she knew him to be at least 20,' and that 'The second young man was younger than the first by a year or two.'"

Then it's very easy for the site owners to do a search of the story, pick out those phrases, and not be in any danger of misinterpreting anything else they see while skimming the rest.

I've put in over 50 stories to the site over the years (which is not a lot compared to some writers, but is a fairly significant sample) and only had a story kicked back over this sort of thing once. Do the lifting ahead of time and you shouldn't have many problems.
 
If the only references to underage are exactly as detailed in the first post, it's an erroneous rejection. As stated, those are within bounds of the rules to the best of my knowledge. A young character nowhere near the sex in any way shape or form isn't a problem. Someone stating they lost their virginity at 13 and only that is exactly the example we use when people ask what is allowed.

A rejection isn't the end-all. Laurel only skims, so mistakes are quite possible. If your story was in bounds, resubmit as originally written with a note pointing out the examples you believe may have triggered an erroneous rejection.
 
Back
Top