Western Trails (closed)

He heard the little miss steps behind him and Sudden, he slowed the pace until the slipping hooves stopped, he kept that pace,

"Give her a bit more reign, that should help as well."

He looked over his shoulder at her and gave her an encouraging smile.
 
“I should warn you, I don’t do well with heights.” Penny called to him as she gave her horse more of the reigns, allowing her more freedom to find her way along the rocky path.

“And I don’t think my horse does either.” She muttered under her breath, keeping up with him and the pace that he set for them.
 
He chuckled,

"Don't worry, I will fix the windmill and put up the water tower myself."

He grinned passed Sudden's flank at her, where the trail widened a bit, he stopped, moved back passed Sudden and took her horse's reigns.

"I'll lead her, you take Sudden OK? He may be a brute at times, but I think he has a crush on you, he'll take good care of you."

He gave her a playful smile and led her horse forward, giving Sudden a loving pat on the neck and a good scratch behind the ear,

"Behave."

He moved further, setting his pace to what her horse chose, he sensed the trepidation and it was strange as he had never had met a horse who seemed to balk at heights.
 
Penny gave him a smile as she passed him the reigns of her horse, taking the ones that he offered that would lead Sudden. “Well, at least I know I’ve won over the horse.” She said as she started to follow after him once again.

Ever so often Sudden would nudge her, his big head pushing against her side. She would turn and look at him, a smile on her lips before she turned back to the path that they were following. Horse lips in her hair made her swat at his nose and the horse seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

“I think Sudden has a playful side.” She called to John as he worked to get her horse along the path.
 
He chuckled,

"He does yes, he only seems to be a tough old beast, he is quite young of spirit."

While leading the horses it took them just before sunset to reach their destination. The top of the rise had some grass, there was of course no water, but John had made certain that there was enough water to give to the horses and for them to use. The view was also something to behold as it gave a great view, one panoramic and also a defensive one.

"Well then, here we are."
 
Once they stopped for the day, Penny was impressed at the view that was afforded them by the high plateau. Allowing Sudden to start grazing, she moved next to John and took his hand, squeezing it as they looked out over the surrounding area.

“It’s beautiful, John.” Penny said, glancing up at him with a smile. “Just don’t get too close to the edge.”
 
He chuckled,

"I will more likely just break the rock with my hard head."

He held her hand, despite the heat of the day, it felt cool and soft in his own hand. He took in the site, his gaze lingering on where their followers should be arriving from if they decided to follow them up the trail they had followed. He turned to her and plucked his hat from her hat and with a cheeky grin placed it on his head.

"I won the race didn't I?"
 
As his hat was pulled from her head, she glanced up at him with a frown and then laughed softly as he teased her about winning the race. She shook her head gave him a playful shove before she leaned in and pressed her lips against him for a kiss. She sighed softly before she pulled away and looked up at him for a long moment.

“I guess you did.” She said before she moved past him towards the horses, ready to start building a campfire.
 
He looked after her and smiled,

"Quite a woman indeed."

He scouted the area and gathered kindling for the fire, carrying it over to a little circle of rocks that would shield the fire from onlookers below their position. He helped Penelope unsaddle the horses and then shook out the bedroll. He settled down on it and tilted the hat to cover his face.

"I'm going to take a little nap, anything strange wake me up."
 
“I’ll wake you for dinner.” She promised, a smile on her lips as she watched him settle down for some sleep.

It was peaceful up there on the ridge. The view was spectacular to say the very least and Penny could enjoy it far away from the edge. Sudden pawed at the ground, nipping at her every time that she walked past until she managed to dig out a handful of grain from one of the saddlebags and give him the little treat to appease him. The horse most definitely had a mind of his own and he could be a brute when he wanted, but he was like putty in her hands.

“Good boy.” She said, petting his nose before she set about putting on some coffee to go with their meal.
 
It was the sound and smell of coffee that woke him more than anything else, he lay there, listening to the sights and sounds around him. All appeared quiet and he opened his eyes to look at Penny as she moved about, he sat up and stretched out, stifling a yawn behind a hand.

"Hmm again it smells divine."
 
Penny looked over her shoulder as she heard John’s voice and she gave him a smile. A cup of coffee was soon in his hands and she turned back to the meal that she’d been making. It had been relatively quiet since he went to sleep. There had been a hazy cloud of dust in the distance, telling her that the posse was still on their way, but everything else around them had been quiet.

“Sleep well?” She asked him, glancing in his direction as he sipped the coffee. “You didn’t get much sleep.”
 
He smiled as he accepted the coffee, he took a sip and got up, making sure to stretch out his back and some kinks in his legs as well,

"Yeah trail life teaches you to do with what you can get, it was enough."

He sipped his coffee, studying the night around them,

"Is it really just his pride that drives Seth to come and get you?"
 
“I long ago stopped trying to figure out how Seth worked.” Penny said in a soft voice, putting some meat on the fire to cook. “I know he doesn’t take kindly to being stolen from. Maybe he thinks that’s what’s happened.”

She glanced up at John as he looked at the night around them. He seemed so serious all of the sudden. She knew that he had to have been thinking of some serious thoughts to grow so glum.

“John, he did terrible things to me. Things that no one should ever have to experience.” She let out a soft sigh and turned her eyes back to the meat sizzling in the pan. “If I ever went to the sheriff, Seth probably would have been hanged. He’s a bad man.”
 
He sipped his coffee,

"Well then, why didn't you? Or was the law also in Seth's pocket? Or were you afraid of what might happen if he came loose?"

He knew that it was not really the right type of conversation to have with her, but there was things that he needed to know before taking action.
 
Penny wondered briefly why John was so interested in why she didn’t turn Seth into the law. She paused what she was doing and looked over at him for a moment as she considered the multiple answers to that question.

“He paid off every lawman in town. He had men watching me wherever I went.” She said with a shrug as if it were no big deal. “He told me if I ran, he’d kill my brother. I didn’t really think I had anywhere to go.”
 
He nodded,

"Thought as much. Well then, if he keeps trying to hunt you down, he will have to pay for all his misdeeds against you."

He tossed out the dregs of the coffee, he crossed over and poured himself another cup of coffee and sat on his haunches next to her.

"How are you holding up?"
 
“I would kill for a soft bed to sleep in, but I’m holding up well.” Penny said, looking at John with a smile. “Maybe when all of this is said and done, I ought to make you treat me to a week at a fancy hotel.”

Laughing softly at the look on his face, she finished flipping the meat in the pan and then dished it up before she added a hunk of crusty bread.
 
"A hotel?"

He smiled and took a sip of his coffee,

"I'm sure they will allow me to book you in, just not very certain if I will be allowed with my rugged looks and..."

He dusted his arm,

"Dirty looks."
 
“Oh, I’m sure that you’d clean up nicely.” Penny said, handing him his plate full of hot food before she took her own and sat down beside him. “Besides, a girl can dream, right?”
 
He chuckled,

"I may clean up well indeed, but if you manage to settle me down, I'll start a ranch. Always had this dream of starting a ranch and leave more behind than dead bodies and well worn guns and a legend of the man who caused enough death to win a war."

He took a bite of the food and sighed,

"You truly are a woman who knows how to make a good meal."
 
“A ranch with a big house?” Penny asks with a smile as he compliments what she had made. “I’ll need a big kitchen to fix all your meals.”

Snuggling up against his side, she sighs and relaxes as she eats her meal along with him. “Maybe a couple of small children running around and getting under foot.”
 
He chuckled,

"As long as it's not under the cattle or horse's feet I'm quite certain that will not be a problem."

He smiled at her as he thought about it, it would make quite and interesting life, much better than drifting about, having nothing but your horse and guns.

"Oh and don't forget a good swimming hole, you know how dogs like to swim when it gets hot."
 
Penny loved the way that he imagined their lives together. It made her smile and a warmth spread through her bones. This was the life that she should have had. John was a good man that would care for her and look after her needs, not use and hurt her when it was convenient.

“That seems like a life that I can truly enjoy.” She grinned as she reached over and touched John’s cheek.

She was about to kiss him when the sound of a horse whinnying sounded close by and she jumped, looking around in the darkness for the unexpected threat.
 
"Keep still, don't look around, it's one horse."

He kept on eating,

"If it was your husband they would have came in shouting and swearing, I think this must be the old shaman who lives up here. Scouts wouldn't have brought horses. Whatever you do, don't look frightened, he respects a strong personality more than anything else."

He placed the plate to the side and swiftly rose, turning his back to the small fire, looking out into the darkness.
 
Back
Top