The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Is coffee on?

Oooh, Wrath of Khan! I have the box set of Star Trek films :D.

Shea, I'm hoping we can be happy and contented and still enjoy writing. Do take the vitamin D. I'm with you on the meds. When I was prescribed them as a young kitten, they did nothing except make me feel like I was miserable in cotton wool instead of just miserable. But whatever works for you.

Gardening is good. Not if you get too caught up in watering twice a day. I like gardening cuz making the flower beds is not essential, so you can feel virtuous if you did anything in them.
:rose:

Hey guys! Is coffee on?

Oooh, Wrath of Khan! I have the box set of Star Trek films :D.

Shea, I'm hoping we can be happy and contented and still enjoy writing. Do take the vitamin D. I'm with you on the meds. When I was prescribed them as a young kitten, they did nothing except make me feel like I was miserable in cotton wool instead of just miserable. But whatever works for you.

Gardening is good. Not if you get too caught up in watering twice a day. I like gardening cuz making the flower beds is not essential, so you can feel virtuous if you did anything in them.

Why am I not surprised you have the Star Trek boxed set? :p

Just one of the lads, indeed.

Could always have one of the psychic readers who thinks he's just a clever fake turn out to have real psychic gifts. But that would be better developed as the story went on.

Yes! That would be a great part of the story.

:rose:[/QUOTE]

I don't know Naoko, aren't all the good writers completely miserable? ;) I am totally not on board with meds, though I will take the vitamin D. Sure, I have my issues to work out, and life-altering decisions to make, but who doesn't? The dr was pushing the anti-anxiety meds because my hair is falling out more than usual, but I also have kind of thin hair, and it's been like that for years, before the current stress in my life. So it's not necessarily due to stress, but just genetics. (both my sister and brother have thick, curly hair from my mom's side, and I've got this fine, straight stuff from my dad. :mad:)

Gardening, sunshine, practicing my guitar, writing, exercising, reading, going to the movies, the hilarity of my kids ... these are my meds. :)

And now that I've completely over-shared, I'm going to try to get some sleep. Have a good night everyone!

Sleep well, Shea! :) That's a very good 'med'.

LOL, Willie. People think I'm joking when I say I'm one of the lads but it really is true. OK, I only drink five pints while watching the rugby - but that's because each one has a whisky on its side. ;)

Sleep well, Shea! :) That's a very good 'med'.

LOL, Willie. People think I'm joking when I say I'm one of the lads but it really is true. OK, I only drink five pints while watching the rugby - but that's because each one has a whisky on its side. ;)

You made me think of something.

My wife and I like to watch a show called Ancient Aliens on the H2. It's interesting stuff, mainly along the lines of 'interesting as a science fiction premise.' Anyway, we came up with a drinking game to go along with the show. Every time the show's narrator says ". . . as Ancient Astronaut theorists believe . . ." everyone has to take a drink.

I've known several hardcore alcoholics in my time; I think every one of them would be dead by the end of any given episode of the show. :p

You made me think of something.

My wife and I like to watch a show called Ancient Aliens on the H2. It's interesting stuff, mainly along the lines of 'interesting as a science fiction premise.' Anyway, we came up with a drinking game to go along with the show. Every time the show's narrator says ". . . as Ancient Astronaut theorists believe . . ." everyone has to take a drink.

I've known several hardcore alcoholics in my time; I think every one of them would be dead by the end of any given episode of the show. :p

See you guys are clearly two of the lads.

Not that I think of 5 pints and whiskies as hard-core, y'unnerstand ;). I know I am a lightweight, but I am one of the lads, LOL.

Not that I think of 5 pints and whiskies as hard-core, y'unnerstand ;). I know I am a lightweight, but I am one of the lads, LOL.

Finally! Somethin I can talk about with authority: " I have been, and always shall be, your friend." <sniff>

Well, plenty of hungry cowboys and cowgirls were fed and watered last night. Was a fun evening, although I was shattered by the time I finally got home... Confeferate flags over North Yorkshire - whoda thunk it...? :D

Finally! Somethin I can talk about with authority: " I have been, and always shall be, your friend." <sniff>

Well, plenty of hungry cowboys and cowgirls were fed and watered last night. Was a fun evening, although I was shattered by the time I finally got home... Confeferate flags over North Yorkshire - whoda thunk it...? :D

Hullo, Steve! <laddish hug> Coffee? Oh dear, that scene always makes me cry and cry.

What fun! feeding the five thousand confederate cowboys and cowgirls, LOL.
:)

5 pints and 5 whiskies would constitute hardcore drinking, regardless of where you are. ;)

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend." Made even more poignant by the inclusion of 'Amazing Grace.'

They could have ended the series there, without going into the PC topics of saving the whales and whatnot. I wish they had. None of the Star Trek movies that followed came close to Wrath of Khan.

Still, I have to admit I do like what they have done with the recent re-imagined series. The new Star Trek: Into Darkness has my attention, though I'm sure I won't see it until it comes out on DVD.

Steve, what the hell are Confederate flags doing fluttering in England?

5 pints and 5 whiskies would constitute hardcore drinking, regardless of where you are. ;)

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend." Made even more poignant by the inclusion of 'Amazing Grace.'

They could have ended the series there, without going into the PC topics of saving the whales and whatnot. I wish they had. None of the Star Trek movies that followed came close to Wrath of Khan.

Still, I have to admit I do like what they have done with the recent re-imagined series. The new Star Trek: Into Darkness has my attention, though I'm sure I won't see it until it comes out on DVD.

Oh gosh, no. I am an absolute piece of fluff compared to some of the former team, I assure you. But a lad! Just about ;).

Our lollipop man does reconstruction American Civil War battles! He is called 'Buck'. (Phil when helping us across the road :).)

Oh gosh, no. I am an absolute piece of fluff compared to some of the former team, I assure you. But a lad! Just about ;).

Our lollipop man does reconstruction American Civil War battles! He is called 'Buck'. (Phil when helping us across the road :).)

American Civil War reenactments . . . in the UK. Even having lived there, I've never heard of such a thing.

Tell me, in these reenactments, does the losing side come crying home to mama (as in, the UK?) :p

Heh. Every year a country & western caravan club take over the rugby club for a weekend of line dancing and whiskey-sippin'. We're fundraising for my eldest son's team to go on tour to Canada next year, so for the past couple of years the parents have catered for the revellers, breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Last night was the first night, and it was fun. The high spots were finding a couple of cowboys who used to live in the next street to me in Newcastle, and one fella dressed in red flannel BVDs and a duster (and stetson, natch...) Who spent the evening slapping his thigh and firing his Colt at the end of every song...

I'm doing the Sunday breakfast slot as well, which I expect to be much quieter and... hung-over... :D

Heh. Every year a country & western caravan club take over the rugby club for a weekend of line dancing and whiskey-sippin'. We're fundraising for my eldest son's team to go on tour to Canada next year, so for the past couple of years the parents have catered for the revellers, breakfast, lunch and evening meal. Last night was the first night, and it was fun. The high spots were finding a couple of cowboys who used to live in the next street to me in Newcastle, and one fella dressed in red flannel BVDs and a duster (and stetson, natch...) Who spent the evening slapping his thigh and firing his Colt at the end of every song...

I'm doing the Sunday breakfast slot as well, which I expect to be much quieter and... hung-over... :D

Reminds me of the square dance jamborees my father would drag us to across Europe in the 80s. There was always an abundance of stereotypical tripe at such things. It always amazed me how the European -- and later, the UK -- image of the USA seemed centered around the cowboy image.

When I moved to London in 2001, to be with my first wife, I was generally introduced as "a Texan." Everyone wanted to know how many horses I had on my ranch and why I didn't wear cowboy boots and where was my accent. It was hard to tear them away from their delusions.

Reminds me of the square dance jamborees my father would drag us to across Europe in the 80s. There was always an abundance of stereotypical tripe at such things. It always amazed me how the European -- and later, the UK -- image of the USA seemed centered around the cowboy image.

When I moved to London in 2001, to be with my first wife, I was generally introduced as "a Texan." Everyone wanted to know how many horses I had on my ranch and why I didn't wear cowboy boots and where was my accent. It was hard to tear them away from their delusions.

Hey. We raised over £600 last year. That buys them all the delusions they like in my book... :D

Hey. We raised over £600 last year. That buys them all the delusions they like in my book... :D

Our local re-enactment people can get themselves confused.

Last year they had a 'Living History' day at which many of the groups put on displays but the Grand Finale was epic.

In the Finale the Vikings fought the Romans, the Cavaliers fought the Confederates, the Cromwellians fought Napoleon, the Square Dancers tried Morris Dancing, the Morris Dancers demonstrated the Viennese Waltz, the Dickensians argued with the Janeites (Jane Austen fans), and they all got agreeably drunk...

Our local re-enactment people can get themselves confused.

Last year they had a 'Living History' day at which many of the groups put on displays but the Grand Finale was epic.

In the Finale the Vikings fought the Romans, the Cavaliers fought the Confederates, the Cromwellians fought Napoleon, the Square Dancers tried Morris Dancing, the Morris Dancers demonstrated the Viennese Waltz, the Dickensians argued with the Janeites (Jane Austen fans), and they all got agreeably drunk...

I think people got agreeably drunk at most points in history so it's very important to get that bit right. LOL.

I think people got agreeably drunk at most points in history so it's very important to get that bit right. LOL.

Absolutely. I was quite pleased that everyone last night was agreeably drunk, given the number of .45s in evidence... :eek:

I fear you must blame an entire generation of Hollywood movies, particularly old Westerns. I was, for a while, very affected by Daisy Duke. . . . .

If that had happened more often in the past, even round a conference table, there might have been fewer wars.

I've been doing the Gym again (groan). But this time more resistance and a short time. It seems to be working. You could light a fire on some of my muscles. :)

I fear you must blame an entire generation of Hollywood movies, particularly old Westerns. I was, for a while, very affected by Daisy Duke. . . . .

If that had happened more often in the past, even round a conference table, there might have been fewer wars.

I've been doing the Gym again (groan). But this time more resistance and a short time. It seems to be working. You could light a fire on some of my muscles. :)

Yeah, I think Daisy had that effect on a lot of men, HP... ;)

US misconceptions about us Limeys abound, too. Given that only around 30% of our colonial brethren own a passport (and that's almost doubled since 2007, when they had to get one to travel to Canada and Mexico), I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Dick Van Dyke has a lot to answer for... :rolleyes:

And you're an inspiration to us all, fella. Keep up the good work, and keep She Who Must Be Obeyed off your back... ;)

As were we all . . . *sigh*

I dunno. Drinking around a conference table probably lead to a few wars here and there.

Yeah, I think Daisy had that effect on a lot of men, HP... ;)

US misconceptions about us Limeys abound, too. Given that only around 30% of our colonial brethren own a passport (and that's almost doubled since 2007, when they had to get one to travel to Canada and Mexico), I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

Dick Van Dyke has a lot to answer for... :rolleyes:

Agreed. People must have thought every Brit was a bad Cockney.

Maybe because I grew up in Europe and traveled a lot as a kid, but I never suffered from any of those stereotypes.

Except the French ones. :p

Wow, what beautiful pussies, John! ;)

Well, the day goeth along, guys. I think someone should set up the It's Almost The Weekend beers. I have to wait to hit the bottle in a serious way, as I have to teach tomorrow (and still got to write something to teach from, LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back