Movies!

I heard about a movie and found a copy to watch. it's not the kind of movie most people would enjoy as it is composed almost entirely of dialogue. To explain, it is mostly a dialogue of intellectual argument between the main character and his close friends for the past 10 years, when he reveals that he is a 14,000 years old (cro-magnon) man.

That is not a "spoiler" as that is revealed close to the beginning.

This movie was a final screenplay written by Jerome Bixby, who also wrote "Requiem for Methuselah", a Star Trek episode from the original series which involved the very same concept.

It might be pointed out that this is a movie that should not be watched by someone with strong religious convictions.

I found the movie interesting because it involved giving a point of view regarding what everyone knows about the "facts" of history.

This has been a regular Easter movie with my friends for 5 years now. I don't care for it that much, but you gotta have traditions. :)

Watching Rizzoli and Ilse this week with my (if it doesn't at least have gay subtext I won't watch it) girl.

:)

Watched Divergent recently it was m'kay for me. The book of course was way better.

Watched Divergent recently it was m'kay for me. The book of course was way better.

I haven't read the book, but I was positively surprised by the movie. It was pretty straightforward, but entertaining nevertheless. :)

I just watched Coherence today. It's a scifi movie about a group of friends who get together for a dinner on the evening when a comet passes the earth close by and causes a blackout. Basically it deals with parallel realities.

I liked it a lot!

That sounds really good! I'm going to look for it.

:rose:

I haven't read the book, but I was positively surprised by the movie. It was pretty straightforward, but entertaining nevertheless. :)

I just watched Coherence today. It's a scifi movie about a group of friends who get together for a dinner on the evening when a comet passes the earth close by and causes a blackout. Basically it deals with parallel realities.

I liked it a lot!

Tonight's movie was Begin Again, a movie about a failing record label executive and a struggling musician. It wasn't one of those larger than life movies, but it's been a while since I've watched such such a feel good movie and it made me want to play a lot more music than I do now. Made me even want to pick up the guitar and bass again and play music that's made after the 18th century. :D

Sounds good!

Tonight's movie was Begin Again, a movie about a failing record label executive and a struggling musician. It wasn't one of those larger than life movies, but it's been a while since I've watched such such a feel good movie and it made me want to play a lot more music than I do now. Made me even want to pick up the guitar and bass again and play music that's made after the 18th century. :D

What was Shame about?

Just finished watching Shame. Interesting movie but think it could have had a happier ending!

Most recently: MASH, by Robert Altman. I hadn't seen it in a couple of decades, probably, and yet much of the movie seemed fresh and relevant. Which is a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

Wild bit of MASH trivia: there's a scene showing the night sky with the moon and over the PA we hear the song "Fly Me to the Moon." According to IMDB, the astronauts of Apollo 11 were actually on the moon when that scene was shot - in the summer of 1969.

Kewl about the astronauts.

It is a sad state of affairs for sure.

Most recently: MASH, by Robert Altman. I hadn't seen it in a couple of decades, probably, and yet much of the movie seemed fresh and relevant. Which is a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

Wild bit of MASH trivia: there's a scene showing the night sky with the moon and over the PA we hear the song "Fly Me to the Moon." According to IMDB, the astronauts of Apollo 11 were actually on the moon when that scene was shot - in the summer of 1969.

I watched Chef. It was another happy feelgood movie and food was a major theme, so what's not to like. It was a little bit long, perhaps, but I felt thoroughly entertained the whole time. :)

Watched the newest Riddick movie last night. I bough the box set of the 3 movies along with an added 30 minute cartoon.

Hate to say it but it was what it was. Good for Riddick movie and SyFy. If you liked any of the other movies than this one will be good. More violent I thought with more swearing and death.

Sounds great to me!

:)

I watched Chef. It was another happy feelgood movie and food was a major theme, so what's not to like. It was a little bit long, perhaps, but I felt thoroughly entertained the whole time. :)

I've not watched those, they are action movies I guess?

Watched the newest Riddick movie last night. I bough the box set of the 3 movies along with an added 30 minute cartoon.

Hate to say it but it was what it was. Good for Riddick movie and SyFy. If you liked any of the other movies than this one will be good. More violent I thought with more swearing and death.

I watched a Danish movie by the director Thomas Vinterberg called The Hunt. It's a movie about a divorced man, who has lost his job as a teacher when the school was closed and now works in a kindergarten. He's still dealing with his divorce and the fact that he can't see his teenage son as often as he and the son would like to. Then his best friend's daughter tells in kindergarten that he's molested her and his life starts to spin out of control.

It was such a good movie and it'll no doubt stay in my mind for a long, long time. It was very heavy, though, so realistic and grim, even irritating. It made me want to scream at the characters, tell them to take a moment and think things through. But that's probably how people react when accusations of child molestation come to play - irrationally.

Definitely not a movie to watch, if you're looking for light entertainment, but otherwise I can't recommend this one enough. It's hard and heavy, it doesn't let the viewer off easy, but it's incredibly good, coherent, thought out from start to finish. My head's still spinning from the emotions. Easily one of the best movies I've watched this year.

This sounds like the stuff of nightmares for me. Generally I watch movies for fun escapism.

Glad you enjoyed it though.

I watched a Danish movie by the director Thomas Vinterberg called The Hunt. It's a movie about a divorced man, who has lost his job as a teacher when the school was closed and now works in a kindergarten. He's still dealing with his divorce and the fact that he can't see his teenage son as often as he and the son would like to. Then his best friend's daughter tells in kindergarten that he's molested her and his life starts to spin out of control.

It was such a good movie and it'll no doubt stay in my mind for a long, long time. It was very heavy, though, so realistic and grim, even irritating. It made me want to scream at the characters, tell them to take a moment and think things through. But that's probably how people react when accusations of child molestation come to play - irrationally.

Definitely not a movie to watch, if you're looking for light entertainment, but otherwise I can't recommend this one enough. It's hard and heavy, it doesn't let the viewer off easy, but it's incredibly good, coherent, thought out from start to finish. My head's still spinning from the emotions. Easily one of the best movies I've watched this year.

This sounds like the stuff of nightmares for me. Generally I watch movies for fun escapism.

Glad you enjoyed it though.

I usually like my movies pretty light, too, but I watch some heavier ones from time to time. They often give me a lot of food for thought. :)

Maybe someday I'll get to that point.

I will be seeing Gone Girl soon. Not sure I want to.

I usually like my movies pretty light, too, but I watch some heavier ones from time to time. They often give me a lot of food for thought. :)

Speaking of escapism, I just finished a Mark Wahlberg shoot-em-up called, ironically, Shooter. Apparently Danny Glover really was too old for this shit. I don't usually go for this kind of fare but it was on cable last night and I caught part of Act 1 before settling down for the night. Finished it via the Netflix machine today. I rather liked his character and Kate Mara is definitely a lovely young woman.

I like a good action movie sometimes. My fav shoot em up was, Shoot 'Em Up (2007) with, Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Bellucci

Storyline (found at IMDB)

Late at night, in an unnamed U.S. city, a solitary man sits at a bus stop. A pregnant woman runs by, pursued by a man with a gun. With reluctance, the man at the bus stop rescues her and assists with the baby's delivery, while additional pursuers fire at them, including the gang's particularly nasty leader, an intuitive man named Hertz.

Our hero, known only as Smith, determines to save the child and find out why Hertz wants the baby dead. At a local bordello, he tries to employ a lactating hooker to watch the child, but things quickly escalate, and this makeshift family is soon on the run.

Heavy metal music calms the baby. Why? A laboratory, gun factory, and presidential campaign all figure in Smith's quest for the child's safe deliverance. Written by <jhailey@hotmail.com>

Speaking of escapism, I just finished a Mark Wahlberg shoot-em-up called, ironically, Shooter. Apparently Danny Glover really was too old for this shit. I don't usually go for this kind of fare but it was on cable last night and I caught part of Act 1 before settling down for the night. Finished it via the Netflix machine today. I rather liked his character and Kate Mara is definitely a lovely young woman.

This Must Be the Place is a very strange film but it does have some good quotes. Back later.

:rose:

Not a movie but a TV show.

Australian Please Like Me has been the funniest and also most awkward thing I've watched in a long time. I've watched both seasons, and the second is even more hilarious than the first one.

It's about a group of friends in their 20s. The main character, Josh, is completely annoying and self absorbed, but frank and funny. The humor is dark and sarcastic, cringe-worthy at times, but it also deals with more serious things like mental health.

Back