Writing Goal for the Day?

I'm looking to make it to what should be about the halfway point of my next chapter of SOTM -- about another 2500 words more than the 1500 I've written so far today.

I'm looking to make it to what should be about the halfway point of my next chapter of SOTM -- about another 2500 words more than the 1500 I've written so far today.

How many chapters you got planned on SOTM? I'm one of those jerks that waits for it to be done or very close to it, to start reading.

How many chapters you got planned on SOTM? I'm one of those jerks that waits for it to be done or very close to it, to start reading.

It's fluid, because sometimes a scene will run far longer than I originally anticipated when I actually write it, and sometimes it will wrap up far faster. The original guess was 30 chapters ( of around 10k word chapters as opposed to 20k chapters for Danica ) but I haven't the foggiest clue, really.

I expected To Catch a Merchant Princess to be four chapters, and it ended up being six. I expected Lowborn to be 6 chapters, and I'm working on wrapping it up with chapter 8.

If that kind of pattern holds, SOTM will probably be 40 chapters :p

And it's only Book II of III.

The biggest problem with this one is I originally planned for it to have a hard ending, and I have too large of a cast to do that. It's going to be more of an Empire Strikes back type ending, where the sequel is far more inevitable than the ending of Danica.

Wasn't what I wanted, but that's the way it's working out.

Last edited:
JD! Good to see you at least posting again! Yeah those damn day jobs can be killers. WE should all ditch them and hang out here for the day.

Ha. That would be nice.

I'm just living on dreams of Thanksgiving break right now. :)

Sigh. Not quite the way I would envision you and PL rubbing off on me, but I guess I'll take it.;)

I don;t see anything odd about wanting to be sandwiched between two women who write erotica, but hey if you think so...

Given the . . . assets Syd has in her av, I don't think you need two women to make a lovecraft-romance writer sandwich.

It's fluid, because sometimes a scene will run far longer than I originally anticipated when I actually write it, and sometimes it will wrap up far faster. The original guess was 30 chapters ( of around 10k word chapters as opposed to 20k chapters for Danica ) but I haven't the foggiest clue, really.

I expected To Catch a Merchant Princess to be four chapters, and it ended up being six. I expected Lowborn to be 6 chapters, and I'm working on wrapping it up with chapter 8.

If that kind of pattern holds, SOTM will probably be 40 chapters :p

And it's only Book II of III.

The biggest problem with this one is I originally planned for it to have a hard ending, and I have too large of a cast to do that. It's going to be more of an Empire Strikes back type ending, where the sequel is far more inevitable than the ending of Danica.

Wasn't what I wanted, but that's the way it's working out.

30 and two of three? Damn.

SWB was originally going to be 25 and the 5 part Lex Talionis spin off.

End of the day the series proper went 39 chapters. Then a 5 part finale to tie up loose ends and show how they finally end up. I also did a "beginning" prologue and Samhain, a oneshot with the sibs in an all out orgy.

all told 51 parts and 246 lit pages. My conservative guess would be three to four decent length paperbacks.

I did it start to finish in 17 months around work/family and a few other stories so not too bad. It was really involved and now I'm looking forward to "quick and dirty"

Spent the evening making notes of all the wacky stuff I heard or saw working as a therapist. Others I read in the paper or heard about. Two weeks ago a local therapist shot her client during a session at her office. The cops charged her with insurance fraud and let the shooting go. Turns out she was sleeping with the patient and posting his bail when he was arrested for DUI etc. Great stuff. Gonna use it for some of my supporting characters.

One of the characters is a teen in foster care. He beat up his foster mom after he spent all of his allowance and she refused to give him more money. The kid goes to court where his therapist testifies about his progress and mental stability. She's sleeping with him, and the judge would like to. So both women hammer the foster mother for provoking the kid. Much later the judge comes to in her jacuzzi and sees the kid cuffed and drowned.

You must have bunches and bunches of notes, JBJ, especially considering there's no evidence you actually write anything from them.

With luck, I'll get a chapter written today--but it will have to be after a whole lot of other stuff gets done.

You must have bunches and bunches of notes, JBJ, especially considering there's no evidence you actually write anything from them.

I used to have 1000s of pages of notes. One of my projects is something I call NIGHT DOCTORS. Back around 1890 or so medical students needed cadavers for anatomy, and as cadavers were scarce, and grave robbing was difficult, entrepreneurs snatched black people off the streets at night and sold the bodies to medical schools.

I write lotsa stories about the late 1890s. One is a detailed tale about a teen who gets hanged. Another involves a black rapist burned alive in a barrel of kerosene. Yet another involves a girl named Stella who loses her arm to gangrene from a snake bite, the story is about her psychosis and the amputation.

The end of my new tale popped into mind this afternoon. I like it. Readers wont expect it.

The end of my new tale popped into mind this afternoon. I like it. Readers wont expect it.

Readers won't expect to ever see it either, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Why do you continue to pretend that you're a writer? Do you feel the need to "fit in" here so badly?

I thought she was quoting Pirates of the Caribbean, but perhaps not. ;)

I'm sure you're right. I have mentioned I have not watched television i 4 years right? Well I've only seen one movie in the last 6 years and that was Watchmen, because as a die hard Alan Moore Disciple I couldn't help it.

So I am very out of touch.

Wrapping up my latest Mother/son. I'm writing the final sex scene and in order for myself not to take it too seriously I always toss in some kind of twisted joke.

In this one, the son starts to grab his mother's hair while she is going down on him, but hesitates.

She then tells him

"Go ahead honey, you can hold my hair, but just don't pull it. After all, I am your mother."

You know I write this stuff because it doesn't bother me, and people really seem to like it. But I still wonder why the hell Mother/son is such a big draw.

But hey it's landed Alwayswanted too on like 2400 favorites pages.

I'm sure you're right. I have mentioned I have not watched television i 4 years right? Well I've only seen one movie in the last 6 years and that was Watchmen, because as a die hard Alan Moore Disciple I couldn't help it.

So I am very out of touch.

Too bad you couldn't have seen a better movie. ;) I saw it too, having read the book years ago, and then re-read it before the movie. It was perhaps too faithful to the source.

Been working on a cover for one story... managed a little more on the hockey story... but it's Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead tonight. Now that'd be a fun crossover.

Too bad you couldn't have seen a better movie. ;) I saw it too, having read the book years ago, and then re-read it before the movie. It was perhaps too faithful to the source.

Been working on a cover for one story... managed a little more on the hockey story... but it's Boardwalk Empire and Walking Dead tonight. Now that'd be a fun crossover.

You're right, it was too exact to the book, except for the ending, they decided against the giant squid.

Problem was the movie came 20 years too late. Back when it was released Watchmen set the comic world on its ear. Now years later it is tame.

I will say this. The Comedian was done to perfection and Rorshach was as sick and bad ass in the movie as he was in book. But in general a letdown. I aslo took my daughters so was not happy with the blue penis, and the sex scene in the ship. It was like alright already! Put some pants on that guy!

You're right, it was too exact to the book, except for the ending, they decided against the giant squid.

Good thing. Squids have bad enough PR as it is in some circles.

Problem was the movie came 20 years too late. Back when it was released Watchmen set the comic world on its ear. Now years later it is tame.

But I don't think it had to be tame. I mean, it was an alternate history period piece, and the history is pretty recent, so it could have been pretty cool.

I will say this. The Comedian was done to perfection and Rorshach was as sick and bad ass in the movie as he was in book. But in general a letdown. I aslo took my daughters so was not happy with the blue penis, and the sex scene in the ship. It was like alright already! Put some pants on that guy!

Hahaha. You're such a prude. Hehehehe.

But yeah, I walked out feeling like I'd been just short of bored for quite a while. Not as bored as when I saw The English Patient, but bored all the same. Parts were good, as you note, but overall -- bleah. Give me Iron Man any day.

Back