Writing Goal for the Day?

Made some notes for the hockey story at the library today, so I'm hoping I get a jump start there. Otherwise... just kind of unwinding on a Friday night...

So now I have a story to edit for publication, one to finish and ideas for like three more. Bad enough I have a tough time finding time to write and now I have prioritize?!?!?

*peeks in, brushes a tiny layer of dust off*

Anyone here?

My husband kidnapped my computer to do what he said were necessary upgrades. I have my doubts that they were really that necessary . . . but in any event, I hope to do more work on one of two stories I'm hoping to finish by November.

Oh, and I also hope to eat another butternut squash scone. Quite a goal, that. :)

Anyone else? It's kinda slow around the AH in general. Where is everyone?

*peeks in, brushes a tiny layer of dust off*

Anyone here?

My husband kidnapped my computer to do what he said were necessary upgrades. I have my doubts that they were really that necessary . . . but in any event, I hope to do more work on one of two stories I'm hoping to finish by November.

Oh, and I also hope to eat another butternut squash scone. Quite a goal, that. :)

Anyone else? It's kinda slow around the AH in general. Where is everyone?

I'm here. I have plenty to work on but apparently I must procrastinate. I will relocate and see if the change in scenery helps.

I'm here also, because any excuse not to write is a good excuse. I'm copy editing the latest DG Hear, MFG, story, and Serenissima Syd has sent me the conclusion to "How to Save a Life". I haven't even looked at it, because I don't want the story to end, but I have got to get with the program. And reading really good writers makes me even more acutely aware of my own failings. That said, I guess I have to buckle down and give in to whatever makes me write. If only I knew what that was.

Now that I've snatched my computer back, more work on the existing stories. Sigh.

And reading really good writers makes me even more acutely aware of my own failings.

I know what you mean. I had to stop reading all romance authors for a short while when I started writing romance here, and I didn't resume reading the ones I considered really good for what seemed like a long, long time after I started posting.

Not sure if this will make sense, but I now can't read really good authors in the other genres I'm either considering writing in or have started writing in. Part of it is the demoralization issue (eek! I'll never be as good as X, why even try?), but I also don't want to try and imitate someone else before I find my style.

So yeah, you have my sympathy.

Finished edits on Numbers Game and sent it to the editor/publisher. Now... to continue revisions on Make a Wish? To continue writing the next hockey story? To make notes on story ideas?

No... first work files. Sigh.

Managed to force out the first chapter of my next published mainstream mystery. Really a difficult one to get into--and waiting for the author review of a mainstream publisher nonfiction manuscript, due back to me no later than Thursday for cleanup.

That said, I guess I have to buckle down and give in to whatever makes me write. If only I knew what that was.

Someone here stated the reason brilliantly. "I write because it hurts not to." Who said that? Who? Who? You! At least you summed it up for me.

And I think we all are our own worst critics. I read someone else who tells a story well, and all I do is wonder, How did he/she do that? Why can't I do that? Still much to learn, which is another reason to press on.

Last edited:
Just as I suspect. Now that I've gotten into the full swing of writing a pen name mainstream mystery, a mainstream publisher's author review of an edit has dropped for me to clean up. With my luck my own pending mainstream mystery that's out for edit will also drop in my lap for my own author review.

My goal is to finish revising my story. It's my very first erotica, and I am extremely proud of it. I am just unsure of the feedback I may get. I would hate submitting it, only to read it over and find that I could have worded this or that in a better way.

I've sent in a request for a volunteer editor to mow it over, but I ought to be patient about it. I am sure she has many items to review.

My goal is to finish revising my story. It's my very first erotica, and I am extremely proud of it. I am just unsure of the feedback I may get. I would hate submitting it, only to read it over and find that I could have worded this or that in a better way.

I've sent in a request for a volunteer editor to mow it over, but I ought to be patient about it. I am sure she has many items to review.

If you went to a profile on the VE list, you may want to give it a day or two and then go to the monthly sticky and find a different editor. Although people keep joining the VE list, it's hugely long and full of defunct profiles.

I keep trying to prioritize my writing needs/goals right now. A) Revise Make a Wish. B) Finish (and possibly start posting) the next hockey story. C) Write one of three story ideas I have, including a Christmas one, all inspired by songs.

And all of which will be complicated by the upcoming weekend -- parents coming on Friday night after a wedding. Going to 'rents on Saturday b/c Sat night = Duran Duran concert in Atlantic City. Sunday: recovery and come home. Monday = Halloween. Tuesday = school closed, parent-teacher conference.

Aaaaaggghhh!

Perhaps I can get some writing done in the car on the trips to/from my parents...

If you went to a profile on the VE list, you may want to give it a day or two and then go to the monthly sticky and find a different editor. Although people keep joining the VE list, it's hugely long and full of defunct profiles.

Thank you, kindly.

I hope you get what you want done, done~

Took the kids to a Halloween party at the library. I had the cutest ladybug and zombie in the place. ;)

Writing has just been impossible lately, although the headache that hit yesterday around lunchtime seems to have finally gone away. Gah. So I'm re-reading part of my hockey story to get back in the mood to write it... I decided I need to focus on that, and if I need a break, work on revising Make a Wish. Whew.

Doesn't look like there will be any writing for me tonight. I have cleanup to do on a mainstream edit and I've just left an exciting UVa-Miami football game (the good guys won) and have the World Series baseball game to finish off.

Lots of rl writing to try and meet a call for papers deadline. Sigh. I wrote a few paragraphs on a holiday story yesterday, and that's probably all I can shoot for today, too.

On the plus side, the kid only cried when I dropped her off at day care. No screaming and sobbing. I'll take progress where I can get it.

Took the kids to a Halloween party at the library. I had the cutest ladybug and zombie in the place. ;)

Writing has just been impossible lately, although the headache that hit yesterday around lunchtime seems to have finally gone away. Gah. So I'm re-reading part of my hockey story to get back in the mood to write it... I decided I need to focus on that, and if I need a break, work on revising Make a Wish. Whew.

I like the ladybug/zombie combo. I think this is the last year we can get away with doing nothing for Halloween....

Yay, hockey story!

Doesn't look like there will be any writing for me tonight. I have cleanup to do on a mainstream edit and I've just left an exciting UVa-Miami football game (the good guys won) and have the World Series baseball game to finish off.

and Christmas cards to finish up? ;)

and Christmas cards to finish up? ;)

Christmas cards are done, thanks. I blotted out everything else last weekend and finished them then.

I sorely want to get another chapter written on a mainstream mystery today--but have some more cleanup to do on a mainstream edit too. Nothing going on in sports or TV programs to distract me, though.

to be done by 20th Nov

Want to publish real love letters

so deleting some lines that may embarrass my ex in case he read

remove unnecessary parts that may bore reader readers

The last and mammoth task, to find patient editor who can deal with and tolerate my English :eek::eek::eek:

Hi everyone :)

Posting goals helps me stick to them. I've always been horrible about writing. I'll get an idea in my head, love it, start it, get really into it, and then put it down and forget about it. I'm having that trouble with my novel. Forcing myself to finish the story for the Halloween contest is one of the first times (other than school papers) I've managed to do that....so I thought maybe I'd try posting goals here and see what happens :)

Five hundred words on my novel and five hundred on my holiday story. At 500 words a day I should get the holiday story finished long before the start date...I hope. Of course the word count is just measurable goal. I'm all for quality over quantity.

Actually got some writing on the hockey story done on the ride to NJ. More than I'd hoped. Maybe I'll get some more done on the way home tomorrow... not sure about this afternoon. Hard to write when visiting the parents.

I managed to bang out a mainstream mystery novella chapter yesterday despite the demands of a mainstream edit cleanup. I hope to be able to do as much today.

Back