Kelsey and the Kraken (closed for Silvertongue217)

The Kraken's words were not a surprise. She had brought in many people who had the same opinion. Everything was better than being taken to the Tower, everything except stopping the atrocities they were committing of course.

Once more he brought up the Queen. Told her to ask what happened to pirate prisoners. She knew though, she had seen the head on the spikes. She hadn't needed to see what happened to their bodies to know it had been hideous.

The Kraken walked out before she could say any more. He was using the power he had over her to end a conversation. It was easier than actually reflecting on his behaviour. He was right about everyone having a beastly side, and she had a feeling that him walking out on her was not even the start of his.

Though Kelsey had expected nothing less.

Kelsey got up and walked around the cabin, taking in the details that she couldn't see the night before. She flicked through some of his books, scrutinised the maps and memorised the points marked on it. There were some interesting marking there, and she knew that when she got a decent opportunity she would need to go through some of the scrolls and parchment packets in order to see if she could figure out what the connection was.

But she soon got good. As lovely as the view was out of his cabin window, watching the see trailing behind them into the horizon, she needed more. So she walked towards the door and let herself out.

It was late in the afternoon now, and the deck was still abuzz with activity. Curious eyes followed her as she made her way over to the door that led below deck. No one came up to her or stopped her until she cleared the stairs and stepped onto the brig landing.

"What are yeh doing here?" A gruff fellow asked. He had an eye patch and crossed his arms over his chest. Kelsey saw the muscled beneath his salt-water worn shirt rippling beneath the fabric. If anyone on this ship was to be a jailor she'd pick him.

"Captain Bennet!" One of the men called, another followed suit and soon she had several voices clamouring for her attention.

The jailor looked at her, overgrown eyebrows raising.

"Cap'n didn't say you were allowed down here. Turn around lass, up the stairs with yeh," He said, nodding towards the door.

"He didn't say I wasn't allowed down here," She said with a shrug, stepping aside and looking past the monolith of a man.

"Where have you been?" Captain Fitzkirk said, getting up from somewhere in the cells and walking over to the bars.

"Turns out that Des Meurtes doesn't trust me in there with you, he's worried I'll take advantage of you all," She said with a shrug. Patch-eye put an arm out, stopping her from taking a further step.

Some of the men scoffed at her words, but others gave her more suspicious looks.

"Has he been feeding you?" She asked. That drew even more amused laughs.

"Our bellies are full, but I don't know if I would call it food," one of the sailors called out.

Full bellies was more than most pirate prisoners could hope for.

"Well lads, you're lucky. I managed to negotiate a release with the Captain- looks like we will all be getting a free holiday. Marooned on the coast line. How does that sound?"

"All right Lass, that's enough-" Patch-eye said, gripping her upper arm and frog marching her up the stairs.

Behind her, Kelsey heard Fitzkirk's voice; "What terms did you offer him?"

And that was the winning question. What terms indeed. She had given the captain nothing. Notorious pirate king, Angele Dese Meurtes, the Captain of the Raven, the great Kraken. He had given his word that he would set her and the crew safely on shore, a workable distance from civilisation. He hadn't asked her for anything in return, nor had she offered anything.

Though Kelsey didn't have much time to dwell on it as Patch-eye dragged her up the stairs, across the deck and all the way to the helm where the Kraken was controlling his ship.

"This one was trying to get into the brig, cap'n," Patch-eye said, letting go of her arm and presenting her to the captain.

"Not often we get a person trying to get into the brig," Mr. Clean mumbled under his breath. Kelsey gave them both a winning grin.
 
Angel rose an eyebrow watching as Bates brought the lass over to him. He sighed and turned nodding at his Helmsmen to take over the ship.

"Bates" Angel said folding his arms "its her bloody people! Of course she is allowed to go see them!"

"But cap'n You didnt say-"

"I got you lot together and told you where she was not allowed to go right? Was the brig any where in that?"

"No but-"

"But nothing next time think and use that brain of yours" Angel said dismissing him before shaking his head and turning to her "Well lass your free to visit them at any time under the watchful eye of a guard of course" Angel told her moving down the staircase and motioning for her to follow him.

"I trust you have toured our ship?" He remarked turning his head to her "what do you think does the Raven live up to its name?"
 
Kelsey had expected the Kraken to be angry, to confine her to his quarters at least. Instead he had told off his pirate and offered her a guided tour of the ship.

To say she was confused was an understatement.

But she nodded, accepting the offer of a tour and taking in all of the details that she may need in the future.

"She's a beauty, that's for sure," Kel said, her eyes turning from the ship to the captain. "But there is something I want to know Dese Meurtes... What do you want in return? For keeping me and the crew alive? For stranding us on a beach on our coast rather than a death sentence on an uninhabited island?"
 
Angel paused turning to her and raising one eyebrow "What do I want?"

He laughed shaking his head "I dont want any thing but to see you proven wrong" He stated simply "you believe me to be a killer but I am not one and so I seek to prove you wrong"

"Pirates we live by a code believe it or not" Angel explained leaning against the railing "we tend to not want people to get the wrong idea about us im content to take proving you wrong as payment for you and your soldiers"
 
To see her proven wrong? Kelsey thought that his payment might just be the most impossible thing she had ever been asked for. A head start, immunity, less time in the Tower, a kinder sentence... Those were all things she could at least make a vow to bargain for. This, on the other hand? Give her word that she will see him in a different light?

"I've heard much about the pirate code," Kelsey said, "And I've also seen how it is changed and adapted by each pirate to suit his own needs. So honorable as you claim your intentions are, please forgive me if I have a hard time being convinced of them. As for proving me wrong, you are welcome to try. I can't promise that I will change my mind. But proving me wrong does not change my orders. It is the Queen that we will need to convince." Kelsey looked up at the pirate, the handsome and much younger than expected pirate, she frowned. This was much more complicated than she had ever expected.
 
"I have no intention of being captured by the Queen or you Lass" Angel said shaking his head "I expect to prove you wrong and then be on my way and I frankly do not give a damn if your orders say different" He reminded her leaning in until their lips were inches apart and their eyes were locked.

"Though I do so love the fire in you lass" He said with a sly wink "Suppose I cant make a turn coat out of you can I? You would make a mighty fine pirate Lass certainly one I wouldnt mind... working with"
 
The Kraken's words made her roll her eyes. Her, a turncoat? Perhaps it was a good thing that he didn't know just how devoted she was to her job. Once again he said that he wouldn't be taken alive, but her orders hadn't stated whether he had to be returned dead or alive.

Then, strangely, Kelsey felt a tendril of guilt wrapping around her heart at the idea of letting him die. He had been kind to her thus far, more respectful than most of the Queen's men if she were honest with herself. But thinking like that was dangerous, she pushed down her thoughts and hardened herself to them. She pulled up memories of all of the destruction he had wrought and focused on that instead. She had met men like him before. They spoke well, conducted themselves like gentlemen. But they were wolves in sheep's clothing. She knew that, despite his dashing exterior, the Kraken would be back to his old ways before she and the crew would even stumble up the sandy shore.

He stood close to her now, in her personal space but not touching her. His body loomed over hers, his lips close to hers as their eyes locked. The wink he gave her resonated with a part deep inside of her, and she bit her lip. Yes, she had certainly met men like this before.

"That would be hard to do if you slept in the crow's nest every night," She said, returning his wink with a sly smile.
 
"Ah but if we were partners Lass I wouldnt need to" Angel said laughing and stepping away nodding at her "then we wouldnt have to worry about each of us wanting to stab each other in the back or hog tie the other one and deliver them to the steps of some noble arse who has never seen a fight"

"Theres corruption in all forms Lass" Angel said looking out over the sea "but here out on the sea nine times out of ten all that matters is who has your back in a fight and that your put your faith in some one who can feed you and keep you running no one here is forced to be here no one here fights with me because I order them to we fight together because we are a family and because our survival depends on it"

"Some food for thought at least" Angel said turning and moving away from her "Go see Mr. Clean he should have some work for you" He said shooting her a smile before he went to go make his rounds on the ship.
 
"Well, we still might need to worry about being hogtied if we were partners," Kel called out to the Kraken's retreating back. Then a part of her wondered why she was flirting with him.

She turned and went to find Mr. Clean who assigned her to swabbing the decks. She joined a few of the other crew members, her mind working through everything the Kraken had said. The part about his crew respecting him seemed true enough, the pirates were jovial as they went about their work, and when the Kraken walked past on his business they would call out to him, not cower sith fear. Though their treatment of Kelsey left her shocked. They had been far more respectful than a whole lot of the navy crew had been. She wondered if it was because they were worried about reprisals from the captain if they were rude... Though deep down she felt that it was because they were just that way. Sure, they joked, but everything was just that.

Kelsey kept working with them until he deck was cleaned and then she stood, stretching her limb amd deciding to see what the captain had in store for her next.
 
Angel laughed as he walked away "Touche lass!" He told her with a wink before he went off to check on their journey.

He spent the next couple of hours with Mr. Clean plotting their course and deciding their next course. The men had been at sea long enough and every one including Angel was ready for some shore time. It was decided they would go to one of the pirate havens after dropping them off and spend a month shore side while Angel got their treasure, supplies and provisions sold.

"And I am to guess the Lass is not staying with us?" Mr. Clean asked looking up.

"to stubborn its a shame though" Angel said sighing taking a healthy swig of Rum "I quite like her"

"to much for even you captain trust me" Mr. Clean said chuckling "Go ahead and go check on her I can finish charting"

"If you say so" Angel said moving off of the table and going over to the door. He stepped back out and went top side spotting her just as she finished cleaning the deck.

"Spick and span lass" Angel said winking "how was your time cleaning?" He asked with a chuckle.
 
Kel turned when she hear the Captain's voice. She gave him her most winning smirk.

"Well, I don't dk half a job," she declared, wiping her hands on her breeches and stepping towards him. "You have a good crew here..." She admitted, trailing off.
 
"I can see that" Angel said his tone showing he was indeed impressed.

"Its a good thing to trust me Mr. Clean has that nickname for a reason it would do you good to make sure your work always comes out that impressive" Angel said with a laugh as he led her to get some food.

"Aye we do have a good crew here" He said unable to contain his pride "there a good lot as far as I can tell eager to sail and learn a lot of the older men on my crew recomended them the ones who have since retired"
 
The twinkle in Dese Meurtes' eyes when he spoke of his crew was endearing, and Kelsey found herself smiling despite herself. She thought that perhaps this man could teach the Royal Navy captains a thing or two about working their men. She pushed that aside though, her expression hardening as she told herself that they were pirates. All of them. She had seen the reports of the destruction they had wrought. They might seem like good people here, but on the shore, and in the eyes of the ordinary folk, they were hideous monsters.

This time they ate in the mess with the crew. Kelsey felt out of place at first, sitting amongst the drunken carousing pirates, but they were friendly enough and happy to throw jokes her way. She kept eyeing the captain out of the corner of her eye, waiting for him to turn. Thus far he had been everything that Fitzkirk should have been but wasn't. Surely it was an act...
 
Angel made his rounds why every one ate checking his crew. He kept them all healthy and fit even going so far as to performing work outs with them on the deck of the ship when he could. Of course being on a ship demanded its own toll on the body so there were very little "fat" pirates.

So he spent most of the time trading words with them and making sure they were okay. He was always on the lookout for low spirits and if he found one he would engage them or make them laugh.

Once he was sure his men and their morale were tight he walked back over sliding in next to the young lass and eating his food.

"How do you find the men?" Angel asked her raising an eyebrow "in good spirits would you say?"
 
Kelsey watched as the Kraken made his rounds, her eyes darting to him whenever a lull in her conversation with the pirates around her allowed. After a while, one in particular began to grin at her. She'd heard the others call him Toothless (which was an odd name for him, considering he was probably the only crew member left that still had all of his teeth).

"Don't tell me a proud English lass like yer'self is sneaking glances as the Angel!" He teased. Kelsey's cheeks reddened, feeling like a trapped bird under his gaze.

"It's always wise to keep an eye on your foe," She stated with a dismissive wave of her fork before taking a gulp of ale.

"Ooh, yer a harsh one you are!" Toothless laughed before turning to his friends.

Dese Meurtes slipped onto the bench beside her and she looked up at him.

"Good spirits?" She scoffed, "Almost too good! They should teach the Royal Navy a thing or two about loving life at sea." She hesitated then, eyes catching Angel's and brows furrowing as she looked at him. Her gaze was deep, investigative. "Though perhaps that has a lot to do with their captain."
 
Last edited:
"well it does help that we arent stuffy like the Royal Navy" Angel quipped smirking as the other men snickered.

"However I am lucky to have some of the finest gentleman ever to set sail on the seven seas as well!" Angel hollered.

Every one rose as well an aye captain shouting out as they all hooted and hollered. Angel spun in a circle bowing at them all as they laughed and began to throw pieces of food at him.

"And that my dear is how you keep a crew loyal" Angel said sliding back down

"Captain" Mr. Clean said coming over and sliding into the stall "I just wanted to let you know we should be reaching the settlement tomorrow around mid day"

"Ah I see" Angel said turning back to Kelsey "ready to be rid of us lass?"
 
Kelsey couldn't help herself. She laughed at the crew's antic, watching the Kraken as he clearly enjoyed his part in it. When he sat back down she had managed to contain her laughter to an amused smirk. Mr. Clean came in then, sitting down with her and the Kraken, explaining that they were set to make landfall tomorrow at midday. Kelsey felt a stab of disappointment at the news and was shocked by her reaction. She was being ridiculous. The Captain's charisma and cheer had sucked her in, made her lower her defenses. She could barely believe it. Then, part of her wondered if this was truly how he worked. If Dese Meurtes would lull people into a false sense of security with his charming ways and then turn on them.

"I've been at sea for six months, Captain," Kelsey said, pushing the fish on her plate around to avoid looking at him. "I don't think I've ever wanted to sink my feet into the dirt so badly before!"

She hadn't answered his question, not really. He had asked if she was ready to be rid of them, but even she didn't know the answer. What she did know, though, was that once she landed it would be her responsibility to regroup the crew and take news of the loss of the Queen of Thorns back to London. She would take a new ship, of course, but it was still a grave loss. Her orders would stand until she succeeded or she was dead. She highly doubted the queen would retract them. So, even if the Captain didn't know it, this would likely not be the last time they saw each other.
 
"True enough Lass true enough!" Angel said noting with amusement that she had NOT answered his question.

"What do you say men?" Angel hollored catching every ones attention "I think we owe the Lass some shore time since she spent six months chasing us!"

"Aye Cap'n" They all hollered back. The ones closest to her jostled her giving her a good natured ribbing as every one began to break out in song.

Angel led them into Randy Dandy Shanty. The grog and rum wasp assed around and a party quickly ensured. Every one began to dance and sing partying as the thought of land after months of being at sea began to catch up to every one. They thumped and hollered and their singing rose in crescendo as Angel pulled Kelsey out onto the dance floor and began to spin and dance her.
 
When the singing and carousing had started, Kelsey promised herself that she wouldn't get involved. She only took swigs of ale or rum.when someone was watching, and then only sparingly. She had no intention to be drunk with a boat full of pirates.

But the revelry, it seemed, was contagious. When the Kraken pulled her in for a dance she couldn't resist, amd the crew raised their mugs and voices in a chorus of whoops and shouts. Dese Meurtes was a mich better dancer than she would have imagined, and she soon found herself falling into step with him, laughing and smiling as they twirled about the room.

"Who would've thought the pirate king was such an adept dancer!" She said, voice raised above the music and merriment, "if word got out this might just ruin your fearsome reputation!"
 
Angel spun her and laughed shaking his head

"Who said it wasn't already known" he quipped back moving away from her and clapping his hands as another took his place and began dancing with her as well.

"Ya hear that Lads? The lass thinks we pirates are to big and burly and tough to know how to dance!" Angel hollored as they all jeered "I think now we should make her dance with every one of you lot!"
 
Kelsey tried to decline Angel's suggestions but the lads would hear nothing of it. Truth be told, she needed a break from the captain. It had become confusing with their bodies so close together, so when she was pulled into a jig by Mr. Clean she tried to focus.

The crew had Kel laughing merrily in no time. She's had just enough grog to make her forget that she shouldn't be dancing with pirates and just enjoy it. She did a round, dancing with each pirate once (some even snatched her back for seconds) and they were all perfect gentlemen to her. On the Queen of Thorns there had been a few sneaky butt (or other part of her body) grabs from the crew, which had annoyed her greatly. These pirates were much milder mannered, revelling in the dance rather than trying to grope her.

By the time Kelsey made it back to the Captain her cheeks were flushed, her hair ruffled, and she was an utter joyous mess.

"Alright, alright!" She conceded with laugh, "Your whole crew can dance a merry jig! Did you get the Spanish Royal Ballet on board to train 'em?" She teased.
 
Last edited:
"Nothing like that Lass!" Angel laughed as every one else began to dance and more grog was passed around. The mood was infectious as every one celebrated the move from sea to land. Sure they would have to drop the prisoners off first and then sail to the haven however for the men who had been out at sea and had sweet hearts at home.

It did not matter

"Pirates are well known as excellent dancers" He teased her draining his grog in one smooth gulp "after all Lass you have to find some fun to have on a ship!"

Angel plopped the mug down and got up stretching "now Lass im going to go sleep in my bed you can either join me and have my word nothing bad will happen or find a hammock to crash in but that crows nest was hard on my back"

"Good night you bastards!" Angel hollered to which he got many jeers back. He winked at her and walked up going back above deck and moving to his quarters. He reached his bed and jumped down and in seconds he was passed out.
 
Kelsey was shocked that the Kraken just left her with his crew. He had seperated her from her own with he reason that he didn't trust them.not to rape her, yet he walked out on her when she was surrounded by a room full of drunken pirates. A stab lf concern went through her, but she had little time to think on it before she was pulled in to a dance by Toothless.

Kelsey spent another hour dancing and laughing in the mess. As they were before, the crew remained polite and jovial. They had spoken (or rather, slurred) the Captain's praises as though he were a mighty king and not a wanted pirate. They treated him with a respect and love that even the Queen has trouble commanding. It confused Kelsey. Sure, Angel himself could be delusional, but his whole ship?

By the time she excused herself, Kelsey's head was thumping and she was torn. She went back to Dese Meurtes' cabin automatically, making her way to the bed only to find that he was asleep in it. Just as he had said. With a frown she gently tugged off one of the blankets he had and dragged it over to a chair. She tried to settle into it, but the chair was nowhere near as comfortable as the bed. So Kelsey then made her way over and settled onto the floor beside the bed. It was the largest clear patch of space on the floor, and there was a worn rug to soften the boards beneath her. It took her a while to fall asleep, mind racing as it was, but she managed it eventually.
 
Angel woke up the next morning sore and with the usual dull ache he had come to associate with a hang over. He rose out of his bed groaning and reaching out to grab one of the spare apples he kept close to his bed for just such an occasion. He took a big bite and rolled off and onto the deck stretching as he did.

"aye that was a wild night lass" Angel said grabbing his jacket and slipping it back on "what did ya think-"

He turned noting with some disproval she was not on the other side of the bed. He shook his head snorting and getting up and continuing to munch on his apple as he went around.

"Oh lass" Angel said shaking his head and seeing her on the floor "I dont smell that bad"

He reached out gathering her and picking her up before laying her onto the bed. He shook his head smirking a little as he opened the door out to his deck and groaned at the sun beating down.

"morning Captain!" Mr. Clean shouted laughing as Angel winced

"Bah every time I get drunk" Angel snapped coming up the steps and to the wheel "how close are we?"

"We are steadily approaching land" Mr. Clean said turning to look at him "how do ya feel about leaving the lass?"

"It sucks but were on opposite sides Mr. Clean" Angel said sighing and touching the wheel "its to bad she would have made a fine captain and pirate in her own right"
 
Kelsey was in that nowhere place between sleep and waking when Des Meurtes got out of bed and moved around. She heard his voice through the fog of sleep and was amused. No, he certainly didn't smell bad. In fact, when he picked her up and moved her to his bed she couldn't help but breathe in his masculine scent and snuggle into his sleep warmed sheets.

Half an hour later when Kelsey woke properly she was disoriented. She remembered going to sleep on the floor, and it took her a few moments to remember that he had placed her in his bed before he left the cabin. She sat up then, a frown on her face, wondering once more at the contrasts of the Kraken.

Kelsey pushed all of her thoughts aside though. They were due to make landfall today, and when they did she would give be obliged to return to London, report to the Queen, and start her hunt anew.

If it weren't for the dozens of reports she had read she would never have guessed that this man was a pirate at all. He seemed kind, caring and genuine. His crew respected him and were all lovely, playful lads (even if they were a bit rough around the edges). This was the first time in her career that Kelsey genuinely felt bad about having to carry out her work. Bringing Dese Meurtes in was not something she would enjoy. In fact, if the Queen offered her a chance to pass the job on she might just accept.

Before leaving the cabin Kelsey scrounged around for a scrap of parchment, a quill and some ink. She scribbled a coded message and tucked it up her sleeve. For later. Just in case. She then made sure nothing looked out of place and made her way to the door.

As Kelsey stepped out into the harsh sunlight of the day she internally cursed herself. This was no sailor or merchant. This was the man that had raided, pillaged and raped his way up and down the coasts of England without remorse. Thousands of people had been killed, injured or left to rot.

A wolf in sheep's clothing, she reminded herself.

"Morning Captain!" Kelsey said as she walked up to the Kraken. "I trust you slept better in your bed than the crow's nest?"
 
Last edited:
Back
Top