Thoughts About Writing Incest

People reading incest stories are often missing that intimate familial bond (or love in general) in their lives. It's no surprise to me since I've started writing that most I/T readers don't want to see daughters and sisters being raped or taken advantage of, fathers who are cruel or moms who pressure their sons into replacing their dads. They want actual romance, possibly even deeper than readers of Romance itself.

Exactly. Although I've know few who were sexually abused by one parent or another, and have visited the sins of the parent back on their own, I believe the vast majority of incest writers are struggling with the loss or absence of an intimate familial bond, especially to a mother or father

goodsonformom;89373026 I believe the vast majority of incest writers are struggling with the loss or absence of an intimate familial bond said:
On what possible basis can you believe this is true of the "vast majority" of incest writers?

I don't believe this at all. I think the majority of incest writers on Literotica write these stories simply because they're fun and they get a big audience. I don't know how anyone who actually reads a fair cross-section of incest stories published here can come away with this perspective.

It's not true of me, that's for sure. When I started writing stories here I had no initial thought about writing incest stories. But I tried one and thought it was fun. I think the entire incest fetish is ridiculous, but I enjoy writing (and reading) the stories.

My view is that ANY statement along the lines of "People who write [blank] type of stories do so because of [blank]" is a false statement. The truth is we have no idea why they do, in the majority of cases, and it's particularly true here on Literotica where people write stories for fun and feedback.

On what possible basis can you believe this is true of the "vast majority" of incest writers?

I don't believe this at all. I think the majority of incest writers on Literotica write these stories simply because they're fun and they get a big audience. I don't know how anyone who actually reads a fair cross-section of incest stories published here can come away with this perspective.

It's not true of me, that's for sure. When I started writing stories here I had no initial thought about writing incest stories. But I tried one and thought it was fun. I think the entire incest fetish is ridiculous, but I enjoy writing (and reading) the stories.

My view is that ANY statement along the lines of "People who write [blank] type of stories do so because of [blank]" is a false statement. The truth is we have no idea why they do, in the majority of cases, and it's particularly true here on Literotica where people write stories for fun and feedback.

I may stand corrected regarding the "vast majority" and may have misjudged the numbers. I can accept that fact. But may I ask why is writing incest stories fun? What about the subject of incest appears to be fun, for you?

For me, I find the subject arousing, Why? I suppose it's really nothing I care to share in a debate, but I have spent decades chatting with people who have experienced incest in there own lives. To be fare, there are many personalities and behaviors involved, but whether they write about it or just talk about it; the two most prevalent conversations seem to be one of a shattered life, broken, and damaged, or one where the act is /was romanticized. Just sayin', my experience.

Incest/Taboo probably has all types of tourists and natives either reading or writing. I know my writing has a blend of hard core sex and intimate romance and most of my responses from fans are in reaction to the romance. And many personal interactions led me to believe that at least those readers have family/emotional issues that I can relate to on some level.
Whatever category you write, from either a place of interest or experience, if the kink doesn't strike a chord inside of you, it will be harder for the story to resonate with your audience.

Incest/Taboo probably has all types of tourists and natives either reading or writing. I know my writing has a blend of hard core sex and intimate romance and most of my responses from fans are in reaction to the romance. And many personal interactions led me to believe that at least those readers have family/emotional issues that I can relate to on some level.
Whatever category you write, from either a place of interest or experience, if the kink doesn't strike a chord inside of you, it will be harder for the story to resonate with your audience.

The key words and thoughts are pretty much as you've said so well......."if the kink doesn't strike a chord inside of you, it will be harder for the story to resonate with your audience."......:)

But may I ask why is writing incest stories fun? What about the subject of incest appears to be fun, for you?
For me, not so much 'fun' as 'challenging'. I write but don't read incest because not interested. Incest stories are puzzle-pieces to construct. How to somewhat believably and entertainingly break the ultimate taboo?

My goals (when I write) are to 1) grab eyeballs and 2) affect folks. LIT's best targets thus are LW and Incest but too many LW reader reactions suck. Group tolerates a lot and gets good reactions but fewer views. So I try to write eye-grabbers filled with asides and notions and quirks and flavorful irrelevancies. The incest is merely the vehicle. The story is elsewhere.

In my pieces, kin fuck because they're stoned or triggered or demon-driven or accidental, not because they set out to fuck kin. Mostly. Cousins can be on the edge but cousins aren't really incest, not in much of the world. Or incest goes unexplained; fucking happens; consequences do or don't follow.

It's cheap entertainment, not moral philosophy. This is LIT. It's all fucking. Siblings are expected to fuck. Women are expected to be bi. Everyone is comely or studly and many love anal. Women who go Black never go back. Men sport classic hard-ons longly and refresh quickly. Women drip, squirt, and scream. Aliens and mythical critters abound. Boys fuck their MILF moms and GILF grandmas, twin sisters, horny neighbor women, and hamadryads.

Reality is elsewhere. Don't look too hard.

And what better way to study moral philosophy than under the veil of our cheap fantasies? We are least genuine at our most sincere and most authentic when we're trying to tell a pretty lie.

And what better way to study moral philosophy than under the veil of our cheap fantasies? We are least genuine at our most sincere and most authentic when we're trying to tell a pretty lie.
Which fucks are more fulfilling, the moral or the immoral?

I think some are motivated by something from real life. An unrequited attraction for a family member(one of the most popular incest writers here wrote due to fantasies of his step mother who had been in his life since he was a toddler so pretty much a 'true mom' to him.

. As Goodson mentioned perhaps losing a family member, especially mom/dad in their young years and in their daydreams about that parent still being there the lines could be crossed(I know of one reader who mentioned that as they basis for the kink)

Some people-this is me-had no normal familial upbringing as in I was put in the system and bounced for awhile and raised by foster parents. So I don't 'get' the normal feelings for a mother so when I write these none of that 'this is not natural' dawns on me. I also had a sexual relationship with a foster sister who called me her brother during sex...kink is born.

The reasons are as varied as the readership itself. So I never dispel any reason as not being legit. But I agree that you can't say vast majority about anything here.

Which fucks are more fulfilling, the moral or the immoral?
I don't see fucking as being a moral issue. It's the relationship dynamics enforced or created by the fucking that I approach with my moral level, and I always enjoy the fucking better when, at the end of the play, we are equally important partners.

I've written Non-Incest and Incest. Incest is much, much harder if you ask me. It's the most challenging genre imho. Hard to come up with something original. Hard to negotiate the power dynamics. Hard to get over the intrinsic squick and just go for it without being unrealistic. It has to be wrong in the right way, which takes a lot of work.

Personally I hate the horny seductive daughter trope. I've only written one like that--an over the top pair of twins that were basically parody (though based on reality lol). Also never make the Dad the aggressor. It's always a mutual Holy Shit this is happening, until a mutual giving in.

Anything else (I've written at least) is free and easy.

I've written Non-Incest and Incest. Incest is much, much harder if you ask me. It's the most challenging genre imho. Hard to come up with something original. Hard to negotiate the power dynamics. Hard to get over the intrinsic squick and just go for it without being unrealistic. It has to be wrong in the right way, which takes a lot of work.

Personally I hate the horny seductive daughter trope. I've only written one like that--an over the top pair of twins that were basically parody (though based on reality lol). Also never make the Dad the aggressor. It's always a mutual Holy Shit this is happening, until a mutual giving in.

Anything else (I've written at least) is free and easy.

As you know, a lot of people mock the category, saying its readership is trash, they're not bright, its sick....you've heard it all.

And of course "Its so easy, just say mommy daddy yay..."

Well if you're writing a Wow, look at the size of my son's dick stroker maybe.

But if you're trying for a 'real story' then incest is the most difficult category to get a reader to think, you know I can see this happening. All other kinks except for non con can and do happen in real life and non con just gives the exact scenario of the real life crime except its fiction.

But incest readers don't want real life squicky incest they want hot consensual fantasy upping the game to get some plausibility in there. Usually the people dissing incest are the people who don't have any success there.

As you know, a lot of people mock the category, saying its readership is trash, they're not bright, its sick....you've heard it all.

And of course "Its so easy, just say mommy daddy yay..."

Well if you're writing a Wow, look at the size of my son's dick stroker maybe.

But if you're trying for a 'real story' then incest is the most difficult category to get a reader to think, you know I can see this happening. All other kinks except for non con can and do happen in real life and non con just gives the exact scenario of the real life crime except its fiction.

But incest readers don't want real life squicky incest they want hot consensual fantasy upping the game to get some plausibility in there. Usually the people dissing incest are the people who don't have any success there.

When I published Ink, Sex, Magic, I received tons of feedback from people who said they normally didn't go for incest as well as from people who said they'd been reading on Lit for years. They all seemed to appreciate that I built up tension and had a plot outside of the sex, which I was worried about doing successfully. Not everyone wants intricacies, but they don't all want mindless trope strokers either.

I don't try to grok why Incest is read. I care not. It's a challenging write and a well-received read. When I write (and not just for myself) I construct hopefully-entertaining pieces of projected desire and drama, more or less. Incest is not a crusade. YMMV.

I consider ways to catch and hold an audience's attention in general, but I don't cater my writing to any specific type of reader. I don't think about any message or philosophical view when I write- I just write. I can only work on the craft of writing, not how the end product is perceived or even what it "means".

Last edited:
I agree with Alice on this one.

There is so much pulp fiction and trite pap in the incest genre that most of it, for me, is repetitive and unimaginative. But there is a smaller group of writers (some expressing themselves here) who, when I read their work, I find something that digs right in, it's unsettling and arousing, and it "works," because they do explore the true taboos. But they're rare - the penguins on the high rock.

I've tried writing a few, like most of us, to see what happens. They've either ended up complete fails - I've only ever thrown away two stories, and this was one of them - because I knew none of the triggers and it's not a personal kink, or they just go soft and skate over the ice (again, because they don't strike chords in my own life).

But, my sister awaits. There's a love song to be written about her, when I get brave enough to write it.

I may stand corrected regarding the "vast majority" and may have misjudged the numbers. I can accept that fact. But may I ask why is writing incest stories fun? What about the subject of incest appears to be fun, for you?

For me, I find the subject arousing, Why? I suppose it's really nothing I care to share in a debate, but I have spent decades chatting with people who have experienced incest in there own lives. To be fare, there are many personalities and behaviors involved, but whether they write about it or just talk about it; the two most prevalent conversations seem to be one of a shattered life, broken, and damaged, or one where the act is /was romanticized. Just sayin', my experience.

I don't question your experience, or your experience in communicating with others about it. So there may be many people who feel the way you describe.

For me, personally, I'm not sure. I enjoy erotica that concerns a multitude of taboo or kinky subjects, partly because of the interesting spice it gives to the story and because of the inherent dramatic/romantic tension it creates. Incest is about the biggest taboo there is, at least on Literotica, which bars some others, so it makes for good, fun stories.

My sense is that there are quite a few incest authors who feel the way I do. Their stories tend to be somewhat light-hearted, with little presence or hint of people being damaged.

It would make for an interesting poll.

Incest is something I can't write about in any form. Maybe this stems from something that happened in my past? Maybe because I find my brother unattractive and couldn't imagine doing anything like that with him. Dunno. Just not a concept that appeals to me at all.

And what better way to study moral philosophy than under the veil of our cheap fantasies?

I agree with this, and my response to it further explains my answer to goodsonformom's question above. It also ties in with the thread someone else started about what message, if any, you are trying to tell with your story.

I believe the variety of human experience is nearly infinite. Almost all generalizations you can make about people are, strictly speaking, false, although they may be accurate as describing a statistical mean. It's not true that it's inherently bad for a 24 year old to have sex with a 14 year old, although it's probably a good thing we have and enforce laws and taboos to prevent that happening, and it's probably true that in the real world in many cases that this happens it's bad.

It's not inherently wrong for a 40 year old mom to have sex with a 20 year old son, because, in my view, nothing that doesn't involve actual harm and coercion is inherently anything. It may be practically bad most of the time, but as writers we aren't bound by how things are most of the time. We're free to explore the outliers and boundaries of human behavior. That's where the interest lies. It's where the moral dilemmas and challenges lie. And, for a story, it's where the fun lies. For me, anyway.

We return to the scope of erotic incest literaure being fantasy because IRL is usually brutal. And LIT-rule-breaking incest appears in mainstream literature because it appeals and sells or at least adds a desirable flavor.

Compare LIT-type incest to murder mysteries. Writers of such likely have not closely experienced, committed, or conspired to murder. (I'm an exception; close relatives were killed; but I don't write of those deaths.) Writers of incest fiction likely have not fucked or wanted to fuck kin. (Well, maybe a cousin.) We're spinning stories, is all.

Or maybe we are all Oh Daddy! babes and motherfuckers. Who can tell?

I agree with Alice on this one.

There is so much pulp fiction and trite pap in the incest genre that most of it, for me, is repetitive and unimaginative. But there is a smaller group of writers (some expressing themselves here) who, when I read their work, I find something that digs right in, it's unsettling and arousing, and it "works," because they do explore the true taboos. But they're rare - the penguins on the high rock.

I've tried writing a few, like most of us, to see what happens. They've either ended up complete fails - I've only ever thrown away two stories, and this was one of them - because I knew none of the triggers and it's not a personal kink, or they just go soft and skate over the ice (again, because they don't strike chords in my own life).

But, my sister awaits. There's a love song to be written about her, when I get brave enough to write it.

Part of the reason there's a lot of meh stuff in the category is most authors who are into numbers know its by far the most viewed and voted on category. So they're lured there for that reason and not because they actually have the kink.

This leads to some not so great stories because they're forcing them and trying to go by an ABC of what readers seem to want. But like Alice said with no actual passion for it, the stories come across flat. I'll add my earlier point of the misconception that somehow incest is the easiest category to write in.

To the contrary fans of taboo stories that are more into the emotional aspects and truly exploring the taboo in ways other than "Look at sis's tits!" can tell when the author is feeling it, or faking it.

Again, just expressing my opinion, but reading Anais Nin's journals- specifically the one edited and published as Incest: From a Journal of Love, detailing her (adult) incestuous relationship with her father- encouraged me to write. Writing became the first form of privacy I could control. My mother came from a generation that actively hid reports of incest occurring in upper to middle class white families, to make it seem like an issue only for poor minorities. It took many people speaking up about their experiences to shed light on an epidemic.
Now it's come full circle and is back in pop culture again (since there's nothing new about wanting to bang your mom)- usually to show a deep lack of morals within a character, though it's still eroticized.

Read my published for pay Family Retreat or Friday Night, fro incest with a plot. In each case there4's a reason why the incest takes places and respect; if not love.

Back