"My wife volunteered for a one-way mission to Mars"

I'd suspect it was a line from a script of the "Honeymooners" TV program.
 
The whole "Mars One" thing is a malicious fraud that will go nowhere. Anyone who signed up for it is being out-and-out suckered. I would be appalled with anyone I knew who bought into it.
 
Why would she do that? One Way to Mars?

What would be your reaction?

Why not? We're all here on a one way ticket and we don't even know where we're going. If I had a wife that was passionate about going, or one I didn't give a shit about, I'd pack her bag for her.

I'm pretty sure my first wife has already been there. She worked for Fuller Brush as a test pilot for brooms.

rj
 
She'll be too old to go by the time anyone sets out.
She'll be abandoning her kid.
The trip won't be viable in 12 years. Not with any odds of success.

Publicity stunt.
 
Why not? We're all here on a one way ticket and we don't even know where we're going. If I had a wife that was passionate about going, or one I didn't give a shit about, I'd pack her bag for her.

I'm pretty sure my first wife has already been there. She worked for Fuller Brush as a test pilot for brooms.

rj

I'd help her pack ("do you need these snow boots, dear?") and take her to the departure lounge; give her a big kiss goodbye and leave her there.

Broom pilot? I had one of those ?
 
Two reasons leap to mind:

1) The life insurance policy.
2) The awesome goodbye sex the night before launch.
 
Two reasons leap to mind:

1) The life insurance policy.
2) The awesome goodbye sex the night before launch.

A very interesting point, that.
Would this one-way trip constitute suicide within the meaning of the Act ?
And therefore invalidate the policy ?
 
It isn't for 12 years, lots can change, and yes, she might be too old. But this is not a government program, and remember history. The first English colonists (and the failed Norse colony/ies) were private rather than government ones, even if the English ones did have to get gov't permission.

And also, those first colonies were not well planned and there were deaths, lots of deaths, starvation and disease claimed most and spread to the Native Americans with horrible results. I assume that Mars thing will be much the same. The ones that go will totally dependent on supplies from earth and I doubt the private company will be willing to continually ship supplies without some payback.

They're probably counting on governments to rescue/supply, and will be blackmailing them with sob stories about how those brave people will die without help.

But if I was younger I would have volunteered. Exploration always claims lives. It's called progress.

Edited: If my wife - who is quite a bit younger, volunteered, I would understand and be envious that she was chosen. I would try to give us a LOT of fun memories to last the rest of both our lives.
 
Last edited:
Going to Mars isn't remotely similar to going to the Americas. The Americas were a continent on a habitable planet.

Mars One is a transparently obvious scam. The only place it's going is litigation. (Which is a lucky thing, frankly. A so-called "exploration" mission whose express purpose was to strand a bunch of people to die a long, slow death on Mars for reality television would have been bad for everyone had there been any possibility of its getting off the ground.)
 
Last edited:
While this is an obvious scam/publicity stunt and she"ll never leave earth... I can't help but wonder how this plays out with "till death do us part." :)
 
Back
Top