how patient is too patient?

helplessharold

Experienced
Joined
Nov 22, 2014
Posts
31
Alright editors quick question for you all: how long should I wait for my editor on here? I submitted a story to one about four months back and haven't heard so much as a peep since their first email. It's only 5000 words and minor spelling errors with the majority of issues being run on sentences. Should I wait longer or have I waited too long already?
 
5,000 words? Three days unless they register a death in the family. Sorry, but you don't really have an editor. I'd look for another one, if I were you. To protect yourself, there should be an upfront agreement on expected turnaround time. The editor should know what else is on his/her plate. No reason they can't give you a close estimate on turnaround time up front.
 
why don't you e-mail your editor and ask. Life happens, could be anything. I recently had to apologize to one of my writers because a tree fell on my house.
 
I always give an estimate of turnaround and send an update if I know I will have to extend that and always let them know how my schedule is looking and then they have the choice whether to send it to me or not.

Works for me.

I know if I was writing and wanting an editor, I would want to know when to expect completion..

5000 words, 3 to 5 days depending on how much needs doing.
 
I emailed them three or four times to check and zero responses. Thanks for the tips now I know more of what to look for when talking to an editor! Good thing it was just a prologue piece and not the whole story so I'll go and give it another shot.
 
I emailed them three or four times to check and zero responses. Thanks for the tips now I know more of what to look for when talking to an editor! Good thing it was just a prologue piece and not the whole story so I'll go and give it another shot.


I'd just move on, you've done all you could to be polite. Sadly I've had several such experiences, and I kind of given up on getting editorial help. A bit of a shame, because I know the stories would benefit by some proof reading.
 
Back
Top