a tip or two for self editing.

MarieWriter

Really Experienced
Greetings all, looking over the comments about editors.. I can see some of the frustration out there... So If I may be so bold-- I will offer a few thoughts and tips on editing.. This is more geared towards beginner writers, and those who know they need an editor.

First off ME: actual published author - erotica and non-erotica. (a few posted stories here that were for contests). As well as some professional editing work - not my favorite thing at all... And I also do a writers workshop at our local community college a few times a year.

This: maybe too long, sorry, skip to the end or read it all.. na, read it all, heck, it's not that long...

Finding an editor on here appears to be very difficult. (I used to do some - and am not opposed to helping out here or there, but so many people ask, without giving specifics). Everyone who will edit has their own limits: in time, desire, and what their interests are for and in editing. Help yourself out when you ask by giving as much info as you can: genre', word count, format, i.e word or google docs. etc.. The more info you give the better your chances might be. Also state what you seek in an edit. Is it a short frilly look over, or a detailed edit to help with any and all things. No editor wants to write your story for you, but knowing what you seek will help a lot.

Your story: Like all stories needs an editor-- period. Even if it is you- which is difficult for all authors no matter their experience. I suspect there are hundreds of stories posted here that have lower ratings simply because of grammar issues. It can be smoking hot, but if I have to read grammatical error after error I wont finish it.

So you need an edit(or). If you can't find an editor you have to self-edit. Which can be problematic at best. Why? because it is YOUR story, and it will say what YOU want it to say, no matter what it really says. Anyone can use the spell or grammar check. So USE IT!
But it only goes so far. A wrong word spelled correctly slips past that check. Words like HE and SHE often get switched around in writing and those will not be picked up by the checker. It may or may not pick up passive sentences-- a huge no no, but if you aren't sure how to fix that, then it doesn't tell you anything other than something needs adjusted. A grammar checker wont pick up on tense changes- another huge no no. A good story line will be destroyed for most readers by poor grammar.

Many newer writers struggle with stuff like: to, two, too, or your, you're - there, their. Lay, lie. Like vs as if, who or whom... (for a small example). When I did do some VE on here there were dozens of stories I looked at where the author didn't have any understanding of the "rules" for writing and quite honestly, it was a mess and frustrating. One of the reasons I stepped away from it.

Difficult to solve these problems on your own if you are unsure of what they are, how to spot them or fix them. BUT don't let that list of stuff keep you from writing!!!

SO...

If you are going to write, learn the basic rules- When to use quotes, how to write dialogue and the rules for formatting it-- i.e. a new paragraph every time someone different speaks. What are the options for writing thoughts vs. spoken words. How to write numbers. Yep- there is a rule for that too. LOL

OK you've read all of that and are maybe less than pleased.. Sorry.. simply some facts... So here are a few basic methods to help you self-edit:

1) write it-- write your baby- pump-- so to speak on a sex site- that story out. Get it done! And congrats, you're writing!! Keep going!!!! Just write!!!! Early attempts will not be so great... Even professional writer's early stuff needed improvement, so no big deal.
2) do the grammar/spell check on the system- fix the errors. (A note here-- don't worry about fixing every typo as you go along. If you have a thought, write it out, then you can go back and fix the typos the system highlights. Don't lose your rhythm of a story line for typos).
3) Finished it? Sweet-- now go through the story, look at the word count, give an honest effort to delete 8-10% of the story. WHAT?!! Do it. How? Get rid of pesky words that end in things like "LY" - for example- whenever you can.
3.a) 8-10% -- Yes really.. sucks huh, but it will tighten up a story! This step alone will freak many people out. Fine, don't do that, but it will tighten up the story.
3.b) What can I cut out? Well, if it doesn't move your story or plot forward, it is not needed. Period. -- see my note at the end on writing better with less words...
4) Once you think you are finished. PRINT THE STORY. Then sit down someplace and read it. This is actually huge. By printing it, and getting away from the computer, you can read it almost as if you are seeing it for the first time. Have a pen or pencil with you, or highlighter, and mark up the errors you see and jot down the changes you need to make. This is almost the single biggest way you can help yourself when doing a self-edit.
4.a) Go back to the computer and fix the items you have marked up. Reread it.
5) By now, you might be tired of reading the same damn thing a hundred times. I get that way. So walk away. Leave it for a day or two. THEN REPEAT STEP 4.
5.a) By this second reading, things like incomplete plots or thought lines or the wrong word in the wrong place will hopefully reveal themselves and you can fix them, or delete them. (If you like something that needs to go, but don't want to cut it out, cut and paste it to a 'scrap' document and use it for a later story).

After a second reading, if you find a lot of stuff to fix, repeat steps 4 and 5 again. If not, then you are pretty much there for self-editing. Maybe take a shot at an editor one more time, but don't wait too long, by now you know you are excited about posting it.. so do it, submit it, and hope for the best.

I wish you the best, but most of all.. KEEP WRITING!!

Side note: Struggling with trimming that 8-10% of your story? Yeah it happens. For lots of reasons. So we all need to learn to say as much as possible in as few words as needed. Here is a very basic writers exercise that helps quite a bit:

Find something, an idea, a picture, an image, a memory, anything- and write about it in 100 words. Exactly. not 101 or 99, 100. Make that story say as much as possible in 100 words. You will find yourself having to do some serious editing here, to get to where you want to be. This is a basic writers exercise that does so much. Give it a go. Not sure what to write about? Google a random image or something; sexual or nonsexual. Then write it, in 100 words.

Good Luck

--MW

Last edited:
LOL no- the points for self-editing are not. the stuff around it I tried for a hint or two of humor -- but for the people who end up self-editing- those are real tips. - that work -- some people just freak out at the edit 8-10% of a story line. But it's not changing the story, or suggesting changing the story, it is editing the words used where not needed- to tighten a story up. And it's a real thing. (that can suck).

Last edited:
Actually looks like very good advice.

I'm at the 'self-edit' stage right now of some stories I hope to submit soon so this is exactly the post I needed to read.

The biggest trap I find myself falling into right now is 'automatically filling in blanks'.

Let's say I write:

"she walked over to the counter and down on a stool"

Because I wrote it, I mentally read it back as:

"she walked over to the counter and sat down on a stool"

And I have caught myself as far in as the third read still finding missing words like that. When I read something someone else wrote, I spot them right away.

- sometimes when writing fast, I find I combine two words together and somehow correctly spell a third word:

"she walked over to the counter answer down on a stool"

- and again because it's my writing, I read back what I intended to write, and can miss that incorrect word several times...

So I'm trying to train myself to watch for these specific errors, but it's really hard to do.

Anyway, thank you for this post. Marking this one as one to keep open on my next self-edit pass.

So I'm trying to train myself to watch for these specific errors, but it's really hard to do.

Anyway, thank you for this post. Marking this one as one to keep open on my next self-edit pass.
Change the font, change the size (make it a lot bigger), change the colour. The changed line breaks trick the eye, and you read the words that are there, not the words you thought you wrote.

I always do this. Every edit session, I make the words on the page look different, and it works. Perfect copy is impossible, but you can get 99.99% with simple techniques like this.

Good additional piece of advise Blue... Remember-- I am trying to give tips for beginners or those struggling who know they need to edit or need an editor. This may not be much help to some writers. -- The print it out method is an excellent beginners and even more experienced writers tool. And based on the posts I see here, there are not a lot of VE's stepping up to help out or they are already busy. --MW

Last edited:
Marie, there are several articles on Lit on writing/editing. Although they are not organized for easy viewing. I even wrote one myself, a poor writer, at best. I found a volunteer editor to help with grammar - kenjisato - have yet to look for someone to assist with the non-mechanic areas such as plot and that dreaded 8% to 10% cutting exercise.

https://www.literotica.com/s/how-to-develop-a-good-story-01 [Yes, shamefully plugging my work!]

I'm pretty sure recalling Electricblue66 does his editing - his work is so good - he doesn't need anyone to polish his words or 'chop any wood' out of his writings. I pay heed when he speaks. AlinaX is a great wordsmith as well.

Another effective editing technique is to read your work aloud. It's surprising how many errors you pick up using this method. It slows down your mind and adds another sensory device to the editing process.

As an MS Word user, I recently installed the free version of Grammarly. It helps and it hinders at times. For the most part, it does catch many more things than it misses; it doesn't do vernacular or dialectical. Its spelling recommendations and corrections are better, IMHO than MS Word. It gets those pesky 'its, it's, there, their' things pretty well also.

Your 100-word exercise sounds interesting. Although, I believe you might expand that to 750 words. Lit has had some contests, or some such term, using that number. It is the minimum word count for submission of a story to Lit. I wrote one 750-word story as a 'bucket list item and posted it. Mixed results on feedback but it did just as you described - caused me to hone and shorten the content. It was a valuable exercise. If you go to the trouble of writing such a document for a 'writing exercise' might as well make it one that could be posted; you kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

So, MarieWriter would you mind my asking if you're open to editing an oldtimer's story rewrite for a current posted story? It's an incest listing, but without any sex scenes. It is just a conversation between father and daughter on a road trip home and the discovery of the last love letter from her mom to her dad as they drive - how's that for a theme!

Last edited:
That missing semicolon always grates...
ETA: I mean, is tl;dr itself too long for you to read and thus correct?

I'm pretty sure recalling Electricblue66 does his editing - his work is so good - he doesn't need anyone to polish his words or 'chop any wood' out of his writings. I pay heed when he speaks. AlinaX is a great wordsmith as well.
Yes, I self edit.

I had a couple of beta readers a few years back, who drifted away. One of them kept changing my female characters into slim hipped young boys (along with his serious edits), which made his copy a lot of fun to read whenever I got it back, but essentially, not so useful, because I had to edit my female leads back into the stories :).

The 100 word story is a very basic writers exercise. It is taught in writing classes and workshops and in fact many places seeking new writers to add to their content ask for something put forth in 100 words. (There is a 500 version as well). However the 100 word is a basic writers exercise. Changing it to 750 - or anything else- defeats the purpose behind it, which is learning how to say more in fewer words, i.e. learning how to have an impact in as few words as possible.

That missing semicolon always grates...
ETA: I mean, is tl;dr itself too long for you to read and thus correct?
Old timers' note to self: ETA - in my mind is 'estimated time of arrival'

tldr or tl;dr - has no meaning in my elderly thinking processor! tl maybe too long, tough love, toenail length? dr - doctor written by some kid with massive thumbs that uses a telephone like a typewriter with missing keys!

However, whatever those mean isn't important at this point; what is, is that i enjoy your wry humor!

afttbaua - shorthand for also found this to be a useful article :cool:

I am going to admit MY age here... I don't do very well with chat speak or text shortcuts... KWIM? Know what I mean? Cause hell, I don't even know what I mean with that stuff.

Last edited:
The 100 word story is a very basic writers exercise. It is taught in writing classes and workshops and in fact many places seeking new writers to add to their content ask for something put forth in 100 words. (There is a 500 version as well). However the 100 word is a basic writers exercise. Changing it to 750 - or anything else- defeats the purpose behind it, which is learning how to say more in fewer words, i.e. learning how to have an impact in as few words as possible.
I understand. You targeted beginners using a 100-word version in workshops.

Workshops are short-duration exercises so the value of limiting the number of words allows attendees more repetitions. I get that.

So, if there is a 500-word version, by extension, one could add half again the number of words and achieve TWO purposes - not defeat the purpose behind it. I found it very trying to limit my story to 750 words! When honed, I had a Literotica-length article! I achieved the goal you intended with 750 and the satisfaction of a published article for others to read as well!

[This response is one of your 100 word exercises! It started out as a 131 word response. Thanks for that! :cool: ]

I've done 100 words in the past. It's interesting, but it's not enough to build a story within. 750, by contrast, can actually feel too long, but it's still a fun exercise.

ETA confused the hell out of me the first time someone used it to mean Edited To Add. For me it's very much still Estimated Time Of Arrival.

tl;dr I learned on Tumblr a decade ago. People would write long posts and add a one-line summary. Very handy.

Hey all, the 100 word exercise is NOT intended to build or write a story. it is an exercise intended to make a point - describe something, explain something- not to write a story. And certainly not to post on here. It is a writers exercise to focus your words to tell us what you are writing about. And as I mentioned it is a common exercise that publishers want when considering someone new to add to their content. If anyone doing a 100 word exercise thinks "complete story" then I encourage them to rethink it. That is not it's intention. It is really a word/edit exercise.

I don't think anyone's disagreeing. It's just that 100 words is more focussed on the edit while 750 words blends edit with story.

Back