Flying while trans

I was not aware that it had been definitively proven that the newer microwave scanning technologies do not have any effect on biological systems. Being a skeptical luddite, I'll probably keep avoiding this technology, as well as holding a cell phone next to my brain for long periods each day. I do appreciate that others are willing to act as experimental subjects for these new technologies.

I can't comment on current µw technology (I haven't studied the stuff for several decades) but I *can* say that cellphones won't burn your brains out. Can fones hurt you? Sure, if you swallow them. But the EMF they deal with is too low-power and frequency to damage organic tissues IN ANY WAY. Check this out:

"I personally dislike cell phones, but can their use lead to cancer?

All known cancer-inducing agents—including [ionizing] radiation, certain chemicals, and a few viruses—act by breaking chemical bonds, producing mutant strands of DNA. Electromagnetic radiation [the kind produced by cell phones] is absorbed by molecules as discrete packets of energy called 'photons.' The energy of a photon is determined by the wavelength; the shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy. Not until the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum is reached, beyond visible light, beyond infrared and far, far beyond microwaves, do photons have sufficient energy to break chemical bonds. It's a little like trying to hit an object across a river with a stone... it won't matter how many stones you throw if you can't throw that far. Microwave photons heat tissue, but they do not come close to the energy needed to break chemical bonds, no matter how intense the radiation...

Regardless of how convincing the evidence exonerating cell phones may be, there will continue to be those who will argue that the issue has not been completely settled."
--Robert Parks
 
Hypoxia,

I'm certain your words will be very reassuring for cell phone users who are not cranky grandpas.

Apologies to those who are more interested in the original purpose of this thread. Did not mean to hijack.

Coati
 
Time to update an old but still relevant thread.

I've been offered another opportunity, which once again requires flying. Not a mere job interview this time, but a chance to collaborate with many brilliant and like-minded people.

How have things changed in the world of airport theatrics? Do they still grope those who don't want to pose for amateur nude photography? Are the gropings even more invasive now?

I had one idea to try and avoid molestation: fly out of a small airport. The theory is a small airport wouldn't have one of those expensive voyeurism machines, and therefore wouldn't have the forced choice of naked scans or groping. I don't know if this is actually true though.

What should people like me do?
 
How does one fly trains?

Since this question was asked, but never adequately answered...
9DtifSU.jpg
 
While the scanners may only show a generic figure to the operators, the full image is still being recorded and saved indefinitely. The guards may try to claim otherwise, but they've already been caught lying at least once. This major privacy issue alone means I will never set foot inside such a machine.

Furthermore, my atypical body type will almost certainly trigger an alert, requiring groping. This is also unacceptable, regardless if it's done in private.
 
You seem pre-disposed to believe the worst of the TSA. I am not in a position to say whether or not that's justified, other than to say that this hasn't been my experience.

erm... are you transgender? Because that makes a BIG difference on this topic; OP was specifically asking about flying while trans. Trans people can't afford to assume the best of everybody.

I'm sure most TSA agents are lovely people, but it only takes one to create a really bad experience.
 
I posted this in the GLBT forum initially, but it quickly got bumped off into obscurity.

I was just offered an all expenses paid trip for a job interview. The only problem is it involves flying, something I haven't done in over a decade.

Flying itself doesn't bother me, but airport security in the US has only gotten more and more invasive and absurd. They molest everyone, and would further harass someone like me for fun. I'm not sure what to do.

As a bit of background, I'm a transwoman. All my papers are in order, my appearance is perfectly passable, and no one is the wiser. At least, unless they conduct searches which in any other circumstance would be considered sexual assault. I'll be flying entirely within the US, so no customs to worry about.

What is the level of idiocy in the TSA these days? Is there anything I can do to prevent persecution? There's no way I'll ever step into a nudie scanner, but what about the groping?
sissy was not going to enter this but have been requested to so here it is.
To start with not all TSA folk are idiots.
sissy travels as sissy and fly's twice a year at least, the folks know sissy at the local airport so no problem there, unless they want to have fun with a newbe. Yes, sissy is in permanent chastity with a metal tub pierced around the little thing. This always rings the bell in any airport in the world. sissy can say the TSA is a lot better the in other countries.
Back to the point, most TSA folks will have no problems, sissy is not Trans but travels as a sissy and most of the time there is no problems, sissy does not get embarrassed.
No matter who you are it is always possible to encounter a problem with a particular TSA person, just go with the flow. If that is the reason you wont fly then you should look at why you were going in the first place.
This is only the opinion of a sissy and hopes it will help.
 
I'm not sure what airports you've travelled in but theres no groping involved! I've sometimes been patted down if I beep for done reason coming through the scanner. if you're a male a male member of staff will do it and if you're a female a female member of staff will do it. at no point do they touch your crotch!

I'm glad that your experiences have been good, but TSA groped my ex's crotch a couple of years back :-/
 
Back
Top