Happy Fourth!

lovecraft68

Bad Doggie
Happy Fourth, what are you doing today? Cook out? Fireworks?

My turn to host the family cookout. Sis and my brother in law, along with her nephews and their wives are coming along with both my daughters and one hubby and soon to be son in law.

MY wife's got a three car loads of her folks coming down from Boston.

Should be fun, her family is very...Brady Bunch and serious, my family are all party types.

Three rules of the day

No one talks politics, no one talks religion and LC's alcohol intake is limited due to the in-laws being there.:(

šŸ˜’ working.
Last night I caught one fireworks show though, and I have plans tomorrow for beach, seafood, and more fireworks. I'll be more excitable tomorrow.
Enjoy your party LC!

Hrm, you've made me re-think my plan. I'll have a drink, in your honor.

Happy 4th of July everyone. :rose:

I'm trying to keep it low key. Will visit family for a little bit but mostly some cleaning and some cooking to get ahead of the week.

Writing, there will definitely be writing too.

I'm reading a memoir of a Revolutionary War soldier.

As a rule, these men traded shots with British soldiers, occasionally, but much of their time was spent hungry, cold, wet, and fucked with by very junior officers. American officers, by and large fared well, American government officials did great! But the lowly American soldier was shit on by all. George Washington esd loved because he treated his soldiers as well as possible, and suffered as they did. The facts do not flatter most American officers, officials, and politicians. Washington and his devoted band of men won the war.

Happy 4th of July everyone. We're not doing much today, wife and son have to work. I'll BBQ tonight when they get home, then sit on the patio and watch the neighborhood we can get the good stuff here so the whole neighborhood blows up on the 4th. So today I'm writing.

I'll BBQ tonight when they get home, then sit on the patio and watch the neighborhood we can get the good stuff here so the whole neighborhood blows up on the 4th.

And on that note...

13537683_1549046678737590_6321680775604313942_n.jpg

Happy Fourth.

Low key day. Just got back from a week on the west coast so adjusting to time zone change.

It's raining like hell here and cool--69. I'm checking periodically in on Wimbledon (both Williams sisters are through to the quarter finals as is Sam Querry), starting a fourteenth story for the coming Grab Bag 11, starting to set up the anthology Africa Tails, and sending out some invitations to established writers for an anthology I publish every year. So, just another day in the neighborhood.

For the third (fourth?) year in a row my parents and I went down to one of the original mansions in the city, where the person for whom our city is named used to live, and listened to re-enactors read The Declaration of Independence as well as portray the two people in question and answer questions. They are dressed in period clothes and have period items which rounds out the portrayal.

Corny, perhaps, but the two men look almost exactly like the pictures of the two people they represent. It also affords me the opportunity to continue to work on my photography skills.

Afterwards a walk at a local nature preserve then home to eat our fill of meat products and homemade goodies, including a pie by me.

Happy Fourth! We're not doing much over here. I'd like to go see fireworks later but it depends on how motivated we get. :)

Happy forth!
We're laying back and just ordered a pizza to be delivered soon. I napped this afternoon. We cooked out brats last night (the american version, nothing like the little finger sized ones I had in Germany many decades ago.) we had a good friend over, sat on the deck until late talking and drinking cocktails until late.

For the third (fourth?) year in a row my parents and I went down to one of the original mansions in the city, where the person for whom our city is named used to live, and listened to re-enactors read The Declaration of Independence as well as portray the two people in question and answer questions. They are dressed in period clothes and have period items which rounds out the portrayal.

Corny, perhaps, but the two men look almost exactly like the pictures of the two people they represent. It also affords me the opportunity to continue to work on my photography skills.

Afterwards a walk at a local nature preserve then home to eat our fill of meat products and homemade goodies, including a pie by me.

Close to what happens here. Anyone getting their U.S. citizenship can opt to come up to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, on this day and receive it in a ceremony there on the steps to the garden from the mansion. They got wet today.

Close to what happens here. Anyone getting their U.S. citizenship can opt to come up to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, on this day and receive it in a ceremony there on the steps to the garden from the mansion. They got wet today.

Still need to go there, Monticello. It's only a few hours south of me but just haven't gotten my act together to do so. I've read about it, including in Jefferson's own words, but being there will certainly be much better than words.

Still need to go there, Monticello. It's only a few hours south of me but just haven't gotten my act together to do so. I've read about it, including in Jefferson's own words, but being there will certainly be much better than words.

I just stood up to look out of one of my home office's windows because fireworks are going off in a park--and there Monticello is, sitting on top of its little mountain on the ridge across the city from the ridge my house sits on top of. Each time I go there, it's a little different, as they hone in on what is what. They have a particularly nice welcome center now, with a good museum and an extensive gift shop and a cafe. When I first visited it (probably in 1953), we drove right up to the front door. That doesn't happen anymore.

OK, now it's weird to have to watch the July 4th fireworks from your local park via a Facebook clip from a neighbor's house a few blocks away because the trees at your house are too tall. (And did no one think to tell the MC at the Boston celebrations shown on CBS that her mike wasn't on--during at least the whole first half?)

My wife and two older daughters are off to watch an organized display while the neighborhood around me is exploding. Both of my sons-in-law retired to home. One claims sinus problems and the other has a touch of PTSD from two tours in Irag; the fireworks sound like mortar fire to him.

And now two out of three cats are hunkered under my office chair looking for solace and the third is nowhere to be found. She'll come out later.

It's raining like hell here and cool--69. I'm checking periodically in on Wimbledon (both Williams sisters are through to the quarter finals as is Sam Querry), starting a fourteenth story for the coming Grab Bag 11, starting to set up the anthology Africa Tails, and sending out some invitations to established writers for an anthology I publish every year. So, just another day in the neighborhood.

Hey, Hey. I saw a meme on facebook this morning. Happy Traitor day you ungrateful colonialists. Had to laugh. You mean the Williams brothers pilot. And when you get done with that African Tails thing I'd love to give it a read. My historical knowledge of Africa is quite extensive, due to the archeological sites.

Cheers, everyone for Independence Day, I'm having a couple stiff Russian drinks to rub it in their faces.:D

Back