The Purple Thistle

The day on the river was delightful, with the various families of water fowl making the trip downstream fun. She laughed at the ducks and swans and sneaked into the wicker basket of food to steal some bread to throw out for their companions on the waterway, until Alexander reminded her to save some for them to eat. Though he too laughed when soon the creatures were following them in hopes of more food.

There were wonderful sandwiches on crusty bread full of thick slabs of ham and tasty cheese, plenty of fresh fruit and fat pickles that were tart and vinegary. Several bottles of beer were included to wash it all down.

“There is enough food in here to feed a small army. You shall be so full that you will be unable to row back. Perhaps you should have rowed upstream and floated back downstream as you digest your food.”

She laughed at his sheepish grin and stole another kiss from him.

“Oh, it seems that the baby agrees with me.” She placed her hand upon where the kicking was most active and gave a squeal. “I think that it is a boy and he is offering to help you row. At least it feels that way.”

They spent a while cuddled in each other’s arms feeling the activities of the new life that seemed to kick inside her. Once the child settled down, they once more kissed before Alexander turned the boat around, but not before splashing her with his oars as they headed back up the stream to where Jeremiah awaited them. They laughed the whole way back as Veronique sought out every crumb she could find to entice the ducks to continue to follow, having lost the swans some time ago when they had stopped to eat.

The day had been just what she had needed. There had been no thought of Bella or of how the woman had died. Or of wee Marcel, the last of his line, now being raised by his grandparents. Because they had rescued poor Bella and her parents, there was now a chance that Marcel du Charpentier would thrive. Because now the linage of du Charpentier had outsmarted the la guillotine.

But all of that was pushed out of her mind as she watched Alexander huff and puff in an exaggerated motion with occasional sneaking of a kiss from her as he claimed that they gave him energy. It must have worked for soon they were back where they had started with Jeremiah grinning at them.

Alexander and Jeremiah spent a few minutes reminiscing about days gone by before they headed back to the inn. She was tired but it had been an enjoyable day.
 
Rarely had Alexander enjoyed a day so much, all alone with his wife full of their child. He could scarcely believe his luck a beautiful wife and a child on the way and today he had them both to himself with no one to disturb them apart from the wild fowl on the river who soon worked out that by being cute and coy they would be fed tasty titbits. They drifted downstream letting the current take them where it will and while Alexander and Veronique were wrapped in each other's arms exchanging kisses and laughing at the antics of the ducks as they put their heads under the water and wagged their tails in the air, the current took them to a small islet in the middle of the river and they came to rest under the broad sweep of a weeping willow that provided shade from the sun and at the water's edge was a small strip of lush grass just large enough for them to lay out their blanket and their picnic. They took their time eating their picnic and washing it down with the bottles of ale although Veronique did wrinkle her nose a little as she was more accustomed to wine. They threw crumbs of bread into the water for the ducks and swans to squabble over and laughed heartily as one brave little duckling snatched a tasty crust from the beak of a large swan.

Afterwards they curled up in each other's arms again and kissed one another passionately, declaring their love. As they lay basking in the dappled sunshine Alexander reflected on the past few months and came to realise that although he was deliriously happy with his life as it was, he was missing the thrill he got when on a rescue mission in France. He said nothing to Veronique as for her this was a few days of recuperation and he didn't want to interfere with that.

When it was time to go Alexander helped Veronique back into the boat and as he would have to row he had to sit at the other end of the boat, while he was putting the oars out he 'accidentally' splashed Veronique who took it all in good part. He huffed and puffed with mock exhaustion exhorting Veronique to give him a kiss to give him energy, at one point when she was laughing at him he asked if she could do better. Soon enough they were back where Jeremiah was waiting. Again both Alexander and Jeremiah held each of her hands as she stepped ashore.

"Thank you so much Jeremiah,'twas a wonderful day, now what do I owe you for the boat hire?"

"NOWT! Master Alexander, nowt, but a kiss will do."

Alexander drew his hand across his brow in mock horror,

"Why Jeremiah? Why on earth would you wish to kiss ME?" He leaned in towards Jeremiah and whispered conspiratorially, "You haven't turned have you? At one time nowt but lasses were your interest."

Jeremiah laughed heartily, getting the joke,

"NO, oi ain't turned an' oi wudn't kiss yew if'n yew were t'last person on earth. Oi ain't kissed a girl as pretty as yer lady there fer many a year so it's her oi wanna kiss."

"OOHH Jeremiah why didn't you make yourself clear? I am sure Veronique will be honoured that you wish to kiss her."

With Jeremiah's wish out in the open Alexander took Jeremiah over to where Veronique stood waiting patiently completely ignorant of what had been agreed.

"Veronique, one more thing before we go, the sweetest kiss you can muster if you please."

Alexander turned Veronique round and Jeremiah swooped, cradling her and planting a big bushy kiss on her lips.

"Whoa Jeremiah, I said you could kiss her not devour her."Alexander laughed at the surprised look on his wife's face.

"I will make it up to you tonight my love," Alexander slipped his hand round Veronique's waist and let it slip down to cup her small round bottom and gave it a squeeze.
 
That night they enjoyed a nice meal in the room, just the two of them. Noddy had been sweet to bring them a fine meal of fish and vegetables, delicious hot bread with plum jam and sweet wine. There was also several cheese to finish off the meal and by the time that Alexander’s old acquaintance came to clear away the dishes and bits of crumbs, Veronique was quite full.

“If I eat very many more meals such as that, people shall think that this child is due now.” She teased and Noddy seemed to take it in the nature that it was meant, grinning at her.

Once she and Alexander were left alone, they began to prepare for bed. Once he had helped her out of her dress, Alexander kissed her passionately as he stroked her belly. As if aware that papa was there, the baby began to kick and move around inside of her.

“Are you really ready to be a father? Because it scares me a bit. It is such a big responsibility.” She was quiet for a moment, remembering. “And Bella brought home the fact that not everyone survives childbirth. Oh, I realize that Bella was beaten by Percy and that had something to do with it. Still I am glad to know that I will have you there with me.”

She leaned into him and kissed him soundly before she began to help him undress. Once they were both naked they climbed into bed, coming together in quiet love. For some time the room was filled with her passionate cries until at last they fell asleep in each other’s arms.
 
The evening was uneventful apart from the excellent meal that Noddy provided them with in the privacy of their room and Veronique teased Noddy when he came to clear the plates,

'If I eat very many more meals such as that, people shall think that this child is due now.'

Noddy seemed pleased and just grinned and said the words that almost every pregnant woman must hear more than once,

"That's as may be m'dear, but you are eating for two now."

Alexander was happy that both Noddy and Veronique were comfortable with the lack of formality that Noddy spoke to Veronique, addressing her as a close friend rather than as a customer from the aristocracy.

Once they were alone Alexander lost no time in doing what he had been aching to do all day. He unlaced Veronique's dress and helped her out of it and the underclothes she had worn for modesty's sake. Soon she was naked and Alexander gazed at her and her expanding belly, his eyes full of love for her, he drew her to him and kissed her passionately while he stroked her belly with one hand and alternated between her breasts and her round buttocks with the other.

"Our little one cannot be tired tonight, he is very active." Alexander complained jovially as he felt a hard kick from her belly against his hand.

"Do you think that he will mind if you focus your attention on me my love?"

It was only then that Alexander really understood how much Bella's death had affected her,

'Are you really ready to be a father? Because it scares me a bit. It is such a big responsibility"

She paused for a moment reflecting.

Bella brought home the fact that not everyone survives childbirth. Oh, I realize that Bella was beaten by Percy and that had something to do with it. Still I am glad to know that I will have you there with me.'

That was all she said before kissing him soundly and began to undress him, her nimble fingers making short work of his buttons and quickly stripping him naked, then there was a dash for the bed from the two of them and they met in the middle with giggles from Veronique and appreciative grunts from Alexander as they embraced and tangled their arms and legs together.

Veronique was quite vocal in her cries of passion as Alexander entered her soft, wet sensitive sex and gently made love to her being careful not to weigh heavily on her and asking if she would be more comfortable if she rode him. Eventually, making love and a long day caught up with them and they fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms.

It was late when they woke, Noddy had let them sleep, preparing a cold breakfast for them for when they put in an appearance. He busied himself cleaning the floor of the Inn and then going out into the garden to water the flowers.

"Are you the Innkeeper?" A voice enquired,

Noddy turned to see a giant of a man, extremely tall anyway.

"Yes Sir that oi am, can oi 'elp thee?"

"If you have a room for two for several nights then you can indeed help me."

"Why yes Sir oi do 'ave a room ,oi'm afraid the best room is taken but t'other is just as comfy, what name is it Sir?"

"Very well I'll take second best this once, the name you say, it's Blakeney, Sir Percy Blakeney and my companion is Lady Caroline."
 
As they sat in the common room eating their morning meal, she felt at ease, happy for the moment that what had occurred during the past couple of weeks was in the past. She felt the baby kick and gave a laugh.

“I believe that someone else is hungry.” Alexander laughed and for the first time in a while, he too looked relaxed and at ease. As they sat and ate, she looked out the window seeing old Noddy taking care of the garden in front of the building. From her viewpoint, she could see a well-dressed couple approach the innkeeper, finding something oddly familiar about the pair.

But she continued eating her meal. Alexander was very insistent that she keep up her health for herself and the baby. And he would slip his hand down to periodically stroke her belly.

“Don’t you think that I am a bit too large for the number of months that I am along? Just how big is this child going to be?” She worried that perhaps she was eating too much.

Looking out the window again, she gave a small gasp at the sight that greeted her eyes. Talking to Noddy was Percy and Caroline. They were the couple that had been talking to him. That was why they had looked familiar.

“Love, you will never believe just who I do believe will be staying here too.” She gave him a half smile as Percy and Caroline entered following Noddy. She did not know if it was all an act or if the two of them were truly surprised to find her and Alexander here.

However, she smiled and greeted the two as Alexander turned to see his old friend. “Well, this is certainly a surprise. Are you planning in staying here?”

Percy looked just as he always did but Caroline was dressed every inch the Lady and in fact Percy mentioned something about how he and Lady Caroline had just arrived. She smiled and greeted Caroline as if they were friends. After what the woman had endured she certainly deserved a better life. Though in a way, she felt a bit of the joy go out of the day, she did her best to hide it. After all, the man was still Alexander’s friend. And the madness that seemed to have possess Percy as to wanting to own her had apparently been broken by what he had witnessed with Amabella’s death.
 
As they were eating breakfast talk naturally turned to Veronique's ever expanding belly and Alexander could now feel as his hand caressed her belly that her bump had grown larger surprisingly quickly and was now more of a bulge than a bump.

'Don’t you think that I am a bit too large for the number of months that I am along? Just how big is this child going to be?'

Alexander laughed "Are you sure it is just the one? You might well have a pigeon pair roosting in your belly."

Veronique didn't answer the jovial question instead she gasped out,

'Love, you will never believe just who I do believe will be staying here too.'

Alexander had no idea who she could be talking about until he heard a familiar voice quoting an even more familiar ditty,

"They seek him here, they seek him there, those Frenchies seek him everywhere,
is he in heaven is he in hell,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

Alexander turned in his chair and finished it for Percy "That damned elusive Pimpernel."

Percy stopped dead in his tracks and his flouncing walk and peered over at Alexander and Veronique.

"Egad! What are you two doing here? Caroline and I are taking a few days of peace and quiet to try and comes to terms with what has happened, seems to me you must be of a similar mind."

At the mention of her name Caroline emerged from behind Percy looking every inch the lady, her hair perfectly coiffed and an elegant lavender coloured dress.

To Alexander's surprise his wife and Caroline greeted each other with a smile like friendly acquaintances and no sign of animosity.

The question on everyone's lips was, were they all staying at the inn and how friendly would they be to each other? For the moment, trust was an unstable currency.

Alexander wanted to believe that his oldest friend had recovered from his madness and no longer desired to own and use Veronique which had been his intention. Percy had lost the wild eyed look that had been in his eyes and now he was back to his dandified self and putting on the act the two of them had perfected of behaving like buffoons.

"Sit down Percy and drop the act, nobody here knows you and will not be impressed I can assure you, tell me what are your plans? Any more forays into France in the offing?"

Percy leaned towards him and said, "Is it possible we could spend the afternoon together? I cannot say more in case the ladies overhear."

The outcome of that conversation was that Veronique and Caroline were persuaded to play croquet on the lawn at the rear of the inn while the two men sat and watched and talked. The ladies looked most fetching in their almost identical white dresses while one of Noddy's better trained boys provided shade with parasols.

"Well Alexander am I to surmise that you are hankering for a little excitement? Are things too dull and quiet for a man of action like yourself?"
 
Percy muttered something to Alexander and suddenly her husband was asking Noddy if he could set up croquet on the lawn at the rear of the inn. With her mouth set in a firm line of peevishness, she soon found herself relegated to what women in polite society do - play a game of croquet with someone that she had nothing in common with and fake sincerity.

She knew that Caroline was not a lady, but this really was not why she was put out. However, Caroline was not to know and apologized for forcing Veronique to play a round with her. Of course, as they had a servant practically standing over them as they played, their talk was somewhat stilted and cryptic.

“It has not been all that long since last we saw you both. I trust that your lives have settled down somewhat, Lady Caroline.”

Caroline wrinkled her nose and gave a quick glance at the servant before she answered.

“It has been a learning experience. Impending motherhood becomes you.”

Veronique reaches out and lightly touched Caroline’s arm. “Memories haunt us all.” The older woman nodded and concentrated on the game for a moment before speaking.

“Is it our untimely arrival that bothers you?”

“No, it’s that at one time I would have been included in their discussion.”

“At one time you would have joined in.”

“Not for what you think. I love my husband dearly, Caroline. I had at one time enjoyed the same...adventures... that he did. Now I cannot.” Veronique noticed the look that Caroline gave her and she shook her head. “You misunderstand. I am proud to carry Alexander’s child. It is merely a young woman mourning the loss of her idyllic new life. From now on I shall be a Mother first. ‘Tis my own folly, and my own blessing. I have always wanted it all. I just have to learn that I cannot have it all at the same time.”

She gave a little laugh and the two women play a while longer until Veronique won, despite her efforts to let Caroline win.

“Thank you for your attempts though I think that it will take a bit more practice before I am any good at this diversion. I do thank you for your efforts to let me win. Next time I should be much better.”

They laughed and glanced over at the two men with their heads together locked in deep discussion.

“Is Percy back to his old self?”

“I believe that he is. Amabella and whatever happened in that room seems to have brought him back to his senses. And little Marcel seems to have taken to his grandparents.”

“Good. He deserves a good life. He started out with the short end of the stick, I believe it is called.”

Caroline looked at the men. “Do you think that they are through now?”

Veronique answered sotto voce. “They are now as far as I am concerned. Part of being a Lady is knowing when to interrupt.” Veronique headed towards to two men, her walk the waddle of a woman expecting. “Enough, gentlemen. Alexander, my love, could you help me to our room? I need a rest. This little one has been kicking me till I feel black and blue inside.”

Alexander jumped up to help her and she smiled at Percy. “I am sure that if you are staying here then we shall see more of you and Lady Caroline.” She nodded her head to the man. “Sir Percy.”

Veronique let Alexander lead her up the stairs to their room.
 
Last edited:
With half an eye on Veronique and Caroline playing croquet and seemingly being civil to each other Alexander listened as Percy leaned in towards him and with his hand on Alexander's knee he spoke in a low conspiratorial tone,

"Alexander, I understand that marriage to a woman who is with child can be,,,,,, shall we say,,,,,,,,,, unfulfilling, especially for a man such as yourself who thrives on excitement and danger. Do not misunderstand me, I am sure that Veronique allows you certain privileges but you have to be cautious and not let yourself fully express yourself in case you might damage the baby. I am not suggesting that you take a mistress for you are too much of a gentleman to cheat on your wife but you need a distraction and I have such a distraction in mind. It has been some time since we did our bit to help our friends on the other side, I receive reports almost daily of poor unfortunate aristocrats being dragged from their homes and ending up losing their heads. We cannot possibly save them all but some we can save like Amabella and her parents. Would you consider joining me and others on such a venture?"

Alexander didn't know what to say, everything Percy had said was true, even down to his relationship with Veronique which was no longer spontaneous but needed to be planned in advance. Yes, he was becoming bored with the quiet life but how could he leave Veronique to cope on her own not knowing where he was or what he was doing?

"Percy, you know me so well and most of what you say is true but I cannot just up and leave Veronique without her knowing, IF, and I say IF I come with you it will need to be with her blessing so I will need to tell her everything, she is a member of our company if you remember she is named 'BUTTERCUP', she would not tell anyone else, also she is not able to join us in her condition so who do you have who can speak French?"

Percy thought for a moment and then replied,

"Of course you must tell her, not knowing would concern her far more than knowing. The French question is solved, Caroline has been teaching me French and I am now fluent enough to get by so she tells me but still she does not know the full story."

It was at that moment that Veronique and Caroline joined them, Veronique's pregnant waddle a little ungainly and she seemed a little pale.

'Enough, gentlemen. Alexander, my love, could you help me to our room? I need a rest. This little one has been kicking me till I feel black and blue inside.'

Alexander leapt to his feet and took her arm to lead her back to their room,

Veronique acknowledged Percy with a nod of the head and a cold

'Sir Percy.'
 
The walk back inside the inn and climb up the stairs was relatively silent with Alexander providing an arm to lean on and an arm around her back for support. Inside the baby kicked as if wanting more room and she was glad when they reached their room.

“Just let me sit for a minute.” He helped her to a chair. She usually was not so frail, but part of it was that she wanted to know what was going on. She had noted the seriousness of his face as the two men talked and she had her suspicions as to what it was about.

In a way, she did not completely trust Percy. It really was not all that long ago since the man had tried to kidnap her for his own sexual gratification. She could understand that Alexander accepted that the man had come to his senses. After all, the two had been friends for so long. He had even been Alexander’s best man. So it made sense that he was more forgiving than she was. She just hoped that he understood that she could not so easily forget the past. A part of her just did not trust Percy.

“I will be just fine - though I have to admit that I was not expecting to see Percy. Oh, my!” She grabbed his hand and placed it against her belly where the baby kicked hard. She watched as he grinned while the baby kicked his hand. “You would not think it so cute if this baby was kicking your insides.” She gave him a look as if trying to read him. He was quiet for a moment and she suspected that he was trying to gather his thoughts, figuring as to how was the best way to tell her.

And quite truthfully, she had a fair idea as to what he was going to say. She knew her husband and to a certain extent she knew Percy. She knew their pasts. She had even been on an adventure with them. So, really it should not surprise her. Still...

“Well, how soon do you leave?”
 
Alexander was full of concern for Veronique and sat her in a chair as she took his hand and placed it on her swollen belly, he could feel the little one kicking away and it brought a smile to his face,

'You would not think it so cute if this baby was kicking your insides.'

She admonished him then looked at him in the way he knew she was trying to read his thoughts. He really didn't know how to tell her, she was a good way through her pregnancy and here he was considering leaving her while he went gallivanting around France with Percy. He knew that she would not be best pleased if he suddenly announced that he was leaving her to go to France with the man who had coveted her and tried to take her away from him. He was normally a decisive man and made snap decisions but this required careful thought.

Strangely enough, Veronique made the decision for him,

'Well, how soon do you leave?'

"I ,,,,,, I,,,,, hadn't decided my love, I want go, I need to go but if you want me here I will stay, we would not have left for two or three weeks yet, I am in a dilemma my sweet, each day there are innocent men, women and children being brutally murdered and I,,,,,,,,, that is, we, are able to save a pitiful few, how can I turn my back on them? I hate to do this Veronique my one true love it is your decision that will point the direction I must take."
 
Last edited:
She listened quietly to his words. Just by his countenance she knew that he was dying to go. Had she not been in this condition she would be aching to go with him despite Percy being there too. Strangely she had enjoyed the one time that she had traveled with the group to France. The danger. The excitement. Knowing that because of their exploits someone lived that otherwise would be beheaded.

For a moment the memory of Bella flashed through her mind but she pushed it away not wanting to show weakness. She really did not blame him and were they in each other’s shoes she would feel just as he did.

“Alexander, of course you must go. Every day comes a list of more people that lose their lives to Madam Guillotine. Just because I cannot go with you does not mean that you give it all up.”

She struggled to stand and he rushed to help her. “I’m all right. It’s just that I’m a bit tired. Love, you go. Go to France and rescue some poor unfortunate from certain death. And I will be waiting here for you. It shouldn’t take more that a couple of days. A week at the most. Just make Percy behave and take care. The baby is not due for maybe 2 months. Plenty of time.”

She kissed him and stroked his cheek. “I love you so much, Alexander. So much more than I ever thought possible. And I am happy to be carrying your child. So you go off and have your mission and return to me safe and sound.”

She gave a groan. “Now, have a talk with your child and make him quit kicking his Mother.”
 
'Alexander, of course you must go. Every day comes a list of more people that lose their lives to Madam Guillotine. Just because I cannot go with you does not mean that you give it all up.'

"Thank you my love, I would go with a heavy heart if I did not have your blessing. As you say it should only take a few days and I will be home in plenty of time to welcome our little one into the world, just promise me that you will take care of yourself and not worry."

They were brave words he spoke for Veronique's benefit but he had a foreboding feeling that things would not go according to plan. Percy was an excellent planner but he was becoming more reckless with each mission. The one where Veronique had accompanied them had gone smoothly but it had been an enormous gamble to go to a chateau and demand that the prisoners be handed over, Veronique had played her part superbly it was her wit and quick thinking that had allayed any suspicions the guards might have had.

To confirm her assent to him leaving her for a while she kissed him and stroked his cheek with the palm of her hand,

'I love you so much, Alexander. So much more than I ever thought possible. And I am happy to be carrying your child. So you go off and have your mission and return to me safe and sound.

She gave a groan. Now, have a talk with your child and make him quit kicking his Mother.”'

Alexander chuckled and said in a stern tone of voice,

"You can stop that little one, Daddy is going away for a while and it is up to you to make Mama's life as easy as you can, stretch your legs if you must but do not kick so hard."

He then tapped Veronique's belly very gently as a warning,

"There my love let us just hope you carry an obedient child."

He gave a beaming smile as the kicking ceased and told Veronique,

"I must find Percy and tell him the news, when I return I hope to find you in a playful mood."
 
'Alexander, of course you must go. Every day comes a list of more people that lose their lives to Madam Guillotine. Just because I cannot go with you does not mean that you give it all up.'

"Thank you my love, I would go with a heavy heart if I did not have your blessing. As you say it should only take a few days and I will be home in plenty of time to welcome our little one into the world, just promise me that you will take care of yourself and not worry."

They were brave words he spoke for Veronique's benefit but he had a foreboding feeling that things would not go according to plan. Percy was an excellent planner but he was becoming more reckless with each mission. The one where Veronique had accompanied them had gone smoothly but it had been an enormous gamble to go to a chateau and demand that the prisoners be handed over, Veronique had played her part superbly it was her wit and quick thinking that had allayed any suspicions the guards might have had.

To confirm her assent to him leaving her for a while she kissed him and stroked his cheek with the palm of her hand,

'I love you so much, Alexander. So much more than I ever thought possible. And I am happy to be carrying your child. So you go off and have your mission and return to me safe and sound.

She gave a groan. Now, have a talk with your child and make him quit kicking his Mother.”'

Alexander chuckled and said in a stern tone of voice,

"You can stop that little one, Daddy is going away for a while and it is up to you to make Mama's life as easy as you can, stretch your legs if you must but do not kick so hard."

He then tapped Veronique's belly very gently as a warning,

"There my love let us just hope you carry an obedient child."

He gave a beaming smile as the kicking ceased and told Veronique,

"I must find Percy and tell him the news, when I return I hope to find you in a playful mood."
 
The rest of their visit to Henley On Thames was somewhat colored by the knowledge that Alexander would soon be leaving on another “adventure” into unstable France. The other unease was that he would be going with Percy.

A part of her still did not trust the man though she did try to hide it from her husband. She was sure however that he had noticed the rather frosty way she spoke to the man every time that their paths crossed in the small town.

Suffice to say that Alexander seemed happy and she was glad to know that he would be gone for only a few days. Meanwhile, her husband seemed to delight in showing her a good time, with more trips on the river, picnics around the countryside, afternoons exploring the town, seeing the house where he had spent a large portion of time, meeting what souls were still alive from his childhood, including a man that was about the same age as Alexander. The two of them had caused trouble as children chasing some old man’s chickens (that sounded just like Alexander) until the old man threatened to swat them with his switch. The old man was long dead but the childhood friend (Comfy, if she remembered his name correctly) had invited the two of them to his home for tea and to meet his wife - a rather homely woman with black hair and a prominent nose and the sweetest disposition - and their two children. The children took after their father (thank God) and ran playing in the yard while the adults sat in a gazebo so the two old friends could catch up with each other’s lives. Hester, Comfy’s wife, offer tips on motherhood and the afternoon soon passed. At least for that afternoon, she had no thoughts of Percy or of the upcoming trip into dangerous waters.

Their nights had been filled with gentle passion though she was aware how Alexander longed to take her with more enthusiasm. She too missed it but the swell of her belly and the baby within did not allow such things. Often she had memories of her one and only adventure with him. Of the two of them making love outside the cabin of that boat that ferried them back and forth. Of him pressing her back against the front of the cabin and taking her amidst the sea spray and the choppy waters. Of them being caught by the Comte and his wife as they coupled on the boat.

But soon it was time to leave. At least Veronique would be returning home less drawn looking thanks to her time away from the death of Bella. She dreaded stepping into the room again and did not know that it looked nothing like it had when they had left. The room was now completely empty, not even curtains remained, and Anna had ordered that it be painted a spring light green so that the morning sun seemed to burst in and wake the room up each day. It had been properly aired and gave no hint as to the sadness that it held in everyone’s memory. The staff had taken to calling it the green room.

With their trunks loaded on the carriage, she and Alexander said goodbye to his old friends and her new ones. In the doorway of the inn stood Percy and Caroline and Veronique smiled and waved at them before being helped into the carriage by her husband. But Alexander strode over to the two and kissed Caroline’s hand before giving his old friend a gruff hug. She thought that he said something to Percy but she did not question him as he crossed back to her and climbed in to settle down beside her.

Rapping his cane twice on the ceiling of the carriage, the driver cracked his whip and they headed home, Alexander drawing her against him.
 
Alexander spent the next few days entertaining his young wife with picnics on the picturesque riverside ad more boat trips in the bota provide free by Jeremiah the only thing he requested in payment was a kiss on the chee from Veronique which she seemed quite happy to give him.

One day they were wandering in the small town when Alexander was hailed by a gentleman around the same age as Alexander,

"Alexander you rogue, how is it you haven't called to see us, my wife will be delighted to provide refreshment for you and this lady whom I hope is your wife considering her condition."

"Why if it's not Comfy and you have the temerity to call me a rogue, you were always the ringleader in our boyhood escapades, remember chasing the chickens? We almost got a whipping because of you." They hugged and laughed heartily at the memory.

"Comfy allow me tp introduce my wife, Veronique, as you can see she is with child and that happened very soon after we married. So you are wed too, any children?"

"Aye Alexander, wed eight years now and two rapscallion boys of seven and six."

Good for you, we would love to meet the woman who finally tamed you."

They all linked arms and made their way to Comfy's home to be greeted by his wife, Hester who clucked with delight when she saw that Veronique was pregnant and after lunch they sat in the gazebo while the two young boys played in the garden and Hester monopolised Veronique passing on tips about motherhood and how to keep a tight rein on her husband. Alexander and Comfy reminisced on their boyhood together and they took tea and cakes before it was time to go with Alexander promising to return sooner rather than later and extending an invitation for Comfy and his family to visit them at the manor house.

As they slowly strolled back to the inn Alexander noticed how relaxed Veronique was, looking fresh and better than she had since Bella, As they approached the inn they saw Percy and he felt Veronique tense as she held his arm. It was so obvious that she still did not trust Percy but he said nothing.

The next morning they said their farewells to everyone, Alexander's old friends and Veronique's new ones. Alexander helped Veronique into the carriage and out of politeness rather than friendliness Veronique waved to Percy and Caroline standing in the doorway. Alexander strode over to Percy and Caroline and kissed her hand then a brief hug to Percy.

"I'll be waiting for your summons Percy."

Sitting in the carriage he rapped the roof with his cane,

"Drive on."

As the town disappeared behind them Alexander drew Veronique to him and began to unlace her bodice,

"'Tis a long trip and I need to keep my hands busy. He smiled as he held a firm milk filled breast in his hand.
 
Last edited:
The trip home was enjoyable and Alexander managed to keep him, and herself entertained. All too soon they were home, pulling up in the drive with half of the staff rushing out to greet them. Alexander alighted first and helped her out if the carriage, effectively turning her over to Anna.

“Oh, ma’am, we are so glad you are back. The baby has certainly grown. You were not gone that long but you look very rested.”

The entire time that she rushed Veronique up the stairs and into the bedroom, her maid seemed to be talking non-stop, asking questions and clicking over her like a mother hen. Meanwhile, Alexander apparently stayed downstairs talking to Claude about the running of the estate while they were gone.

“Now, you need to rest a bit before supper.”

“Goodness, Anna, I am not an invalid.”

“I know, but there is no need in wearing yourself out right now. Did you enjoy your trip?”

While Veronique undressed, Anna brought her up to date on the running of the house. One of the downstairs maids had managed to get herself pregnant by one of the servants and now the two were talking of tying the knot in a couple of months. Maybe. The servant wasn’t as sure about it as the maid. Seems that the maid also caught him kissing another maid. A new dog had turned up at the back door and seemed to be homeless and looking for attention. He fit in with the other canines and now went by the name of Bandit as he had been caught several times stealing food from the other dogs.

“And you and Claude?” Veronique noted the blush that rapidly came to the maid’s cheeks.

“Oh,...uh...well, of course we are doing...”. Her cheeks were a deep red. “He makes me happy. And he needs me. The man can run a farm, but he is completely lost when it comes to running his life.”

The two women talked as old friends and Anna eventually convinced Veronique to take at least lay down and rest while she hung up the clothes. Veronique protested but by the time that Anna had finished the unpack, she noted that the woman was laying on her side in her wrapper, softly snoring. The maid laid a light blanket over the sleeping form, pulled the curtains and quietly tiptoed out to find the Master.

She found him, busy in the study talking to Claude about the running of the estate. He paused as he spoke, looking to her to see what she wanted.

“The Mistress is napping right now. She seems so much better. The color is back in her cheeks. However, do you want me to summon the doctor to check her out or hold off on that?” She knew that if she had asked Veronique the woman would have said no in no uncertain terms. But she trusted the Master’s decisions.
 
Last edited:
Alexander played with Veronique most of the way home leaving her gasping as he played with her breasts and put his hand under her skirts to stroke her satin smooth skin but he refrained from taking her as he wanted to, afraid that the rocking of the carriage might cause her to fall and injure herself or the baby. In plenty of time before they arrived he ceased and helped to refasten the clothing that had become undone including his breeches, he was thankful he had worn an old pair as he had a large wet stain on the front but it would hopefully dry so as to be unnoticeable by the time they arrived home. Veronique sat fanning herself to calm herself and Alexander sat watching her with a big smile on his face.

The welcome they received from the household warmed his heart, he was so happy to have such loyal devoted servants. He helped Veronique from the carriage and before he could say a word Anna swooped taking charge of Veronique and spiriting her away, no doubt anxious to hear all about their trip and fill Veronique in on any juicy gossip. He had no qualms about Anna taking charge, she was like a mother to his wife and to a lesser extent, himself.

He spotted Claude Benson among the servants and called him over to ask about the estate.

"Not much to tell if the truth be known Sir, we caught a couple of poachers and after a sound whipping theys gorn, we caught a fox after the chickens but with some better wire and 'e couldn't get at 'em."

"And how about you and Anna are you still,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "

Claude interrupted him, "That we are Sir but Oi'd loike a word with your Lordship, sorta personal it is, could we............?" He looked around to see if anyone was within earshot.

"Let us go to my study Claude and you can tell me what is troubling you."

Alexander led the way to his study and ushered Claude in.

"Take a seat Claude and tell me your problem, Is it Anna? She's not with child is she?"

"Yes to the first and no to the second Sir, that is the problem, Oi wants a kiddie wiv 'er but she seems set against it and to be 'onest Sir she don't 'ave much time left if she does change her mind."

"I see Claude, 'tis a very delicate situation, let me ask you, have you discussed marriage at all?"

"WHA? Marriage? Why would oi want to get married for at my toime of life?"

"Maybe if you WERE married, Anna would be more receptive to having a child. Think on it Claude, think on it."

Claude looked bewildered, he had never contemplated marrying again after losing his first wife but what Lord Alexander said made sense, Anna was a good, god fearing woman, not a prude at all but it would bring disgrace on her to have a child out of wedlock, how had he not seen that?

Just at that moment Anna knocked and entered asking if she should call the doctor to examine her.

"I don't think that is necessary thank you Anna, the mistress has had an exciting day," He thought about their antics in the carriage, "Sleep is all she needs now, sleep and rest. If neither of you has anything pressing to do then take rest of the day off and for goodness sake, talk to each other."
 
It felt good to be home again, and she was surprised to find that despite her protests she fell asleep and managed to sleep for several hours. And when Anna woke her as the sun was setting, she was smiling and happy.

“What makes you so cheerful? It was just a little nap that I took.”

“I know. But a lot can happen in the space of a little nap.” And with that Anna just smiled and remained mysterious, stating that they would talk later.

The house seemed to be a wonderful hive of activity, with everyone telling her how her condition seemed to leave her with a glow. Even Alexander seemed to be upbeat, and she suspected that it was in part to the upcoming adventure that he would be taking with Percy.

The meal that the cook had set before them was even her favorite, a baked chicken instead of boiled. There was also leg of Mutton and a spice pudding, green peas and artichokes and oranges and strawberries and almonds.

The trip must have tired her more than she thought for several times as they sat in the sitting room after the meal she tried to hide a yawn despite having had a nap when they got home.

Finally Alexander gave a chuckle and pretended to be tired himself before escorting her off to bed. They made careful love, rather brief and abbreviated but sweet nevertheless. Then they drifted off to sleep with her curled on her side and him snuggled up behind her.

The next couple of days were nice. She and Alexander had a glorious time, almost as if they were still in that quaint little town where her husband played as a little boy. They made love. Alexander talked to the baby inside her, feeling it kick and move around. They talked over names - what should they call the baby if it was a girl. She of course, wanted her mother’s name - Vanessa Louise. And a Boy? Of course she figured that he would have definite ideas on that. But they made lists and discussed yays and nays of each one.

Anna finally told her the secret that she held. She and Claude were talking of marriage. Anna was so happy and Veronique was happy for her. Claude seemed happy if a little overwhelmed by all the attention.

She did sneak off one afternoon and looked in the room where Bella had been. It was totally empty - not even curtains to shut out the sun. She felt better about it. No ghosts to haunt her.

And then, one day, a figure appeared on the horizon. Even from a distance she knew who it was. In her mind she wished him away, wished the earth to open and swallow him up. Yet onwards he came until at last she could see Percy smiling at her.

As he deftly climbed down, she greeted him graciously.

“Sir Percy, good day. I assume that you are here to talk with my husband. Let us go inside. I am sure that he is anxious to see you. I do believe that he is in his study.”

Percy followed her inside, pausing while she knocked and heard Alexander call out.

“Percy is here. He wants to talk to you.”

She saw the look that passed over his face and knew what was coming. She kissed him and walked back out, ushering Percy in and closing the door behind her, leaving the two men alone inside to plan their next adventure.

The baby kicked and caused a stir inside her.
 
Now they were home again Alexander realised how much he had missed it, the daily routine of running the estate and still having time to regularly whisk Veronique away to some secluded place where he could undress her and admire her now plump body, he did not mind that she had lost her shape and that her belly was a large lump within which lay their child, Her breasts were full and firm and her nipples larger than normal when he suckled them, occasionally he could taste the warm milk from them that would one day soon be feeding their little one.

Not long after his conversation with Claude, he congratulated Claude on his forthcoming marriage to Anna but Claude seemed a little despondent.

"Whatever is the matter with you man? Soon you will be wed to your love and I understand she is willing to give you the child that you crave, the future is rosy."

Claude gave him a weak smile,

"That is true Sir but 'tis the waiting oi'm finding 'ard. Anna says she don't want no accidents before we tie the knot so we ain't indulging ourselves no more until we're wed."

Alexander chuckled at the poor man's predicament although he did have some sympathy for him.

"Difficult times I'm sure Claude but can you not persuade your intended to see to your needs and you to hers without..................?"

Claude brightened at that and exclaimed,

"That oi will Sir roight away."

"I admire your enthusiasm Claude but there is work to be done first, How many bales of hay do we need for the winter?"

**************

A few days later Alexander was in his study when Veronique knocked on the door,

"Come in my love , what is it?"

Veronique entered and kissed him as he gave her bottom a playful pinch.

'Percy is here. He wants to talk to you.'

A cloud briefly passed over his features, he had promised Percy that he would go on the next venture but Veronique was nearing her time and he didn't want to leave her.
Before Percy could speak Veronique left them alone not speaking to or even looking at Percy, she closed the door behind her none too gently and rattled the windows.

Alexander bade Percy sit and when he was settled Alexander pressed his finger tips together in front of him,

"Out with it Percy, when do we leave?"

"My dear friend I apologise for the short notice but we leave in two days."
 
Last edited:
“Two days?” She stopped and closed her eyes. “Really? Two days? You are only going to be gone for a couple of days. Correct?”

The rest of the days seemed colored with the knowledge that soon Alexander would disappear for several days. There would be some story that he had headed off to buy several head of cattle or a distant cousin needed aid or something in the way of a cover story. Only she would be aware of the true reason for his absence. Even Anna and Claude would not know the full truth.

She still lacked several weeks before the baby was due, but Alexander should certainly be back in plenty of time. Still, the arrival and departure of Percy certainly colored the rest of the day.

That night, the baby seemed especially restless, kicking and turning all night. And all that movement seemed to result in her needing to use the chamber pot several times that night, which required her waking Alexander to help her balance over the pot and not pee on the floor.

After the third time that night, she groaned as he helped her. “You are going to look forward to your adventure if for nothing else that to get a night of uninterrupted sleep.”

The last day before he left, she tried hard to be cheerful and sweet, not wanting to put any stress on Alexander. She didn’t want him worrying about her, for what he and the rest of the group would be doing would be dangerous and she wanted him to return home safely to her.

Even the evening meal that she had served was all his favorite foods. All day he had met with Claude and others explaining what needed to be done and when, checking over various areas of the estate where there were problems and what to keep an eye on.

That night in bed they held each other with him wrapping his arms around her to rest one hand on her swollen belly and one holding a milk-filled breast. With her bare back pressed against his bare front, his manhood slipped between her legs to rest up along her slit.

“Alexander, my love, my life, please be safe. I love you with all my heart and I will count the hours until you return to my side. Our baby will need his or her father so take care and come home to us. I do hope that your mission is a success but without any problems.”

For once since the past few days, the baby was quieter than in previous nights and she only got up twice to relieve herself. With Alexander’s lips kissing her neck and whispering his love in her ear, she was happy. Though she didn’t want him to go, she would not tell him that. If through their actions they could save one person, or one family, then it would be all for good.

When she awoke, the space beside her was cold and empty and she cried. Her heart ache as she whispered a prayer to God to watch over Alexander. Bring him home safe to me.

She knew that should Anna find her laying in bed crying she would send for the doctor, Veronique made herself get up and slipped on her wrapper as she crossed to look out the window. She knew that it was probably too late to see him but she looked anyway.

The land was slowly being washed over with morning light. Trees were beginning to turn colors of autumn, and the dawn air smelled sharp and crisp. From her second story vantage she could see far off into the horizon a small dot. It looked to be a figure on horseback and it seemed to pause, as if turning back to look. She didn’t know if it was Alexander - it could just as well be some lone traveler. Yet she raised her hand to wave even thought she knew she could not be seen. I love you ,Alexander! she whispered on the wind and she could almost swear that she heard ...love you, my love

And then the black dot was gone over the horizon and she heard the dogs barking in the yard as the manor seemed to stir awake.
 
So he had to leave in two days time, he wasn't too pleased about it, he had been hoping that it might come to nothing or be postponed until after Veronique had given birth but as it was he was now committed and nothing could be done about it, the only saving grace was that he would be back in plenty of time before the big day arrived.

Veronique took the news surprisingly well, making no complaint at the short notice but he could see the hurt and concern in her eyes.

"I too would have wished for longer to prepare but everything has been planned and the timing is critical, the person we are to set free will only be at a certain place for a few hours and we must be there before him ..... or her."

He trusted Veronique completely but he would not reveal any further details as the venture was fraught with danger and she would only worry if she knew.

Even the unborn child had its say that night, literally kicking up a fuss so that Veronique was up and down to relieve herself while he held her to keep her balance as she crouched over the pot container.

The next day Veronique spoilt him in her own sweet way, she woke him with her mouth and ensured that his evening meal was of his favourites. He did not have the opportunity to spend a great deal of time with Veronique much to his and her chagrin, there was much to do concerning the estate and most of the day was spent with Claude giving him explicit instructions that made Claude wonder why, as he had managed perfectly well while Lord Alexander was away with his wife.

Alexander spooned against Veronique's naked body as they lay in bed that night, one hand caressing her swollen belly, which seemed to calm the boisterous baby inside, the other cradled a large milk-filled breast. Whether it was by accident or intent Alexander didn't know but his cock was able to slip between her legs and rest along her furrow, when she moved slightly just his cock head parted her folds and entered her. He did not press her further although he knew it might well be the last time he would lay with her. Keeping such thoughts to himself he chastised himself,

'Do not be so foolish as to think such thoughts, you are not a defeatist. Think the worst and it will happen.'

During the night Veronique got up twice but she had told Alexander that she could manage by herself and he was to get all the rest he could. After the second time Alexander lay awake then he heard the very faint chime of the tall grandfather clock in the hallway chime three times. He checked that Veronique was asleep then slipped out bed and dressed by the light of the moon that filtered through the drapes at the windows. At the door he looked back at Veronique's now portly form, her head surrounded by a halo of tawny red hair. He blew a kiss to her in farewell, making a fervent prayer,

'Lord, keep her and our baby safe and if I may be so selfish as to ask you to look over me so I can return to them.'

He closed the door quietly behind him and silently made his way to the stables. An hour later he crested a hill that overlooked the mansion and the estate, he stopped and looked back and waved farewell wondering if Veronique might be at a window and waving back.
 
Last edited:
The next couple of days seemed like pure frustration without Alexander there. Funny how someone could worm their way into her heart and make themselves such an intricate part of her life in so short a time. Not quite a year yet without Alexander she somehow felt like a fish out of water.

Moving had become harder with her belly so large. It had been some time since she had seen her feet. And instead of the svelte figure that had married Alexander, it felt as if she had swallowed this huge boulder and it wouldn’t go any further down than her belly.

Often she would find herself standing, her gaze off in the distance instead of in the hear and now, wondering if Alexander was okay. Had he eaten well? Had the crossing over been safe and uneventful?

Doctor Fredrick dropped by to check up on his patient, spending quite a bit of time feeling her enormous belly and listening to the baby that grew inside her. Anna stood in for Alexander, watching and mentally taking note of what was said so that she could repeat it all back to the Master.

“What is wrong, Doctor?” Veronique noted the frown that passed over his face.

“Eh? Oh, uh nothing. I was just noting that you seem unusually large for as far along as you are. You might be having the child early.”

Her heart began beating fast, fairly thumping in her chest. The Doctor noticed this and tried to calm her down.

“Just calm down. I didn’t mean today. I notice that Alexander is not here. Is he alright?”

“He was called out of town for only a few days. He should be back either tomorrow or the next day. Plenty of time before the baby arrives. Correct?”

“Well, babies do not always follow the schedule that we set for them. Sometimes they come early, especially first time babies. But we shall worry about that when it happens. Just be ready for it any time.”

His words did not necessarily calm Anna’s fears and she would certainly be glad when the Master returned home. She couldn’t understand exactly why he had left so close to the Mistress’s due date. Something was going on, but her Ladyship was unusually quiet about the reasons. She didn’t think that it was that the two had argued. There was not that feeling to it all. Rather it seemed to be some secret that the Countess was determined to keep.

Nevertheless Anna escorted the Doctor out and returned to find the woman attempting to relieve herself. With her aid the finished before the woman thanked her and then waddled off. She suspected just where that woman was headed. After emptying the chamber pot, she headed off and was not surprised to find the Countess standing in the room where that Amabella woman had died.

Almost as soon as the Count and Countess had left for their little trip away, there were tales of the room being haunted. One morning the upstairs maid had rushed into the kitchen, her face as pale as a new sheet. She claimed that the bell had rung downstairs and without thinking just what room it was, she had rushed upstairs. Upon reaching the hall, she had noticed that the bedroom door was open and she thought that she heard the sound of groaning coming from there. As she entered, the sounds immediately stopped and there was suddenly a cold breeze rush through her. Yet the windows were closed, and all of this suddenly scared the girl. She turned and rushed out of the room, afraid that someone or something was behind her. She was just starting down the back stairs when she heard the door slam.

The story had run rampant through the servant’s quarters and most people avoided that area if at all possible. And normally she would have too. Yet now she suspected that that was where she would find her Mistress.

Veronique stood in the center of the room, the afternoon sun pouring through the bare windows and making rectangular patterns upon the bare wooden floor. She had just meant to walk past the room but the open door had seemed to draw her into the room.

“My Lady, you should not be in here,” Anna’s voice softly chided her.

“She did is not happy. She does not know where her baby is. She doesn’t know where her parents live now so she can’t find her child.” Veronique did not know why she said what she had said. The words had just seemed to tumble from her lips.

Anna gently led her from the room, closing the door after her. “The Count should return home tomorrow, is that not correct?” She wanted to get the woman’s mind off of that room.

“Yes, he should. I so miss Alexander.”

“I know, my Lady, we all do. Claude was just saying that the Master makes it look easy to run such a large estate. But I can tell you, Claude says that it isn’t.”

They were halfway down that flight of stairs when Anna heard the bedroom door slam. Her blood ran cold. She knew that she had closed that door.
 
Alexander had only left the manor house two hours ago and he was already regretting his decision to embark on this mission, although it was to save someone's life he didn't know that person and in all likelihood their death would not change the world they lived in. OH he understood that life was important to the person concerned but not to Alexander. As he rode onward towards Dover he debated in his mind whether to tell Percy that he had changed his mind and was returning home. In his mind's eye he could see Percy sneering at him and while not calling him a coward outright he would insinuate it in that barbed way with words that he had.

So it was that several hours later Alexander found himself standing in the shelter just forward of the wheelhouse the wind whipping spray over the plunging bow of 'DAYDREAM' which had been refitted since the night of the storm when Alexander so nearly lost his life. Alexander pulled his cloak tighter around him and remembered the last time he had stood on this very spot, Veronique had been in his arms and they were making love. How he wished he could have Veronique with him now, holding her and looking into her beautiful laughing eyes and kissing her soft inviting lips his hand creeping under her skirt and............ He shook his head to clear it of such images and made his way back to the day cabin where Percy and Sage, the third member of their party, were passing the time playing cards and as usual Percy was winning. He never seemed to lose and Alexander was sure he was cheating but he had never been able to work out how.

"Ah, Alexander, grab yourself a glass of brandy and I will tell you my plan." Percy greeted him cheerfully.

Percy spread out a map of Northern France on the table and pointed to a blank part of the map with no towns or villages anywhere close just a few miles from the coast,

"This is where we make our rescue, out in the wilds no revolutionary peasants about and just a few miles back to the coast, and our quarry, one called Pierre Lamont, not strictly an aristocrat but very well connected due to his profession, he is an accountant and respected banker, it is rumoured that he knows where at least half of the wealth of France is hidden and the peasants will do whatever they can to get the information out of him."

*****************

Twelve hours later they were laying in among the gorse alongside a lonely country road waiting for the small entourage to appear with Pierre Lamont at its centre.

"Here they come." Whispered Percy and as four horsemen appeared over the brow of the hill, they rose and threatened the riders holding their horses reins,

"Your names?" demanded Percy and the four peasants gave their names, none of which was Pierre Lamont,

"Where is Pierre Lamont?" Percy demanded angrily.

"He is with the main party, well guarded as he is valuable."

"Main party, what main party?"

"That one, I do believe." said Sage drily.

"RUN, RUN FOR THE COAST, WE'LL MEET LATER" Cried Percy as a column of around fifty men came into view and began firing their muskets at the three of them.

They scattered but fortunately the ones firing muskets weren't very accurate and Alexander found himself alone but out of range of the muskets. He knew that now he had to find shelter, somewhere to hide as the peasant army would be scouring the countryside.

The best he could do for now was head for the coast and avoid capture until it grew dark.
 
All day the next day, Veronique anticipated the arrival of Alexander. Sleep the night before had been restless with the baby kicking her awake almost as soon as she had drifted off asleep. As the day progressed, she would find herself looking out the window in the hopes of seeing Alexander cresting the hill.

By the time that the sun was setting, she worried that perhaps something had delayed the men from returning.

“My Lady, perhaps he will return tomorrow. He did say that it may take an extra day.” Anna voice was questioning and Veronique knew that the woman was curious as to exactly where Alexander had headed off to. But Veronique kept quiet as to where her husband had gone. She had made a promise to him to keep his secret, and keep it she would.

“Yes, you are correct. It is just a small delay. He shall probably return tomorrow.”

That night she thought that she was awaken to the sound of crying, yet once awake she heard nothing and decided that it must have been merely a dream. It was hard to get back to sleep, tossing and turning and frequently her hand would stray over to Alexander’s side of the bed, feeling the cold emptiness of the sheet without him. She knew that Anna was currently sharing her bed with Claude though the woman assured her that they were creatively sharing a bed. The maid assured her that precautions were being taken to ensure that there would not be any unwanted pregnancy. Instead, they assured her that once Veronique’s baby was born, then they would tie the knot. Veronique would certainly not have held such a thing against the woman or even Claude, but she applauded what they were doing.

The next morning she managed to drag herself from bed with the aid of Anna. The maid tried to remain chipper but Veronique’s back was killing her and she was glad when Anna offered to rub it to give her some relief. The relief was short lived.

Hopefully today Alexander would return. Yet something deep down inside her told her that he would not.
 
Alexander ran and ran, stumbling and falling every few paces in an effort to outdistance his pursuers. The gorse seemed to grab at his clothes, intent on slowing him down. The sounds of his pursuers slowly grew fainter, he stopped for a moment to look around and appeared to be alone. In which direction the coast lay he had no idea, he was lost in a hostile country and being hunted like a wild beast. Night was falling and he needed to find shelter for the night, so after regaining his breath and his heart stopped thumping in his chest he tried to work out the direction he should be heading in by using the stars and thanked the Lord that he had at least a rudimentary knowledge of the heavens.

He knew that SIRIUS, known as the Dog Star, was by far the brightest star in the night sky and early in the evening would appear in the South West so he sought it out with the folding telescope he carried and from there he worked out which way was North and led to the coast.

He trudged slowly and steadily through the gorse using the dim light give by the stars and the moon. By now he was tired, hungry and thirsty, his strength was seeping away when he heard the sound of rushing water. Following the sound he came across a small stream wending its way through a pile of rocks and running into a lake among the boulders. His thirst caused him to throw caution to the winds as he bent down at the lakeside to slake his thirst. This proved to be his undoing as the bank collapsed under him and he was floundering in the lake weighed down by his boots, sword and pistol. As he floundered Alexander's thoughts turned to Veronique and their unborn child, how would she cope if he did not return, not knowing what had befallen him?

He was on the brink of drowning when two pairs of hands grabbed him by the scruff of his collar and hauled him onto dry land. Two familiar faces looked down at him as he lay spluttering and vomiting water from his lungs. He heard Sage mutter,

"Even though tha stinks to high heaven this is no time t'be tekkin' a bath."

Percy was more concerned for him though,

"Thank the Lord you are alright ALEX,,,,,,,, ER Thistle, we thought that maybe you had been taken prisoner, Sage and I were wondering whether we should attempt a rescue but thankfully that is not necessary unless we make another attempt to free Monsieur Lamont."

When he had recovered sufficiently they took him to a well hidden cave where they had a small fire lit.

"We will have to stay here for at least a week as the DAYDREAM will have left by now and will not return for a week as I arranged."

"A WEEK?" Exclaimed Alexander, "Veronique will be out of her mind with worry."
 
Back
Top