YIKES! "Historic" Blizzard to Hit East Coast U.S.

As a former Philaburbian, I wish you well. I remember a blizzard in the mid-90s. The weight of the sn*w that drifted on our kitchen door cracked the bottom panel, which completely fascinated my 3-YO son. ("Snow IN, Mommy, Snow IN!")

I know you guys had horrible ice problems last week, too. My brother lives out near Phoenixville and simply refused to go outside for 2 days.

And yet I was sort of disappointed that the sn*w to our north was all melted away up in Sedona this weekend. It's pretty when it's on the peaks.

Thanks. :) My ice problems weren't too bad the other week, but we do try to be careful.

I guess the main thing to worry about is losing power. We have underground lines but that's no guarantee. At any rate this isn't as bad as all the sn*w we got last winter...
 
Get thee indoors all ye in the Northeast and stay there. Apparently this one comes with near-hurricane winds too.

Just intermittent rain thus far down in central Virginia and temps above freezing.
 
Got in five hours of work then headed home. The roads didn't start getting bad until a couple miles away from home. Just waiting for it to pile up enough to use the thrower on. It cut through 7 to 8 inches easily the other day. I should only need to clear the driveway twice tonight and tomorrow.
 
This discussion seems silly. If I lost power during a blizzard, the ability to bake would be ... oh, number 23 on my concerns list. Cooking is higher but heating has to be close to #1. During a summer storm, when a lightning strike knocked out an underground transformer in our neighborhood and we waited 36 hours to be restored, our BBQ grill (actually natural gas fed) became our cooking source including boiling water for Ramen soup and hot tea (no coffee).

Whatever direction this thread takes aside, I wish or New England members well. You can return the favor when the next big hurricane hits the Gulf coast.
 
So far, not much is happening except it's gotten colder and a few things have frozen (some slick spots in my driveway). But then I don't think it will really start until later. Sigh.
 
NYC area and I'm seeing squat. If this turns out to be a big bust its going to be ridiculous. But it smells like snow and it's eerily quiet and still. Calm before the storm?
 
Wing was whipping all night.

Looks like about 8" so far and its supposed to snow all day. The wind is what's really making it bad.

They put a travel ban in effect as of midnight which prompted the owner of my company to say we were closed today. First time he did in about fifteen years.

I'm lucky to be on the right side of the drifting, the house across the street has three foot drifts and there's part of my driveway that barely has a dusting:D
 
Baking? That's work!:eek:

My thing is about milk is if you lose power its going to go bad anyway....

Yeah, but the alcohol makes you warm and stops you worrying! Stick it on the stoop. It won't go bad there. Perhaps you'll have to thaw it.

Escaped from Logan just before they pulled the plug. Will be basking in+40F temps for a week in Europe.
 
Yeah, but the alcohol makes you warm and stops you worrying! Stick it on the stoop. It won't go bad there. Perhaps you'll have to thaw it.

Escaped from Logan just before they pulled the plug. Will be basking in+40F temps for a week in Europe.

My MIL flew out of Florida yesterday and landed in Logan at 6:20 last night she was one of the last half dozen flights allowed in.

Why the hell she didn't stay in Florida an extra tow or three days I have no idea.
 
We got just enough freezing rain to turn the roads into a skating rink last night, followed by a dusting of snow this morning.

We were on the absolute tail-tip of this thing.
 
I received a public alert on my phone yesterday. Dangerous rip tides - double red flags (illegal to enter the water) :rolleyes:
 
My MIL flew out of Florida yesterday and landed in Logan at 6:20 last night she was one of the last half dozen flights allowed in.

Why the hell she didn't stay in Florida an extra tow or three days I have no idea.

She's lucky she got in, and yes, staying might have been smarter.

My brother had gotten our parents a trip to Vegas and they were supposed to leave today, but it was of course very iffy for a while. Eventually it was something of a best-case scenario: the airline canceled the trip and since they canceled, they will refund my brother. Mom was relieved.

So we got what looks like an inch, maybe two. Far less than forecast at one point. Kids are somewhat disappointed, as it means only a delay for school instead of a snow day. ;)
 
She's lucky she got in, and yes, staying might have been smarter.

My brother had gotten our parents a trip to Vegas and they were supposed to leave today, but it was of course very iffy for a while. Eventually it was something of a best-case scenario: the airline canceled the trip and since they canceled, they will refund my brother. Mom was relieved.

So we got what looks like an inch, maybe two. Far less than forecast at one point. Kids are somewhat disappointed, as it means only a delay for school instead of a snow day. ;)

Supposedly it is going to snow all day here. A bunch of people at work already turned in papers to take vaca days today and tomorrow.

Today I get, but I think tomorrow-without even seeing what we'll have-is a little ridiculous. Then they complain they have no vacation time left late in the year.
 
Supposedly it is going to snow all day here. A bunch of people at work already turned in papers to take vaca days today and tomorrow.

Today I get, but I think tomorrow-without even seeing what we'll have-is a little ridiculous. Then they complain they have no vacation time left late in the year.

High winds are a major factor in differentiating blizzards from ordinary snow storms. They cause drifting long after the snow stops falling, hampering removal efforts. Even less than 10 inches can be a problem. I understand the wind will continue for a day or two after. In the Midwest, following Arctic cold is an extra issue.

Case in point. Our anniversary is January 8th. We went to Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, WI one year for 3 day stay. A six inch snow was followed by -27 temps and 30 mph winds. We were frozen in for 5 days. Police blocked the highway going east because plows could not keep the road open and stranded travelers could not be rescued. We had no maid service for 3 days, restaurant workers couldn't go home and bravely alternated shifts. The indoor pool was closed - fog created 3 foot visibility. We snuggled okay but were powerless to assist hubby's mother watching our 3 kids back home in similar conditions.
 
Non-event here in Jersey too. Six inches total? I shoveled by hand once last night before my brother came home from work and once again this morning so my sister could leave for work.

I feel like I'm being robbed of work hours and pay.
 
From my cozy Sierra Nevada viewpoint (0.05in of drizzle) it looks like the NE Superstorm shifted its trajectory north just a little, so New England bears the brunt rather than New Jersey and New York. Of course residents of the latter complain that their preparations were unnecessary. Right. ;)
 
I guess you could say it was snowing here now. I can see a flake falling every ten seconds or so.
 
I got fourteen inches from the storm, two inches more during the night. An inch fell today, and now they are saying a foot of the shit for Monday. The older I get, the worse the winters are. My driveway won't be clear until June. So thankful the power never went off.
 
Back
Top