The Official Authors' Hangout Valentine's Day 2018 Support Thread

I have spent the last 45 minutes or so trying to find the magic number of words that puts you on a second page. I did not see it in the stickies. Does anyone know off hand?

This little hunt has been an excellent exercise in procrastination.

Thanks!

I have spent the last 45 minutes or so trying to find the magic number of words that puts you on a second page. I did not see it in the stickies. Does anyone know off hand?

This little hunt has been an excellent exercise in procrastination.

Thanks!

One page is Around 3500 words give or take a bit.

And I got "Screw Your Roses, Asshole" finished and submitted. Now it's going to be a crazy couple of weeks finishing "Fields of Gold" before the deadline.

Last edited:
One page is Around 3500 words give or take a bit.

And I got "Screw Your Roses, Asshole" finished and submitted. Now it's going to be a crazy couple of weeks finishing "Fields of Gold" before the deadline.
Thank you!

And congrats on finishing your entry. I get interrupted about eight times an evening, so it is slow going here.

Thank you!

And congrats on finishing your entry. I get interrupted about eight times an evening, so it is slow going here.

Thanks, it was a crazy day. Pounded out 3k words early this morning, then another 5k after I got home, then formatting and submitting and it's going to have typos I'm sure and I won't see them until tomorrow. Now, sleep... early!

Thanks, it was a crazy day. Pounded out 3k words early this morning, then another 5k after I got home, then formatting and submitting and it's going to have typos I'm sure and I won't see them until tomorrow. Now, sleep... early!

Impressive! I wish I could do that. I write that fast only in very short bursts these days.

I also just finished my entry (it will be my only one), editing tomorrow and then I will submit it. A bit too late to get all the final details done tonight.

Good luck to those still writing, I think I will be taking a while off after this.

3,750 is more accurate (based on advice over the years from those who count lots).

Yes it is. But if you use significant amounts of short dialogue with line spaces between, the number of words per Lit page will be lower than 3,750.

How are the view and votes counts going?

It looks like there was a sweep today. Some of my recent stories had a vote removed.

Are the readers in a Valentine's Day mood? My story from last year has been picking up votes at an unusual rate--five in the last couple days, which seems unusual for a year-old story.

All right, mine is in so congratulations to all of you, you are guaranteed to not come in last!

No sweep for me; I didn't see any change.

People keep reading my story, but for some reason, the voting has stopped. It did very well, 1 vote out of every 40 reads, but since yesterday morning, nothing...

I saw an across the board sweep a day or two ago that saw the ratings on almost all my old stories jump, some by quite a lot so I guess there was a purge of suspect. Votes which was nice to see.

Voting? For this first story I'm getting about one vote per 200 views, which is my lowest ever. On the other hand, the views are coming fast.... anyhow, early days and I'm just glad I got it in so now I can focus on the next one. Updated my outline yesterday so now I'm good to go - the plot's in my head and it's very linear and far more action and story than sex. More of a novella than anything I guess, the way it's shaping up. Anyhow, that's just me burbling in the middle of the night. Back to sleep for a while now and then work. Yawn!

Last edited:
Cool. Going for a third as well?

Possibly. I have a new one in progress close to 3,000 words but I'm not convinced yet that it is good enough. I also have two part-written ones started in 2018 and over a dozen older ones that might work.

The more stories I post in a contest the fewer part-completed ones I have the Muses nagging me to complete. It is easier to alter a part-finished story to fit the Valentine's Day contests than for April Fool...

Good luck. You chose LW for Valentines? That's brave :rose:

I did chose that, and it’s going spectacularly!

3.23 after 90 votes!

You can’t have a history making comeback of you don’t fall way behind......

I’ve got you all right where I want you!

Finally off of the Block that has been holding back new fiction for a few months. I have a story of Incest, Food and Flavors that I began years ago chugging along nicely and at a pace that I think I can finish up before the contest deadline. It’s good to once again have characters in my head when I wake up in the morning.

Working title is “Umami? Oo Mommy!”

Good luck, votes, and feedback to all who enter.

3.23 after 90 votes!

Snorts coffee. Way to go, Soma.

Finally off of the Block that has been holding back new fiction for a few months. I have a story of Incest, Food and Flavors that I began years ago chugging along nicely and at a pace that I think I can finish up before the contest deadline. It’s good to once again have characters in my head when I wake up in the morning.

Working title is “Umami? Oo Mommy!”

Good luck, votes, and feedback to all who enter.

See you at the finish line coz my next one will be down to the wire too.

3.23 after 90 votes!

Hey, no fair! I was using that strategy:rolleyes:

Hey, no fair! I was using that strategy:rolleyes:

I had been aiming for the lowest rating in a themed contest for years.

I had to disqualify myself from the Authors' Hangout Last Place (tm) Contest because I found it too easy to get abysmal ratings.

I think my next entry for this contest will be the one to reach my goal of below 3.00 :)

I had been aiming for the lowest rating in a themed contest for years.

I had to disqualify myself from the Authors' Hangout Last Place (tm) Contest because I found it too easy to get abysmal ratings.

I think my next entry for this contest will be the one to reach my goal of below 3.00 :)

By next one, do you mean another one in addition to the one that went up today? I hope that's what you mean, 'cause I just read Magic Lamp before I wrote my comment above...I think I may have already ruined your plan if that's the "next one" you meant....sorry, if I messed up again :eek:

By next one, do you mean another one in addition to the one that went up today? I hope that's what you mean, 'cause I just read Magic Lamp before I wrote my comment above...I think I may have already ruined your plan if that's the "next one" you meant....sorry, if I messed up again :eek:

Thanks for your kind comment.

No. The possible vote loser would be my third entry to this contest. It is already showing signs of being a stinker. :eek:

Back