What Are You Listening To Now? 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well of course, it's very much a "horses for courses" question, but my personal feeling is that the best way to get into Genesis would be "Selling England By The Pound," then "Nursery Cryme", and then "Foxtrot". I think those are their top 3. They're all available on YouTube, which (along with Bandcamp) has become my standard "try before you buy" medium. Then after those, perhaps try "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".

And with those, along with what you already have, you've covered their best work. I believe that once you've absorbed those 3 albums, you'll quickly see why cynics accuse Fish-era Marillion, as well as Arena (Mick Pointer's Marillion spin-off), and Pendragon, and IQ et al, of being Genesis clones wannabes.

My (somewhat cynical) position is that the later Genesis albums, particularly in the post-Gabriel era, are just good pop and don't have the edge or the creativity that defined the earlier albums.

And BTW - you gotta try this öOoOoOoOoOo - Samen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnfz_BJTjCw&feature=youtu.be

I have "Nursery Crymes" and "Selling England..." in my collection already. :) Yes, I can see where the accusations come from, but on the other hand - by the time Marillion got big, Genesis were a pop act, no matter what Rutherford, Collins and Banks say. Don't get me wrong, "Invisible Touch still is my go-to shower sing-along record :)

I'll check out your suggestion and report back.

Wow. Iwrestledabearonce are having a sloppy orgy with Devin Townsend and Cynic, plus lots of other insanity. Fun.
 
Last edited:
I have "Nursery Crymes" and "Selling England..." in my collection already. :)
...

Ah - you're ahead of me, then. (I should have guessed that :) )

...by the time Marillion got big, Genesis were a pop act, no matter what Rutherford, Collins and Banks say...

We're on the same page.






I don't have a lot of listening-time available to me right now (work-work! :( ), but I'm going through a "top-25-of-2016" list that a friend put together. This guy is heavily into the avant-garde metal genre, and I'm usually very interested in his recommendations. So far I'm finding a lot that doesn't appeal, but I'll let you know if I find any diamonds in this bag of dust...
 
The Ballad of Jenny Ledge

Toy Matinee

Rest in Peace, dear Kevin Gilbert. I often wonder what the musical landscape would have been like had Kevin not died so sadly and tragically young.
 
Ocean of Stars

Dave Kerzner

Gorgeously beautiful song from his fantastic album "New World"
 
Working from home today, listened up a storm! I've been going through YouTube and Bandcamp
samples of a friend's top-25-of-2016, on a "try-before-I-buy" basis:

First up:

Q'uq'umatz - Tepeu - Meh
 
Terra Tenebrosa - The Reverses - Might be good if I could hear it properly - but their YouTube samples are terrible.
 
Last edited:
Adeia - Serenity - Quite good - trying to capture the dirty/clean vocals style of metal, with a fair measure of success. (A cello featured in metal? Gotta love that!) The YouTube sample is very badly mixed. I might enjoy the studio recording. their previous album seemed to be good - nice ideas, interesting (if not 100% successful) arrangements...
 
Last edited:
Not Coming Down

Sound of Contact

Simon Collins (Phil's son) band with Dave Kerzner on keyboards, scary how much (voice and drums) Simon sounds like his father, but he is definitely his own musician.
 
Lamashtu - Falina Sjalar - Just heard a sample, and want to hear more. Seems to be worth researching.
 
Last edited:
Misanthropic Rage - Qualia (EP) - A Polish act I hadn’t heard before. Quite good
 
Last edited:
Eiswerk - Kameraden des Todes - Interesting, very good, a nice new discovery. It’s clearly black metal, but there’s a lot of tonal variety. The tempo changes and style switches are well handled and the whole album is cohesive and reasonably approachable. A friend calls it “Genre-hopping circusy madness “. Must-buy
 
Adeia - Serenity - Quite good - trying to capture the dirty/clean vocals style of metal, with a fair measure of success. (A cello featured in metal? Gotta love that!) The YouTube sample is very badly mixed. I might enjoy the studio recording. their previous album seemed to be good - nice ideas, interesting (if not 100% successful) arrangements...

Your description has me incredibly interested in this one - thanks Neil! And good evening to you
 
Virus - Memento Collider - Another strange one that’s hard to categorize. But I get the feeling these guys are trying too hard to be different for the sake of being different. It’s an interesting soundscape - very high energy with instruments and sound effects that, in my opinion, often fail to gel into any sort of cohesive unit.
 
Jute Gyte - Perdurance – Another one that’s pretty linear black metal for the most part BUT tries hard to introduce unusual elements, with … varied success.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top