The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's that orchid I was talking about last night. I'm always amazed that so ugly a plant can flower like this.

neworchid001.jpg

Nappy rash cream for two days, but OK now. :D

Oh, and my new tyre arrived in the post. I'm velomobile again!

Isn't it wonderful how you are all better in time to get back on the bike!

Pint of cider tonight? I have a bit of time before dinner...

I love the term 'nappy.' It sounds so much cuter!

I found a silly article about word differences between the US and UK that applies to mountain biking. Maybe you've read it.

http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/Chippendale/usuk.html

made me giggle.

Oh thank you so much for that. Had me laughing aloud.

The dreaded word "bonk" has made it into Cycling Plus magazine which I subscribe to, but I couldn't bring myself to use it myself as to me it's a childish word for a fuck.

EDITED:

So what does "wanker" mean in the US, if it doesn't mean someone who partakes solely in masturbation (with the implication it's because they can't attract a partner)?

Last edited:
Oh thank you so much for that. Had me laughing aloud.

The dreaded word "bonk" has made it into Cycling Plus magazine which I subscribe to, but I couldn't bring myself to use it myself as to me it's a childish word for a fuck.

EDITED:

So what does "wanker" mean in the US, if it doesn't mean someone who partakes solely in masturbation (with the implication it's because they can't attract a partner)?

I always thought "wanker" meant just what you said. Hm. What inspired me was the word "fanny." Plus a part of my family lived in Scotland for a few years. He told me of all the verbal mishaps he had like saying he needed to buy a new pair of "pants." Everyone laughed at him.

:D

I always thought "wanker" meant just what you said. Hm. What inspired me was the word "fanny." Plus a part of my family lived in Scotland for a few years. He told me of all the verbal mishaps he had like saying he needed to buy a new pair of "pants." Everyone laughed at him.

:D

It was the mention in the article of a magazine running a cover story that asked "Are you a cycling wanker?" that made me ask.

Yes, it's strange how fanny means a ladies backside in the US, but quite the opposite side of her anatomy over here!

Although not likely to come up in cycling circles, a Brit going into an American stationers to buy a rubber (eraser) would get some odd looks (or even thrown out as a pervert).

It was the mention in the article of a magazine running a cover story that asked "Are you a cycling wanker?" that made me ask.

Yes, it's strange how fanny means a ladies backside in the US, but quite the opposite side of her anatomy over here!

Although not likely to come up in cycling circles, a Brit going into an American stationers to buy a rubber (eraser) would get some odd looks (or even thrown out as a pervert).

True that. Here's a caption from another article about swear words from the BBC.

A term of abuse that is all-but completely lost on Americans is 'w****r', derived from the word 'w**k', to rhyme with 'tank', which is a term for masturbation. Often used to denote a stupid person, it has been heard in American shows such as Miami Vice and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, spoken by characters allegedly from London (cf 'tosser'). The adjective 'w***ered' is often used by Brits (usually Londoners or people who have lived in London for some time) to mean 'extremely drunk'.

Here's the link to the article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A753527

I liked this one, too, though it's a bit of a read.
:cattail:

True that. Here's a caption from another article about swear words from the BBC.

One national difference that has intrigued me for some time is the fact that the French can use the word "con" as a very mild term of abuse, maybe equivalent to "silly sod," whereas "cunt" is one of the strongest terms of abuse in British English.

Oh I do wish that script writers would get it right!.

There is (or maybe was) a firm making computer terminals, called WANG. the terminals weren't bad as terminals go, but nothing special, unless some special arrangements were made.
The firm decided they were going to really market the concept of post-sales support and after a lot of head-scratching and expensive colour printing produced the final document; a leaflet praising the firms commitment to its customers.
Quite by chance, they showed it to an English contractor, working at the site. He could not restrain his laughter and it was some while before he explained that WANG CARE was all too easily misinterpreted in the UK.

Oh the fun of two nations separated by a common languge.

Oh I do wish that script writers would get it right!.

There is (or maybe was) a firm making computer terminals, called WANG. the terminals weren't bad as terminals go, but nothing special, unless some special arrangements were made.
The firm decided they were going to really market the concept of post-sales support and after a lot of head-scratching and expensive colour printing produced the final document; a leaflet praising the firms commitment to its customers.
Quite by chance, they showed it to an English contractor, working at the site. He could not restrain his laughter and it was some while before he explained that WANG CARE was all too easily misinterpreted in the UK.

Oh the fun of two nations separated by a common languge.

That kind of stuff fascinates me. I love trying to figure out where words came from and their different uses. I can be quite nerdy at times. :eek:

Thanks for that one as well. I enjoyed reading it. It reminded me of a few words I'd forgotten, including the Scots "fud" for a lady's genitals.

'Tis gone midnight here, now, so I had best go rest my weary head. In the absence of a sweet lady to rest it against, I suppose a pillow will have to do. :(

(My wife's off in London at a meeting, and Son'n'Heir is camping with his school class so I've got the place to myself.)

Thanks for that one as well. I enjoyed reading it. It reminded me of a few words I'd forgotten, including the Scots "fud" for a lady's genitals.

'Tis gone midnight here, now, so I had best go rest my weary head. In the absence of a sweet lady to rest it against, I suppose a pillow will have to do. :(

(My wife's off in London at a meeting, and Son'n'Heir is camping with his school class so I've got the place to myself.)

relax and enjoy the peace.
It never lasts long. . .

Why is this thread so low on the page? Where is everybody? :eek:

I guess I'll have a mug of ale and relax on the couch. Perhaps a beautiful woman will join me for a meaningful conversation...and a snuggle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back