If Earth Should Die Before I Wake

Ray decided the other ship could wait for a little while. He needed to fix up a few things on this ship first. The cameras needed fixing and that was his first job. It was a simple matter so he was able to do it without having to call in Sanne but if they were going to stay here he was going to need her expertise to rig up the village to the power generator and do all the wiring in the houses. He only needed her to explain to him how to do it and guide him through it once and then it would be imprinted in his brain but he would still need that initial run through.

It took him several hours but eventually he had all the cameras running and the docking bay doors opening and closing easily via the remotes in the vehicles. His new upgrade helped immensely and he was glad he had taken the time to get it done. Then he made a list of everything they would need to repair the ship. He checked the engines again and he could still find nothing wrong with them. Aside from being a bit dinged up due to the harsh landing they were fine. He would be able to repair them without any problems himself. The main engines were also in good shape but the particle drive system and the anti matter drive could use some spare parts. Also their were two key components missing. If he didn't find those they were stuck. They rest was cosmetic. He could strip the other ship of it's sheeting easily and use it to patch the hull. It was going to take some time though so his first priority would be to search for those engine parts.It would be pointless without them.

He jumped on an Atv and began his journey out towards the crash site.

Rivers couldn’t get used to the day / night sequence on this new planet. Not only were there two moons (neither as big or as bright as Earth’s) but sunrise was very slow. So slow in fact that she and the other newcomers experienced a false dawn! But finally day arrived.

Crixus Prime shared the information he had gleaned and his concerns over Sister Mary Grace. She thanked the robot and felt foolish speaking to a machine but she shook that off with a smile.

Asking where Ray was she waited his return.
 
Hewitt had been slightly disappointed after some initial hot and heavy with Shade had become a snooze fest, literally...The other woman's day must've finally caught up with her. Hewitt and Shade made out and fondled but ended up doing little more than that in the comfortable bed, both falling asleep in each other's arms.

By morning Hewitt awoke to several missed telephone messages and realized they'd forgotten to bring the redhead the clothes...She handed the pile off to Sky when he came by in the morning and then padded off to Shade's kitchen to make some breakfast for Shade and herself.
 
Sometime early in the morning, Ulrich was awakened by blood curdling screams coming from next door. He sprung from bed and rushed into the guestroom. He shook Mary but she wouldn't wake up. She continued to thrash and cry out.

He slipped behind her and tried to hold her in his arms. Ulrich searched for a way into her brain to help calm her down. Mary was in the grasp of something very bad and he needed a way in. As be fought to hold her, he exclaimed. "Damn it, Mary, let me help!"

Ulrich found a small opening and squeezed his way inside Ally's mind past the defenses. He saw her crying and naked. "I'm here for you, Mary. You're going to be alright. Just relax and sleep." He walked towards her, knelt down and wrapped a blanket around her shoulders.

They were back in his house with Mary quieted down and relaxed in his arms. Ulrich was exhausted from fighting his way into her mind and leaned back against the wall and fell asleep.
 
Mary awoke, and found that she lie beneath a tangle of blankets, on the floor, against Ulrich who looked exhausted as his eyes fluttered open and met hers.

She shivered and a heated blush crept over her, quickly regulated by her overskin... "...Oh no...I...I got stuck in one of those nightmares again, didn't I?" She asked self consciously. "How much did you hear? See?...Maybe I should explain... " she began, stammering slightly as she tried to push the memories away yet recalled them so vividly.
 
Ulrich felt Mary stirring in his arms and opened his eyes. He was embarrassed that he'd fallen asleep with her. "I'm sorry! I heard you screaming. 'No stop! I don't want that!" I ran in here and found you thrashing about in your bed with the covers all off of you. I tried to wake you up, but couldn't. I was afraid you would fall off the bed, so I tried to hold you but you were fighting me." He shifted his weight and looked in her eyes.

He took a deep breath and continued, "I tried to get into your mind to help you, but your skin makes it hard... unless you allow me in. I cursed at you and told you to let me in. There was a small opening, but you still resisted and I had to use more energy to get in. It's like you wanted help, but were ashamed to let me in." Ulrich was sad for what she had to go through.

"I found a younger version of you naked and crying. Your hair was a mess and your face was stained with tears. I just wrapped you up in a blanket and held you." When I came back out here, I was just too tired to make it back to my bed, Mary. Besides you were so at peace, I was afraid to leave you." Ulrich looked at her and smiled. "I'm sorry if I messed anything up for you."
 
"I have those nightmares regularly...I've never had help getting through it before...I'm a bit embarrassed." She said, moving to cover up more using the blanket entangling her pale legs. "Thank you, Ulrich. I'm sorry I interrupted your sleep." Said Mary sheepishly, trying to shake Kyle's sneer out of her mind, and Jack, and Mike, and Felix...She just HAD to get herself together.

She was so ashamed that with all of her training and self discipline she still couldn't master her unconscious mind and its asshole way of choosing the worst possible times imaginable to remind her of the worst moment of her life and the year of helll thereafter. Eleven. Gosh, time has flied, eleven. He'd be eleven going on twelve...Her posture softened as it recalled the soft weight of a seven pound bundle against her, squirmy and warm, needing her...no, not her specifically...He'd be fine without her. Better, even. Yes, with a mother who can look into his little face and see a miracle instead of a curse. He deserved better...That was how she tried to look at it...He'd be twelve soon, perhaps already as tall as her, nearly adolescent. Mary felt pride and shame interwoven at this stream of consciousness, still working hard to tame these wild memories.
 
Last edited:
"I'm just glad I could help, Mary!" Her beautiful body was so close to him and memories of her exposed lower half flailing on the bed was coming back to his mind. Those thoughts coupled with the morning hour, Ulrich's body was betraying him. He shifted his weight to keep from exposing his excitement.

Ulrich saw the number 12 in Mary's thoughts, but just as he was starting to see more, a knock came on the door from the sheriff's office. Mary's mind closed and nothing else came from her. "I should let you get dressed, that's probably Sky back with the clothes for to use until your captain can bring you later from your ship."

He slide out from behind Mary and tried to exit the room as quickly as possible. He went to the door and had Sky hand him the pile of clothes, being careful to conceal his problem. Ulrich came back and placed the pile on a chair at the door. "I hope there's something decent for you to wear. I'll go make us some breakfast." He quickly exited the room.
 
Mary rose from her spot on the floor once Ulrich closed the door behind him and perused the pile of clothing. She found a pair of leopard print capri length leggings and a black, short sleeved dress which came to mid thigh to fit her. The rest, excluding a soft dark green sweatshirt, seemed a bit tight. The shoes we're a pair of copper colored slip on shoes which we're a half size big and flopped a little on her feet but not unbearably.

Once dressed, Mary brushed her tangled hair and headed into to living area to find Ulrich was finishing cooking breakfast. The smell of coffee brewing drew her first. " Mmm, I'm so glad your ancestors brought coffee source plants with them. Living so far from Earth is hard enough. Without coffee I think I'd go mad!" she joked.
 
Last edited:
Ulrich looked up and smiled as Mary entered the room. He was finishing up the pancakes. He poured her a mug of freshly ground coffee. "They did bring a few luxuries from Earth. I have some fresh strawberries for your pancakes and we have sugar too. But unfortunately they could get any cows on the ship, so I only have soy or almond milk to offer you for your coffee."

He put the plate of pancakes and bowl of strawberries on the table. He went to the cold storage unit and pulled out containers of orange juice, almond and soy milk and a bowl of whipped cream made from almond milk. He pulled the chair out for Mary. "Please join me and tell me more about Earth, I've only read about it on my computer."
 
"Oh, strawberries!" Mary exclaimed, taking her seat. "I'm OK with black coffee, one sugar, thanks. Thank you for breakfast. " she added. Silently, she closed her eyes and thanked the Creator for their bounty before digging in. After a few bites and a sip of coffee she began telling Ulrich about how Earth had changed since his books and century old computer documentaries had been produced. He seemed rapt and attentive to every word. Finally, she turned it back to him, "So, tell me about the original settlers here and their relationship with the aliens. What have you learned about the aliens so far?" she asked.
 
Back
Top