The Stranger (Closed for heartofcourage)

Jennifer looked at him with a grin on her face as he asked rapid fire questions. Shaking her head, she took the food that she’d selected and moved to pay for it. Glancing over her shoulder, she laughed softly at the stunned look on his face.

“If I told you it would ruin the fun. Maybe you need to Google my name and find out for yourself.” She said in a cheeky fashion.
 
He followed her, motioning at the cashier that the meal will be on him,

"Well come along miss Collins and you can teach me what this Google is."

He gave her a grin and moved over to a table, taking a seat, he spread the food and drink out and tugged into the vegetables first.

"And yes I was serious about the Google idea, when I try to search anything I get everything except what I've been looking for. I'm totally technologically impaired."
 
Jennifer laughed softly as she started to eat the delicious chicken that was on her plate. It was nice to be with a man that didn’t want her solely for her name or what films she’d been in. Dave was a nice breath of fresh air.

“Is that so?” She asked, reaching into her pocket and pulling out her smart phone. A few touches of the buttons later and she’d typed her name into Google.

“Here.” She said, sliding the phone across the table at him so he could see what the results had turned up.
 
He looked at the screen and carefully navigated to a link and clicked, it opened and he started reading,

"Jennifer Collins, probably best known for her portrayal of Queen Anne in the blockbuster of the same name. Critics acclaimed this movie to be the best work of art to cross the silver screen in the past five years."

He glanced up at her,

"Never heard of that movie to be honest."

He read further and clicked on the link to her filmography,

"Ah let's see... October Fresh, Romance. One heart, Romance. Odd Jess, Romantic Comedy. Odd Thomas, Drama."

He paused,

"Is this Odd Thomas anything like the book? I have read the book."
 
Jennifer nearly choked on her bite of food when Dave told her that he’d never seen her movies. Picking up her napkin, she gently dabbed at her lips as he continued reading. She wasn’t proud of her early works, mostly romance and romantic comedies but she had proven to the critics that she wasn’t a piece of fluff with her performance in Odd Thomas.

“It is based on the book. It was one of my favorite roles.” She said as he finally recognized something that she was in. “I was so different from shooting romance and comedies that I jumped at the chance to star in it.”
 
"Ah, well then I should watch it. Story Lwellyn or another character?"

He grinned and went on down the list of her movies,

"It seemed like you got starred in a lot more romances and rom-coms before they actually started to take you serious. Dramas and even a Thriller..."

He looked at her again,

"Surely not one of the daft girls who goes out to go look why there is a scuffing sound outside?"
 
“Lwellyn.” She said with a large smile. “But don’t watch it just because of me.” It was nice to talk to a man that didn’t fawn and drool all over her. How had she found the one man out there that hadn’t seen her films?

“Oh, yes. One of those girls that runs up the stairs when she should be running out the door.” Laughing along with Dave, Jennifer watching him reading through her list of films. Really? Not a single one rang a bell? Well, that was certainly interesting.
 
He reached the end of the list of films and handed the phone back to her,

"Well then, being in love with Mr Koontz' work, I will take the time to watch the movie and see how you look as a brunette."

He smiled at her and started on his own meal,

"It's quite a surprise to find you here to be honest, I have been just recalled from my patrol duty and they usually don't do that since I'm the only one willing to go patrolling the South border."
 
“I really don’t know what’s going on. They say that we need a Ranger with us while we shoot and something about you being the only one that they trusted with this many people.” She shrugged as he asked why he was chosen. “Although, it’s really nice to see you again. I think I’m looking forward to this shoot.”
 
"This many people?"

He froze,

"It only now occured to me. Movie, actress...there will be a lot of people on the crew and of course staff to handle the shoot."

He sighed,

"If this is punishment from the reserve PRO he did it right."

He chuckled,

"Well at least I get to see you again, that counts for something and since we'll most probably work in the same area there seems to a bit more gold to my cloud."

He started eating again,

"It's nothing personal, my personal skills is a bit lacking, I don't do well with big groups."
 
Smiling as he panicked about the amount of people on the film shoot, she actually blushed as he told her that it would be nice to see her again. She felt bad that he was uncomfortable around large groups but she made it her mission to make sure that he didn’t shrink away from her during her time at the reserve.

“Oh, and I wanted to thank you for the suggestion on the lovely bed and breakfast. I had the best time there.”
 
He nodded,

"They do quite well there, not the fanciest of places as you have clearly noticed, but it is a good place to make a living, father farms, mother runs a nice Bed and Breakfast and the son works out in the field."

He grinned at her,

"I noticed in the article that I read that you started out with modeling, why did you leave that behind?"
 
She laughed as he mentioned her past modeling career. “It was too hard and wouldn’t take me anywhere. If you’ve ever been in a career that has just dead ended, it’s about the worst thing in the world.”

“I love what I do and I’ve never had any regrets.” She smiled for him, truly enjoying his company.
 
He nodded as he listened to her,

"Would have thought that you get to see the world and of course pose for some hot guy behind a camera."

He smiled and tapped the name of the Reserve on his chest,

"Dead end, but I love it."

He gave her a wink and finished his meal and glanced at his watch, looking at her as she ate.

"Of course there is some perks, not every day you get to spend time in the field without some silly tourist asking rapid fire questions about a dung beetle."
 
He made her laugh and that was a lot to ask for from a man. He was also certainly handsome and Jennifer was a woman that appreciated the beauty of a man.

“When it’s a job that you enjoy, that’s completely different.” She answered back as he finished his meal and glanced at his watch. “It’s not so much work anymore at that point.”

Finishing her meal, she sat back on her seat and watched him for a long moment. “Well, Mr. Park Ranger, maybe you could show me some animals while I’m here.”
 
"Sure, there is a camp here where we have more tamer animals, I can get you up close and personal with a few of the herbivores. Just tell me where to find you and I will take you to the camp before sunset, tonight I will have to get supplies ready."

He leaned back in his chair resting his fists over his eyes,

"Ugh loads of people, no drivers, no extra vehicles, well..."

He gave her a grin,

"Your producer will just have to offer up some space and prepare to get his van dirty. I shall be seeing you later miss Collins?"
 
“I don’t mind offering up mine for service either.” She said, grinning as he asked if he’d be seeing her later. “I look forward to it. I’ve always found something peaceful about being in nature so I’ve been excited ever since I found out that we were coming here. Maybe you can help me to love it all the more.”
 
He paused for a few moments, if one wanted to, there was a double meaning in her words, but instead he smiled and took the words at face value,

"I'm sure that hand feeding a gazelle would make you love the precious animals so much more."

He gave her a wink and left, in the office he met the producer and Jennifer's agent, after a long discussion about what they needed, Dave placed his problems and of course rules down on the table. The Park Manager of course tried to wiggle Dave from his stance, but Dave was stoic, if they wanted to use him, he would have his way, if not, he can always fall back on his contract and the appendix that stated that Dave never had to work with more than three tourists at a time. It was some time later when the meeting came to an end and Dave left the office, it was going to be a harrowing experience, but if it could all go according to plan, he wouldn't have to resign after the filming was done.
 
The sun was setting as Jen was finally shown to a little cabin on the reserve’s property. It was probably for a ranger to stay in, but the manager had told her she could use it while she was staying there. It was a kind gesture and she thanked him profusely, telling him that she would most definitely make a donation to the preserve’s cause.

Leaning against the railing of the porch, she looked over the property as the sun set. Everything was bathed in brilliant orange and she found herself smiling at this little piece of heaven that she’d discovered. It was so different from the city and very welcome.

Glancing towards a figure that was walking towards the cabin, she grinned as she saw Dave making his way towards one next to her.

“Well, fancy seeing you here, stranger.” She said, laughing at the shocked look he gave her. “Didn’t you ever learn that it’s not polite to stare?”
 
He chuckled,

"Oh I was taught that, but when confronted with something truly breathtaking I tend to forget my manners."

He winked at her,

"Since I bump into you once again, I did promise to show you the tame animals. Come along."

There was still enough light and there was floodlights, but just to make certain that they would be save he took her to the predators first. All of them had been fed, but as the cougar, tiger and leopard knew him very well, they came to the fence, eager for some attention. He opened the gate to the tiger's pen and went inside, he was content and happy so Dave motioned her inside and pushed the gate shut. He took her hand,

"Now with dogs it's great to let them smell the back of your fist, but with the big cats you let them smell your fingers."

He smiled,

"Don't worry they are very tame, I raised them from cubs."

He held her hand out and the huge tigers casually sniffed her fingers, he looked curiously at her then at Dave and then pushed the top of his head against her hand, Dave let go and smiled,

"Scratch his ears, you will love his purr."
 
Dave was incredibly charming. Jen couldn’t help but laugh as he winked at her and made her blush like a little school girl. It had been a long time since a man had made her feel like that. Considering this was a man that she barely knew, it was best to play things safe.

“I’d love to see some animals.” She said with a grin, following him to an enclosure that housed some very, VERY large cats. “Oh, wow…” Jen sad, watching as he interacted with the tiger, the giant cat purring like a kitten when Dave motioned her inside.

“You sure this is alright?” She asked him in a whispered voice, following his instructions as he assured her that the cat was rather tame.

She scratched behind his large ears, laughing softly at the deep, rumbling purr that issued from his chest. “Awww…he’s just like a house cat.”
 
He smiled,

"We usually let children pet them after feeding time, so it's quite alright."

He watched as she scratched the tiger and he clearly enjoyed it,

"It is one of the reasons that I like them so much, cats is one of my bigger loves."

He scratched the big cat under his chin, making him stretch out his neck for more attention and Dave of course obliged. After a few moments he touched her on the shoulder,

"Come along, I'm sure the other two would get jealous if you only scratched young Tigra here."
 
“I love cats too. Well, small house cats, but I suppose a cat is a cat, right?” She asked, looking at Dave and grinning.

She was having a wonderful time in the company of the smart and funny park ranger. She wondered if he was like this with all their important guests. Part of her hoped that it was just because she intrigued him and she was special.

“It’s beautiful here.” She commented as she followed him towards the leopard, letting the big cat smell her hand before she pet along its sleek fur. “I can only imagine how peaceful it must be to live here.”
 
"Oh I prefer this over the city any old day, the way everybody scurries around like ants whose nest have been kicked open."

He shook his head and watched her stroke the leopard, as the light was fading fast he didn't want to chance taking her into the cougar's pen, the young cat was not to be trusted after dark...well Dave wouldn't trust the cat near Jenifer. He smiled at the thought and of course at the big cat's purring at the attention she gave it. When she stepped away from the cat he led her to where they kept the various herbivores, he flipped a switch and floodlights came on to illuminate the pens.

"Well there you go, antelopes, hippos, rhinos, buffalo, basically every animal that is found without a parent we have here, we raise them until they are big enough to let free in the roaming area, that is like a huge pen where they learn to look after themselves and then we let them free onto the reserve."
 
“The city has its merits. You just have to have an appreciation for the glass and steel just as you do for wide open spaces.” She said, scratching behind the big cat’s ears before she followed Dave to another pen. “Although, it’s nice to be here in the silence. There’s definitely something to be said about peaceful quiet.”

She gasped as lips illuminated the other pens and a number of animals were revealed. “Wow. I can’t imagine how amazing it is to work here.” She said in complete and total awe. “Forget acting. I think this would be heaven.”
 
Back
Top