The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. After shucking 685 ears of corn, cutting it, cooking it and bagging it, I never want to see another ear of corn again. I have 12 gallons in the freezer and 9 half pints of relish sealed in jars.

I need a drink.

That's a lot of corn! Of course the Heartland is corn country but still . . . HM is allergic to the stuff, unfortunately, so since I'm supposed to be avoiding potatoes when fresh corn is available I'll bake a spud for her and nuke an ear of corn for me. Doesn't happen very often. Perhaps I need to pick up the pace---after we get back from Europe.

That's a lot of corn! Of course the Heartland is corn country but still . . . HM is allergic to the stuff, unfortunately, so since I'm supposed to be avoiding potatoes when fresh corn is available I'll bake a spud for her and nuke an ear of corn for me. Doesn't happen very often. Perhaps I need to pick up the pace---after we get back from Europe.

I have a lot of green beans put up, all that corn, many different pickled peppers, gardenaria, cucumber pickles, pasta sauces, basil pepper sauce and few other treats. I need some cabbages and other cole vegetables to pad the larder and I'll be all set for winter.

I have a lot of green beans put up, all that corn, many different pickled peppers, gardenaria, cucumber pickles, pasta sauces, basil pepper sauce and few other treats. I need some cabbages and other cole vegetables to pad the larder and I'll be all set for winter.

Planning to hibernate?

Are we talking about a 'cob' of corn (as in Corn on the . .) ?

A year or two ago, we had vast (?) fields of it not far from me. Yet I never saw it at our local market. I thought this was a bit sad.

Planning to hibernate?

Nope. I'm planning to survive another bad winter without high grocery bills. Our own food is better for us, processed without chemicals, tastier and readily available in the our own storage. When I was growing up, all we ever ate was our own food. I'm trying to get back to my roots.

Are we talking about a 'cob' of corn (as in Corn on the . .) ?

A year or two ago, we had vast (?) fields of it not far from me. Yet I never saw it at our local market. I thought this was a bit sad.

Were those fields privately owned? Around here, farmers put in fields of sweet corn just to share with family and friends--and the vast numbers of deer that tend to decimate crops when they get the chance.

Were those fields privately owned? Around here, farmers put in fields of sweet corn just to share with family and friends--and the vast numbers of deer that tend to decimate crops when they get the chance.

Not known, I'm afraid.
But they were/are sufficiently far from the local deer to have little or no damage.

Molly, you and others are doing exactly what my Mamma did when I was little;
I've never tasted a better Bramble Jelly since.

'Green corn' is a heavily American kind of thing. Most parts of the world grow 'field corn' for livestock feed--unless you make lots of polenta. My guess is that the corn HP saw is now sitting in the meat section of his local grocery labeled 'pork'. ;)

'Green corn' is a heavily American kind of thing. Most parts of the world grow 'field corn' for livestock feed--unless you make lots of polenta. My guess is that the corn HP saw is now sitting in the meat section of his local grocery labeled 'pork'. ;)

I guess that's possible, but it was interesting to see it.

Nope. I'm planning to survive another bad winter without high grocery bills. Our own food is better for us, processed without chemicals, tastier and readily available in the our own storage. When I was growing up, all we ever ate was our own food. I'm trying to get back to my roots.

Good for you. Hope you enjoy :)

Not known, I'm afraid.
But they were/are sufficiently far from the local deer to have little or no damage.

Molly, you and others are doing exactly what my Mamma did when I was little;
I've never tasted a better Bramble Jelly since.

I love bramble berry jelly. The late start of spring destroyed berry crops on my dad's farm. The blossoms froze and no berries. I really wanted to make jellies this year.

Mmm...pork chops.

In many places standing corn, still green, is cut for silage. It ferments up something fierce and makes for very contented cows and pigs.

I fear the corn I couldn't rescue ended life in that direction. Thousands and thousands of ears went unpicked, unsavored. So very sad.

I love bramble berry jelly. The late start of spring destroyed berry crops on my dad's farm. The blossoms froze and no berries. I really wanted to make jellies this year.

Mmm...pork chops.

Licks lips and dreams; very Homer Simpson!

Mmm...pork chops.
I fear the corn I couldn't rescue ended life in that direction. Thousands and thousands of ears went unpicked, un-savoured. So very sad.

Good Morning, Molly, :rose:
You wondered about the corn fields being 'privately owned'.
This puzzled me a bit. As opposed to what ? A giant corporation ?
Most farming land in the UK is privately owned as far as I know.

Rolf,
I think the SweetWitch needs a large and very cold Vodka.
You still got supplies of that Swedish stuff ?
Thenk you

Good Morning, Molly, :rose:
You wondered about the corn fields being 'privately owned'.
This puzzled me a bit. As opposed to what ? A giant corporation ?
Most farming land in the UK is privately owned as far as I know.

Rolf,
I think the SweetWitch needs a large and very cold Vodka.
You still got supplies of that Swedish stuff ?
Thenk you

Yeah, giant corp. We see a lot of that here. The large corporate farms have pretty much destroyed the family farm industry. It's quite sad.

HM and I are taking off for two weeks on Sunday. I may or may not have access during that time. If not, that's why. ;)

I'm still trying to come up with a way to send you an orchid. I know which plant but coming up with a box is a PITA. I'll probably have to build one and tape it together but I found a website that explains that if you properly pack a plant and send it Priority Mail it should get there in good order. I'll start building the box as soon as we get back. I'm aiming for delivery about Saturday the 26th.

That coffee smells good, HP. I'll bring some reduced-sugar brownies to share.

Yeah, giant corp. We see a lot of that here. The large corporate farms have pretty much destroyed the family farm industry. It's quite sad.
They're everywhere. Since moving to the midwest, I've been trying to locate as many farmers' markets as I can for locally sourced honey. Except for the headcold I caught from the fella, my allergies have been greatly reduced so far. :)

Molly, I wonder if you might be able to recommend some berries we can start planting for jams next year.

Greetings, Anna,

Raspberries. . .
Strawberries. . .
Blackberries. . .
Red currants. . .

That coffee smells good, HP. I'll bring some reduced-sugar brownies to share.

They're everywhere. Since moving to the midwest, I've been trying to locate as many farmers' markets as I can for locally sourced honey. Except for the headcold I caught from the fella, my allergies have been greatly reduced so far. :)

Molly, I wonder if you might be able to recommend some berries we can start planting for jams next year.

Shoot, girl. Go out to the woods and pick wild berries. I don't know what part of the Midwest, so I can't tell you what would be good. PM me your area. I promise I won't tell anyone.

Around Helena, MT and throughout the Rockies grow the bushes we called chokecherries. The berries were really too astringent to eat raw but when you added enough sugar they made a fine jam and equally fine pancake syrup. If you have any of them growing nearby, wait for the berries to turn dark purple before picking and don't wear anything you don't want stained when you pick them. Some call them a pest but it's the state fruit of N. Dakota and I have fond memories of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back