Punctuating speech in verse?

Bramblethorn

Sleep-deprived
My Halloween entry-to-be is in couplets separated by breaks, like so:

For Miss Catherine Morton had standards, she said—
"You really think I would take you to my bed?

"I've consulted my friends, and they say you're well hung
And you know how to do what you ought with your tongue

"I suppose that's enough, for the yokels 'round here
But my virtue, Red Callum, is rather more dear."

So Catherine's speaking across several couplets, and I'm not sure what the punctuation rules are for this. For prose, my understanding is that the standard is to have quote marks at the start and end of her words and also at the start of each new paragraph:

But Miss Catherine Morton had standards, so she said. "You really think I'd sleep with you? Blah blah no blah blah no blah blah.

"And furthermore, some other reasons why I wouldn't sleep with you. Blah blah lorem ipsum blah.

"But that reminds me, it's time for me to go. Bye now."

For now I've taken the same sort of approach, with a quote mark at the start of each new couplet. But I've just noticed that some sources punctuate like this, with no 'refresher' quote at the start of a new stanza:

It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
`By thy long beard and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me ?

The Bridegroom's doors are opened wide,
And I am next of kin ;
The guests are met, the feast is set :
May'st hear the merry din.'

Thoughts?

My Halloween entry-to-be is in couplets separated by breaks, like so:

So Catherine's speaking across several couplets, and I'm not sure what the punctuation rules are for this. For prose, my understanding is that the standard is to have quote marks at the start and end of her words and also at the start of each new paragraph:

For now I've taken the same sort of approach, with a quote mark at the start of each new couplet. But I've just noticed that some sources punctuate like this, with no 'refresher' quote at the start of a new stanza:

Thoughts?

I agree about prose and have always used the same approach in poetry, when appropriate. But there is something to be said for the uninterrupted flow of Coleridge's approach in narrative poetry.

In poetry, punctuation more about consistency of choice (and clarity). Your first example read well to me.

Back