Car shopping question

Writer_FM

Literotica Guru
I have a question about car shopping that I've wondered about for a while. I'm sure someone in the Lit community can answer it. You go to a car dealership, but they don't have the exact car you want so you leave. A week later the salesperson calls and says they traded with another dealership for the exact car you want. Do you have any obligation to buy that car?

I have a question about car shopping that I've wondered about for a while. I'm sure someone in the Lit community can answer it. You go to a car dealership, but they don't have the exact car you want so you leave. A week later the salesperson calls and says they traded with another dealership for the exact car you want. Do you have any obligation to buy that car?

None.

No. Not legally, not morally.

Nope.

But if they don't straighten up and fly right by you, it might be time to go get a facemask, a pair of filled gasoline cans and some good Ohio Blue Tip matches, if you smell my coffee.

518WiWd2jHL._SY450_.jpg

:D

If you told the salesman that you would buy a car if they had what you wanted, then you could be morally obliged, but not legally.

The sales person is almost certainly a liar. They probably rang around, found the right car, told the second dealer they had a mug on tap and did a deal between the dealers to split any sales commission. Tell 'em to sod off and don't be so naive in future. :)

No. Dealerships trade all the time.

No obligation. But if it's the car you want at a good enough price, you went to the dealership looking to buy there, and you still need a car and still want one with those specifications, I see no reason why you wouldn't buy it there. I also see no reason why they've been anything but accommodating in trying to fill your order. As noted up the line, dealerships trade between each other to meet demand. If they aren't charging you more than you can get the car elsewhere, what's the issue and what haven't they done properly?

But if the salesman is acting like you're obligated to buy that car, you're not.

I used to sell cars for a very short time. Turns out I suck at it.
Anyway you are not obligated in any way and don't even feel bad, dealerships trade cars all the time. It's a normal part of business. One place can't sell it but another can and so on.
Also, just assume they are fucking you. May not be obvious but it's there. Somewhere, somehow there's a dick in your ass and sooner or later you'll find it.

A well-trained car salesman would call to say they have found the exact car.

A percentage of those prospects will go back, and be sold another car.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-the-record-books-sold-13001-chevrolets-in-15

Everything is based on getting the customer on the lot no matter what. Once on the lot you can sell them a car if they really want or need one. In most cases it's rare that you can't even with bad credit altho there is usually a credit threshold that can't be crossed. I mean you have to have made some kind of payment on time or something. At least try to pay your bills.
When I did it I got approvals for people with recent repos and credit in the 400's and pending foreclosures, everything. You know they're gonna skip but underwriting says do it then you do it. Usually with a hefty down payment but they almost always have that if they want a car.

Go back, find or make up some missing option that you wanted, then they don't have the exact one and you can deal with them on your grounds again.
Car dealers are out to fuck you, get even first.

Go back, find or make up some missing option that you wanted, then they don't have the exact one and you can deal with them on your grounds again.
Car dealers are out to fuck you, get even first.
I want one with an ashtray and a cassette deck.

You have absolutely no obligation to buy. Some sales people will try to work your emotions and make you feel guilty if you don't buy it. Don't fall for it. My take is: Do I still want that exact car? If so I'd go back and look at what they had. If not I'd say no thank you and move on. If they tried high pressure tactics or emotional manipulation, I'd probably refer to some colorful words from my father (he was an Okie born logger) and tell them to take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut. After spending a lot of years in the automotive business on the buying side I am not very fond of car salesmen.

A well-trained car salesman would call to say they have found the exact car.

A percentage of those prospects will go back, and be sold another car.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-the-record-books-sold-13001-chevrolets-in-15

Really? If I returned and they tried to lay a story on me about not having the car they promised....well.....see the comment above. Additionally I'd probably talk to the owner and then do everything I could to make sure no one I knew went any where never the place.

Edited to add: After reading the article you cited it appears he based most of his reputation and sales record on customer service not on deception. That's the kind of guy that get's repeat business and get's the word of mouth advertising that is worth a hell of a lot. From experience if you use deception and deceit to sell, you'll sell a lot for a short time, but after a while it will dry up unless you move to a new market. Ever wonder why car sales people seem to move around a lot?

Comshaw

Last edited:
I want one with an ashtray and a cassette deck.

Many years ago, I was crossing the border into Canada with my Jeep CJ and the border guy was a complete ass. Evidently, he figured that this bearded American with a couple of rifles in his car had some sort of contraband. After he had all my shit strewn out on the pavement and had gone through everything, he asked, "Where is your ashtray?" I truthfully answered, "At home, in my garage."

I had removed said ashtray to mount the amp for my cassette player.

Many years ago, I was crossing the border into Canada with my Jeep CJ and the border guy was a complete ass. Evidently, he figured that this bearded American with a couple of rifles in his car had some sort of contraband. After he had all my shit strewn out on the pavement and had gone through everything, he asked, "Where is your ashtray?" I truthfully answered, "At home, in my garage."

I had removed said ashtray to mount the amp for my cassette player.

Lovely story Thor, additionally

ALL border guards are complete asses. No matter the country.
I think they go to border guard asshole school.
And you can't lip off to them.
Did you know that the USofA has a law that if you are a smart ass with a border guard you cab be arrested and charged. Just for giving a smart ass answer to a dumbass question.
No matter, when asked a question by a border guard, give the shortest truthfull answer possible and don't explain why that is what it is unless asked.

Are you bringing any beer or tobacco ...yes...how much...12 bottles, no tobacco

My son was asked..what was the purpose of your trip. To get gas and beer...go ahead..it was a long weekend and beer stores were closed here so yeah, they aren't gonna hassle everybody with a case of beer.
He had 6 cases of beer...wasn't asked, didn't volunteer information.
Wrong answer would be, I went for a tank of gas and 6 cases of beer...ding ding ding...go inside and pay duty

Now, back to your original thread about crooked car dealers:D

Additionally, even if you had committed in writing there is likely a three-day right of rescission of any financing is involved.

I cannot imagine a binding contract on a car you have not seen. Just because you thought you would like to buy a car they did not have Tuesday does not mean you are going to want it Wednesday when it is produced for you to "try out." Salesman know this. Any attempt to guilt you into buying anything is morally wrong and poor salesmanship.

Last edited:
Back