Time to complete editing...

L

Lady_Sith

Guest
Is it an acceptable timeframe to take a solid 8 days to edit a 6k word story?
 
Yes. Depends on the variables of how much editing is needed, the editor's schedule, the author's expressed deadline, the editor's and author's communication styles, the editor deciding the story isn't a good fit, the editor had a heart attack, etc.
 
The standard in the publishing world for editorial time is 2,000 words/hour. So, three hours plus time to organize any notes on it. Say four hours. You can figure it out from there.

It's a good idea to work out estimated time up front.
 
Last edited:
Arranging the estimated time and the expectations of the author are critical. Life events happen and interfere.

But I am surprised at the entitled tone in the question. If the author pays the editor to edit, I agree the author is entitled to have (and should expect to have) the work back within a certain time frame. If not, the author is working at the mercy of the editor's schedule.

On the other hand, the author should feel free to find another editor, or after 8 days, very politely suggest that they are worried the editor may not have sufficient time to finish the editing, and they may look for alternative options.

The writers write for free, and they get satisfaction in return in the form of scores. The editors get more removed satisfaction - especially if the author is hard to work with.

It's why I edit so little for others.
 
No straight answer.....

As previously stated, there are a lot of variables that go into a writer/editor relationship. I myself try to hold to a 72 hour turn around time for works with 10K words or less. At that point I give an evaluation, then decide with the writer where to go from that point. The key is having good and open communication.
 
Back
Top