Seeking Editor for Incest Romance - The story has already had initial editing done with Grammarly

Club_Soda

Experienced
I am looking for an editor for part two of my story. Part 1 can be found here https://www.literotica.com/s/employee-number-one

Chapter two is a romance between two cousins but includes sex scenes between father/daughter, mother/son as well as the two cousins.

The initial editing has been done with Grammarly. I went over every Grammarly suggestion manually, I did not mass auto-correct anything. In addition, I have combed over the story several times to try to correct anything out of place in the storyline or wording.

I am always open to feedback as to how I could tell the story better. However, what I typically need most is someone who enjoys reading for errors.

One thing to note, this chapter is 26,225 words long. I understand this is a long story to edit, which is why I have spent a lot of time self-editing. Now I am at the point where I'm unlikely to find mistakes on my own, so help would be very much appreciated.

Although I'm backed up with stories to edit, I can make a suggestion or two based on past editing. Most authors rely too much on Spellcheck and Grammarly. Spellcheck only catches misspellings but not if it's the correct word, ex. using waste when you mean waist. I also see inconsistency problems where the author changes a character's name during the story. I've also found where the author had a female character's panties off in one paragraph but in the next paragraph has her taking them off. One persistent problem I see a lot of is punctuation during dialogue. I suggest two things: one is to keep a hard copy of a dictionary close by and the other is to by a book on writing even if it's nothing more than "writing for dummies."

Although I'm backed up with stories to edit, I can make a suggestion or two based on past editing. Most authors rely too much on Spellcheck and Grammarly. Spellcheck only catches misspellings but not if it's the correct word, ex. using waste when you mean waist. I also see inconsistency problems where the author changes a character's name during the story. I've also found where the author had a female character's panties off in one paragraph but in the next paragraph has her taking them off. One persistent problem I see a lot of is punctuation during dialogue. I suggest two things: one is to keep a hard copy of a dictionary close by and the other is to by a book on writing even if it's nothing more than "writing for dummies."
Thank you for the reply. I'm doing one last review before submitting the story and I will keep your suggestions in mind as I finish up. My big issue is I am legitimately dyslexic, and spent five years with a reading tutor to bring my reading skills up to grade level by high school. So catching those mistakes takes a lot more effort than it would for most.

Your story seems to be about 40 pages long by Word standards. Just how set on submitting your story quickly? If you are not in a hurry, I might be willing to edit for you.

"the other is to by a book on writing"
"the other is to buy a book on writing"
I'd like to be a volunteer editor. How can I get started?

"the other is to by a book on writing"
"the other is to buy a book on writing"
I'd like to be a volunteer editor. How can I get started?
It's good and useful to spot errors!

But it's also important to know when to let them go. I've spotted countless typos in published works. Knowing they exist is excellent and indicative of skill and experience; allowing them is part of life. Your own carefully-edited works will still often have typos. It's INCREDIBLY difficult to avoid all of them. Quality and quantity matter though, of course.

The goal, I think, in being an editor, is a) being generally willing to help others in the process of improving their writing, and b) agreeing to so do based on specific agreements. If you're happy doing it for free, then just start reaching out and offering to help! People ask for it pretty often here.

There are two versions of Grammarly. Did you use the pay version? I use the pay version and find the suggestions it makes to be very helpful. Put the story aside for at least a week or maybe longer, and do anything else. When you come up to back the story, you may find many things that you didn't see before and need to revise. Also, print out a copy of the story and read it out loud. Doing this may help you find weaknesses you haven't seen before. And finally, remember the wise words of Henry Ford. There comes a time in the life of every project to shoot the engineers and go into production.

An editor needs to learn about the writer such as is English a second language or are they dyslexic. Knowing these things can help the editor to better help the writer. In some cases, the editor leaves a note or notes concerning issues the editor cannot solve. I've left notes in the past for the writer's attention in hopes they would resolve an issue. Another common issue I encounter is inconsistencies in character's names and circumstances.

An editor needs to learn about the writer such as is English a second language or are they dyslexic. Knowing these things can help the editor to better help the writer. In some cases, the editor leaves a note or notes concerning issues the editor cannot solve. I've left notes in the past for the writer's attention in hopes they would resolve an issue. Another common issue I encounter is inconsistencies in character's names and circumstances.
Great point on English as a Second Language (ESL). I have worked with non-native English speakers for many years in my professional life(s). When I'm editing something for them, I actually try to leave in some of those little ESL quirks, so the piece still sounds like them rather than me. As long as the error isn't so jarring that it stops the reader dead in their tracks or it doesn't introduce a completely different meaning than the author wants, some of them can stay. The flip side of that is for ESL writers here to identify themselves as such in their story intros. When I'm reading a linguistically or grammatically challenged story, I'm more willing to keep grinding through it if I know it's a non-native speaker who's giving it her or his best shot.

Back