followers?

jack30341

Really Experienced
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Posts
469
Pardon my dumb question.

What is the typical range of followers a writer would have here, who has been around a few years?

Thanks.
 
Interesting. Thanks.

When a writer posts here on the bulletin board, does it get circulated to followers?

I appreciate it.
 
I don't think there is a typical number. It depends on many factors, and in particular, is affected by the categories in which you publish stories. Publish in incest/taboo and you are guaranteed to get more followers. The number of stories you write is, of course, a big factor. Getting high scores helps, but it's less important than the first two factors.

If you "favorite" authors that you like you can see how many followers they have.
 
Pardon my dumb question.

What is the typical range of followers a writer would have here, who has been around a few years?

Thanks.

Hidden on the home page is a link, after another almost hidden click, to this listing of the top 250 authors in being favorited by users as authors--which should be an index to "followers." You could look through this list against those who have been around a few years--as well as those who regularly post to the forum.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/favoritesportal.php
 
I wonder if writers who post on Lit see bumps in sales for their off-site works, such as at smashwords.
 
I haven't seen anything I would index to that--and I have announced a new marketplace work here about every two weeks for a decade.
 
Fascinating.

One would think readers, at least some, would venture over and partake.

Especially if there are longer works off-site.

Your works longer, or comparable?
 
Let me say that my sales are just fine. There's just little evidence of a connection in announcing them here and sales on multiple distributors, however. I announce it here before sales start getting reported on any of the distributors. I do get an e-mail occasionally that seeing my stories on Web sites has prompted them to go buy titles for sale, but that's mostly from other story sites. I don't post here under the same names I market books (although I give the market name in my announcements here).

All of my works in the market are longer than individual ones I post here. They are either novellas or novels or, mostly, anthologies that combine short stories. The anthologies (I'm up to 14 in one series) are usually 80,000 words or more and have gone up to 250,000 words. Putting all of my pen names together I have nearly 200 titles on offer in the marketplace. They don't make a great deal individually, but having 200 active titles is pretty lucrative.
 
Hidden on the home page is a link, after another almost hidden click, to this listing of the top 250 authors in being favorited by users as authors--which should be an index to "followers." You could look through this list against those who have been around a few years--as well as those who regularly post to the forum.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/favoritesportal.php

I've long wondered about this. The URL suggests the link shows up on the stories page, but I don't see it there. Where is it, if anywhere? And why is it hidden? Seems like something worth having a link to.
 
I've long wondered about this. The URL suggests the link shows up on the stories page, but I don't see it there. Where is it, if anywhere? And why is it hidden? Seems like something worth having a link to.

On the home page, buried deep is a blue-colored phrase "sneak preview" that has notified us of a coming feature for the eleven years at least that I've been here. Click on that. You get the top ten "favorited" authors. But you can get a top 250 list by finding a reference to a previous listing--top of a column on the right of the page.

This has been a coming feature for over a decade. It was on a list of suggestions I made several years ago for functions that needed to be cleaned up on this Web site and was told that all systems are go on this Web site and that I was a troll.
 
Curious---you have a daily word count goal?

Do your publishing yourself?

I have publishers who do everything for me but write. I set no goals but I could write any time I sat down to the computer--and I have my life pretty much taken care of me at home too, so I have a lot of time available to write. I've been writing for publication since 1992 (and have edited over 180 other market books for publishers since 1997).

Although I don't set goals, I do keep records and have published more that 500,000 words of erotica to the marketplace each year over the last eleven years.

In my case, what enables the writing is having publishers who do the rest (while letting me weigh in on covers and such).
 
Hidden on the home page is a link, after another almost hidden click, to this listing of the top 250 authors in being favorited by users as authors--which should be an index to "followers." You could look through this list against those who have been around a few years--as well as those who regularly post to the forum.

https://www.literotica.com/stories/favoritesportal.php

Huh. I had no idea that existed. It really brings home the sorts of stories that draw the views around here.
 
Huh. I had no idea that existed. It really brings home the sorts of stories that draw the views around here.

Don't believe all the numbers you see there. Someone has been manipulating the numbers in both lists for the last five years that I know of. It's easy to see if you look but Laurel can't seem to find anything wrong. At least I wasn't called a troll. :rolleyes:
 
On the home page, buried deep is a blue-colored phrase "sneak preview" that has notified us of a coming feature for the eleven years at least that I've been here. Click on that. You get the top ten "favorited" authors. But you can get a top 250 list by finding a reference to a previous listing--top of a column on the right of the page.

This has been a coming feature for over a decade. It was on a list of suggestions I made several years ago for functions that needed to be cleaned up on this Web site and was told that all systems are go on this Web site and that I was a troll.

see post #2 above.
 
favs_ss.jpg


Getting to all the favorites listings is as simple as clicking the option in the control panel menu.

And, if you check the new Tags portal: https://literotica.com/tags/

You'll see that this is the new universal header that will roll out with each updated page of the site.
 
Last edited:
I am new to publishing on Lit (not new to writing, but new to posting this genre). I have been reading on Lit for several years (a few years before I made an official profile).

1a. You are not allowed to post full stories on the bulletin board. You can post a small part as an "advertisement", but that doesn't necessarily mean people hop over to Lit and read it.
1b. Talking with several other authors, it's a mixed bag about whether advertising here (posting that you have a new story) increased your readership on Lit AND whether it has a positive or negative effect on your rating. (Too long to explain.)

2a. Followers. Very dependent on many factors. Whether you are a good writer is definitely a factor. No one is going to follow a writer if they don't like their writing.
2b. Story genre is another. Some categories get a lot more traffic than others. In my short, limited experience (I have 4 stories posted), I had the most readership when a story was posted in Nonconsent/Reluctance. Erotic Coupling has high readership, but also high submissions, so stories are bumped off the first page of that board within days (so unless they are going into the full list of ALL new stories, they don't see yours even if it was published only a week ago.
2c. Some people don't have profiles, so they don't "follow" you. I have many more votes on my stories and far fewer followers even though all my stories are ranked over 4 stars.

Just my two cents. ;)
 
Back
Top