10,000 followers. Some advice to new writers.

Imstillfun

Really Experienced
Today I hit the benchmark of 10,000 followers. That’s #14 on the most followed list. I am totally baffled. I often ask myself, “why me?“ Seriously, there are other writers I like as much or better.

I thank all my followers.

I used to track my scores as a measurement of success. i wasn’t really aware of followers. Then a fan told me I was #28 in the most followed list. I’d never heard of it. I became obsessed with followers as a metric of success.

to new authors, you should know my first story was rejected 5 times till I learned the proper use of quotation marks. Don’t be discouraged.

My stories initially scored in the 3s. I figured as long as they were above 3, at least half the readers liked them. Don’t get discouraged. now when I score below 4, I find it’s often a style issue, not topic.

initially I got lots of hateful comments. I still do. I learned to ignore them. Even enjoy them. I tried to learn from the helpful ones. Don’t get discouraged.

I got accused of cheating. I have no idea how you cheat. Do not get discouraged

write what you want, write what you feel. If you love it, and enjoy it, you’ll be fine.

I've been reading the OP for a while and she probably has some of the highest-rated LW stories of any author I've discovered. This in itself is a testament to the quality of the writing.

Congrats on your awesome milestone. :nana:

Congratulations on reaching such an impressive number of followers. You have written a lot of stories and you do write in the two most popular categories by far, but still, it is an impressive number, no doubt. Well, don't stop there 😉

10,000! Sheesh. I'm only 4810 behind you. LOL.

It's a big achievement. It means you are connecting with a lot of readers who like your stories, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? To me, it is.

Today I hit the benchmark of 10,000 followers. That’s #14 on the most followed list. I am totally baffled. I often ask myself, “why me?“ Seriously, there are other writers I like as much or better.

I used to track my scores as a measurement of success. i wasn’t really aware of followers. Then a fan told me I was #28 in the most followed list. I’d never heard of it. I became obsessed with followers as a metric of success.

to new authors, you should know my first story was rejected 5 times till I learned the proper use of quotation marks. Don’t be discouraged.

My stories initially scored in the 3s. I figured as long as they were above 3, at least half the readers liked them. Don’t get discouraged. now when I score below 4, I find it’s often a style issue, not topic.

initially I got lots of hateful comments. I still do. I learned to ignore them. Even enjoy them. I tried to learn from the helpful ones. Don’t get discouraged.

write what you want, write what you feel. If you love it, and enjoy it, you’ll be fine.
I try to encourage new writers to keep track of their stats so they can see what works. I would like to figure out a way to determine why a reader favorites you and track that. I know that LW readers are quite loyal but I avoid LW and NC and slog the hard way through SciFi and Romance. I just picked up 40 followers with my most recent story so I'm going to emulate that story for a while.

10,000! Sheesh. I'm only 4810 behind you. LOL.

It's a big achievement. It means you are connecting with a lot of readers who like your stories, and that's what it's all about, isn't it? To me, it is.
I’ve read your stuff. You’ll get there.

Congratulations... that's, wow! I like your words of advice too. May you get 10,000 more!

I am totally baffled.

I'm not baffled at all. You unabashedly write stories that are fun. They explore, without guilt or hesitation, a variety of popular kinky, naughty fantasies that people have. There's an enormous, endless hunger out there for these stories. Librarians and accountants and plumbers and mail clerks and CEOs and assembly line workers who want to get somewhere private, get online, and for a little while have some kinky fun with the written word. Your stories do a great job of feeding that hunger. It's great.

I agree 100% with your advice. Figure out what erotica YOU enjoy, and write it.

I am one of the 10,000

I'm not baffled at all. You unabashedly write stories that are fun. They explore, without guilt or hesitation, a variety of popular kinky, naughty fantasies that people have. There's an enormous, endless hunger out there for these stories. Librarians and accountants and plumbers and mail clerks and CEOs and assembly line workers who want to get somewhere private, get online, and for a little while have some kinky fun with the written word. Your stories do a great job of feeding that hunger. It's great.

I agree 100% with your advice. Figure out what erotica YOU enjoy, and write it.
Thank you.

Back