Story display queue

literaturechickfck

literaturechick
Hello everyone new here. I have a question regarding the story submission. When story get published in a certain category, on what basis the story goes in display queue. I mean even if it’s the same day, my story always stays in the bottom queue. Why? Is there any metric for that because people who got less views, less rating, less followers are on top? Is there something I am missing?

I don't know the logic behind it. But I did submit 3 stories on Mondays, which ended up on the 2nd or 3rd page of New Stories on Thursday.
Submitted my latest story later on a Tuesday and it was #2 on the front page of New Stories for most of Thursday. Got bumped down twice, and now on the 2nd page.
It got 10,000 views in less than a day, far more than my other stories, hovering just over 4.5.

Hello everyone new here. I have a question regarding the story submission. When story get published in a certain category, on what basis the story goes in display queue. I mean even if it’s the same day, my story always stays in the bottom queue. Why? Is there any metric for that because people who got less views, less rating, less followers are on top? Is there something I am missing?
It's a chronological list. Your story moves down the page as new stories get added. If it's a high volume category, I expect the stories go up in the order they're processed by the site. It might be alphabetical - I've never paid attention to that.

The new stories lists are chronological. Other lists are alphabetical, random, or by best match.

The new stories lists are chronological. Other lists are alphabetical, random, or by best match.
But seems reverse chronological for the top position (albeit briefly). Like you want to be the last one in the batch to get high on the page.

It's kind of a shame they don't re-order the new lists with each page load, the way they do with contest entries. Especially on the category hubs, not being on the front page seems to take a big chunk out of casual views.

But seems reverse chronological for the top position (albeit briefly). Like you want to be the last one in the batch to get high on the page.
That's what chronological means. First in the queue, you're top of the page for a moment, then roll down as later stories are added, so the last in that batch to get processed is at the top of the page. How can it work any other way?

That's what chronological means. First in the queue, you're top of the page for a moment, then roll down as later stories are added, so the last in that batch to get processed is at the top of the page. How can it work any other way?
Not exactly, hear me out.. If you're early to submit (Mid day Monday) to the Thursday batch post, you'll be buried. They get published around midnight Eastern, so your story never gets much visibility.

Posting late afternoon on Tuesday means you'll be one of the last to get in on the Thursday batch and be near the top. Best position going to the LAST submission within the batch, not first. That's what I did, and I was #2 on page one from around midnight Eastern to around 8pm that Thursday night (approx 20 hours). ONLY THEN, did newer posts push me down.

Batches are chronological, but position WITHIN the batch is reverse chronological. But I'm new, at least it's what I've experienced.

If you're early to submit (Mid day Monday) to the Thursday batch post, ...

Posting late afternoon on Tuesday means you'll be one of the last to get in on the Thursday batch
Does that imply that there are only new stories posted on certain days of the week?

I haven't actually paid attention to that, but it seems not. So how do you know which day's batch your submission will be in, assuming it isn't sent back? Is there a schedule I can keep in mind to time my sumbissions?

Does that imply that there are only new stories posted on certain days of the week?

I haven't actually paid attention to that, but it seems not. So how do you know which day's batch your submission will be in, assuming it isn't sent back? Is there a schedule I can keep in mind to time my submissions.
I only know that a large batch gets published Thursday around midnight. I've submitted on Mondays and Tuesdays and they have all been published at that same time.

I only know that a large batch gets published Thursday around midnight. I've submitted on Mondays and Tuesdays and they have all been published at that same time.
Hmm. Thanks for bringing the idea up. Now, before I publish, I'm going to go through the submissions in the target category and see what I can deduce about scheduling.

Does anybody have stats on when Lit in generally gets the most readers? Days, time of day, that kind of thing? Broken down by category would be awesome, but surely too much to hope for.

Not exactly, hear me out.. If you're early to submit (Mid day Monday) to the Thursday batch post, you'll be buried. They get published around midnight Eastern, so your story never gets much visibility.

Posting late afternoon on Tuesday means you'll be one of the last to get in on the Thursday batch and be near the top. Best position going to the LAST submission within the batch, not first. That's what I did, and I was #2 on page one from around midnight Eastern to around 8pm that Thursday night (approx 20 hours). ONLY THEN, did newer posts push me down.

Batches are chronological, but position WITHIN the batch is reverse chronological. But I'm new, at least it's what I've experienced.
Laurel approves things at different rates. I've had submissions approved but set to post a day or two later. So it's not strictly queue order.

Also some stories take longer to approve than others. Two submissions minutes apart could be approved a week apart.

I haven't actually paid attention to that, but it seems not. So how do you know which day's batch your submission will be in, assuming it isn't sent back? Is there a schedule I can keep in mind to time my sumbissions?
Because different categories have vastly different amounts of content, Laurel seems to spread New stories around fairly evenly, so there's a steady load across all categories.

There's no "daily schedule" though, that I've ever seen. Who can predict how many stories on any given day in any given category? No-one. It's simply not possible to time a story to be last in the queue, therefore top of the page. It's the luck of the draw.

Some authors ask for stories to be released on a nominated day, claiming it somehow maximises reads, but I've never seen evidence to prove it.

My advice is to submit your story when it's done, and wait. There are too many variables to predict anything.

Laurel approves things at different rates. I've had submissions approved but set to post a day or two later. So it's not strictly queue order.

Also some stories take longer to approve than others. Two submissions minutes apart could be approved a week apart.
Fair enough. In my very limited time here I thought I saw a pattern and came up with a hypothesis. Tried it out and it worked exactly as I thought it would.

Might have gotten lucky with a tiny data set. But I still think if you're the last in the batch, you'll be higher in that batch.

Last edited:
There's no way to work out more than a ballpark of when you'll get posted. That includes where in the queue you'll get processed, and thus where you'll fall during the chronological sortation. Pre-approved stories range by 1-3 days ( rarely, even less than a day ) how far they are from going live, and not everything gets pre-approved. It's impossible to try to pin down an early/late submission to get some prime position. If you submit late, it could just put you in the first group approved for the following day, which would put you at the bottom of the hub list once everything goes live.

Laurel is not picking from what was submitted any given day and assigning them to X days later. She's trying to approve a number range of stories — probably with a mix of categories — each day. Page 1 of the main new story list ( all categories ) being full has always appeared to be her minimum goal. So when you submit isn't realistically targetable. You're at the mercy of what everyone else has submitted. A pile of quickly recognized rejections could move you up. A glut of stories submitted in your category could slow you down. It's a crapshoot.

I will avoid Sunday like the plague, and still get nabbed by a late pre-approval or a sudden no-warning approval once in a while. ( Hence why I pull anything still pending on Saturday and reset its queue position when I realize it's happening. I really hate Sunday )

We need a Lit-hacks website.

TBH I’ve never worried about which day and what time to submit. It’s normally as early as possible and often a bit earlier than that.

It’s frustrating to debut on page 2, but I’ve been #1 on page 1 several times. No rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell.

Em

A bit of a thread hijack, but is there a way to present your stories to readers (ie, when a reader clicks on your user name) chronologically by publication date, or is there no way to reset the alphabetical listing of stories? Not a complaint, just a query, as my stories follow a bit of a timeline, and I've always wondered about this. Thanks in advance.

A bit of a thread hijack, but is there a way to present your stories to readers (ie, when a reader clicks on your user name) chronologically by publication date, or is there no way to reset the alphabetical listing of stories? Not a complaint, just a query, as my stories follow a bit of a timeline, and I've always wondered about this. Thanks in advance.
You could create a story series and manually add the relevant titles in the order you want them to be read. The series title still appears wherever it would fall in the default list, but the stories contained in the series follow the order you set.

You could create a story series and manually add the relevant titles in the order you want them to be read. The series title still appears wherever it would fall in the default list, but the stories contained in the series follow the order you set.
Thanks muchly for your help, but that sounds like one for my quickly filling too-hard basket! 😉

Thanks muchly for your help, but that sounds like one for my quickly filling too-hard basket! 😉
Takes a little bit to puzzle out, but if the chronological release is the timeline, there's even a radio button for "date published" as the order for the series, meaning you never have to worry about it again once the series is established. Add each new story to the series, and it's automatically in the right place.

The learning curve is creating the series and adding that first story. Once you puzzle that out, it's a sweet little tool that is oh-so-useful.

You can. It requires a browser extension (Tampermonkey), and it breaks the display of series.

https://forum.literotica.com/thread...by-date-solution-inside.654644/#post-95270746

I also use the Stylbot extension at the end of the thread to make visited links visible.

Edit: Sorry, I read that as how to see stories chronologically, not for others to see it that way.

I don't know the logic behind it. But I did submit 3 stories on Mondays, which ended up on the 2nd or 3rd page of New Stories on Thursday.
Submitted my latest story later on a Tuesday and it was #2 on the front page of New Stories for most of Thursday. Got bumped down twice, and now on the 2nd page.
It got 10,000 views in less than a day, far more than my other stories, hovering just over 4.5.
Congratulations on your 10k views

Back