A Hero Among Us (closed)

"Yes it is a cute trick."

He twisted his head just enough to look up at her, "Methane. Highly flammable. Remember any other trick I have?"

He wasn't that desperate, but a fire would explode the room, in fact it would take out all of them. He gave her a grim smile, heat building up in his hands.

"Only way to stop me is to kill me or knock me out. Take your pick."

The heat rose to the point of turning into flames
 
"Never give them a choice." Grace said, smacking him hard on the back of the skull with the staff until he slumped to the floor.

She took a step away, glancing over at Mr. Smith as she did. "I expect you'll take care of this? Air out the room and get him back to the infirmary to treat the headache he'll soon have."

She tossed him the staff, stopping to look at Max as she stood practically cowering in front of her. "And learn to have a spine if you want to stay in this business. You'll be killed if you show this much fright."
 
Smith drew a control from a pocket and in a few moments the smell started to lessen. He brightened the lights and looked at the two women. One seemingly in charge, an opponent at her feet and her stance conveying power and command.

He knew her and he had a sneaky suspicion that the cowering girl knew Gracie better than anybody outside their little circle. He moved closer and prodded the inert form of Alex. How could they bring the girl into the fight? She clearly wasn't a fighter, a pacifist. He bent and picked up the discarded weapon, he twirled it expertly and with a slight wink at Gracie, he aimed a hit at Alex
 
"No!" Max screamed as she watched Mr. Smith pick up the weapon and aim a hit at Alex as he lay defenseless on the ground.

Gracie watched as Max thought about what she was doing for a moment before launching a halfhearted attempt to intervine. Grace simply stepped to the side as the smaller woman shoved herself against Smith to get him away from Alex.

"You'll have to do much better than that if you really wanted to save his life in the heat of the moment." Gracie scolded.
 
Smith allowed Max to push him away, but at the same moment his hand snapped up, catching Max's throat on the back of his wrist, locking the stick behind her neck, he dragged her off of her feet and down to the ground where he smoothly applied a front-face lock. Choking Max out as he looked up at Gracie.

"You were here as well."

He said nothing further, but felt a slight flutter in the back of his mind. Almost like a thought. He frowned slightly and then the small body went quiet, the feeling disappeared. He smoothly rose and looked at the two bodies laid out on the floor. He turned to face Gracie.

"And you feel this is the way to train them? Throw them in the deepest side and beat them down..."

He pointed at Alex, "Physically..."

He pointed at Max, "Mentally?"

He rested his hands on his hips, "They need to learn and there is no time to coddle them. But you are pushing too hard. You will lose them and when their time comes, you will blame yourself again."

A tired sigh and a shake of the head, "You have a meeting in half an hour. Which vehicle do you prefer?"
 
“It would be best for the most to be lost forever than to die not being prepared for this fight.” Gracie said as Smith tried to teach her that she was doing things in the wrong way. “It’s the way you taught me. It wasn’t wrong back then.”

She glanced at him as he mentioned that she had a meeting. “A meeting with who? There was nothing on the schedule.”
 
"And they will still continue on this road, with or without you. They started without you, if they stay will be up to you. And remember, I trained you this hard because you asked for it. You have barely taken the time to get to know these kids. What is his middle name? What is her favorite food?"

He rose an eyebrow after making his point. Then gave her a small smile, "Your biggest competitor had to reschedule your last meeting, it falls on today. If you check your work pad, you will find it there. I did not put it on your personal pad, that is your job."

He looked at Alex who started to stir, "Either you are losing your touch or he is a tough kid."
 
"He;s tougher than he looks." Gracie said as she looked down at Alex, considering the meeting that she was expected at in just a short while. "Pull up the Rolls. I'll need a driver. The press is already ruthless enough. I don't need to show up on my motorcycle and give them even more to talk about."

She turned to leave the room, pausing briefly to look back at Smith as he stood there over the two younger fighters. "See them to their rooms. I'll have a doctor look them over. I won't be completely heartless when it comes to their training, even if you think I am."
 
Smith hid the grin he felt, he knew her too well by now to make a reply. He went to work, getting the pair awake and helped them to the elevator and into their rooms. He made sure they were comfortable and called the doctor they trusted.

A few minutes later he was showered, shaved and in his suit, he stood at the door ready to escort Gracie from the building and drive her to Orion Industries for the meeting with her uncle, whom also was her toughest competitor and the two of them believed that he was behind the fresh brace of attacks on Gracie's buildings. Not that Edward Orion would ever admit that the acts had his backing and without definitive proof there was not much they could do.

"Perhaps the kids know something."
 
"Perhaps they do. I will not, however, involve them in the fight between myself and my uncle." Gracie said as she pulled on a pair of over sized black sunglasses, entering the back of the Rolls in her tailored black suit. "We know what kind of a person he is. The first moment that he gets wind that someone might know something about him and that person will disappear."
 
Smith got in, started the car and pulled into traffic, "Problem is, they had involved themselves already. We both know this should never have spilled over to involve innocents and even though you did not start it, we need to find a way to stop it."

He looked at her in the mirror, "Perhaps they can find out. All of these buildings have caught fire in the old city. It can be a lesson in discreetness, heaven alone knows Alex can do with some of that."
 
"If you trust the both of them so much, put them out in the streets." Gracie said, catching Smith's glance in the rear view mirror. "I still think they're likely to get killed doing things the way that they have been doing."
 
"There will be no hero stuff. Just listening to rumors and finding out if anybody saw anything. You know how information gathering goes, we did it enough without having to resort to any violence."

He pulled up at the curb, got out and opened the door for her, "Want me to come along and wait outside the door?"
 
Gracie stepped out of the car, glancing at Smith as he made his offer to come with her. “You only want to be there on the off chance you’ll get to pummel him.”

She could hear the clicks of cameras in the distance and knew that her little pack of reporters had followed them. “I’ll be fine.”
 
He kept his face passive, but he knew that she could see the smile which nobody else would.

"Very well Miss Montgomery, I will wait for you."

He activated the car's security

"In the foyer."

He escorted her like any good bodyguard would and as she got spirited away for her meeting, he took a seat and checked up on the two youngsters.
 
Max woke up about thirty minutes after she had been escorted to her room with a pounding headache. As her eyes opened and she looked around the richly decorated room, she wondered just why she had allowed Smith to get the upper hand. She would kick herself over that for the longest time, knowing that Gracie was probably right about this being the wrong choice for them.

Getting out of bed, Max stepped into the common room, glancing around for Alex. She wondered if he were awake or even able to get out of bed. He had caught the brunt of Gracie's attack and she hadn't been kind to him.
 
Alex had come to, but he decided to stay in bed. Everything hurt, but he was also glad that Gracie had not broken anything in her quest to prove they did not belong.

Perhaps they were not Raven, but at least they did some good in Old Town. Nobody else even tried. So if the legendary Raven didn't want them out there helping people, was she a champion of the people as the city claimed?

He could hear Max moving about and smiled. Small, timid Max, she always had his back. Using her ability to find them a way. He relaxed into the cushions.
 
"Are you alright?" Max asked softly as she finally stopped in his doorway as he relaxed against the cushions of his bed. "She beat the hell out of you."
 
Alex managed a weak chuckle, grimacing half-way through it.

"She really wants to show us that we know nothing huh?"

He glanced at Max and waggled his eyebrows, "I did get her to do as I said though. I don't think she would have liked me blowing us all up. Might have placed a damper on her day."
 
"She doesn't want us to do this at all. I can feel a lot of things coming from her when she talks to you about it." Max said as she made her way to Alex's bed and crawled in alongside him. "She's full of hurt and anger. It radiates off her and makes me uncomfortable."

"Maybe we should go home. Maybe we really aren't cut out for this." Max said softly, doubting her own abilities to be Alex's partner.
 
"And I know that you know that she carries guilt with her about something that happened. She will do anything in her power to prove to us that she thinks this is a bad idea. She made Smith drill us in hand-to-hand, yet we both managed to learn and actually become good enough to go to weapons fighting."

He grimaced, "OK so I got beat up, who cares? The only thing that really needs to happen is for you to start believing in yourself. You have this magnificent power, you have used it to save people, you have used it in ways that you didn't think would work, yet it did and you saved people."

He took one of her hands in his and ran his thumb over the calluses forming on her knuckles and the side of the hand, "And you have actually engaged an enemy you knew you could not win. We are cut out for this Max, we may not be the best in it, we may not be trained for it. But we also cannot stand idly by and let people die and suffer needlessly."
 
"We just have to survive, Gracie Montgomery." Max commented as she lay down at Alex's side, her head on his shoulder. "Which I'm not sure that either of us could really do."
 
He chuckled, "We will most likely just have to try, that will be the best thing that we can do at the moment."

He rested his cheek against her head, "Is it my imagination, or was there some kind of doctor here before you woke me up?"
 
"Probably. They don't want us to die just yet." Max said as they lay there together. "They will keep patching us up until we tell them to stop, I suppose."
 
"Or until we don't need patching up from training sessions."

He thought about it a few moments longer, "I do hope that Ms Montgomery does not decide to lead the training again tomorrow. I doubt that I will learn anything from getting beaten to a pulp each time."
 
Back
Top